autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Over Zaino

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Over Zaino

U

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stan0324 View Post
    OK, lets start this again. Obviously, my initial post was not worded correctly. Yes I have owned a Corvette since 1980. Since then I have used Liquid Glass, Mirror Glaze and now Zaino (for the last 20 years). I guess I am looking for options other than Zaino. I am hoping that this forum can recommend something to try that would give me a better look than what I am currently using. Also, just to be clear, I do like Zaino, just seeing what else is out there.

No, I am not soft and I am also a Vietnam Veteran that can take hits when necessary.

So lets try this again.

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. Now that we've gotten the other distractions out of the way let's see if we can help you out.

I used Zaino extensively back in the early 2000's. Some of my pictures are still on their site.

This was back in the day.

Over Zaino-boxster-jpg

Personally I never bought into the layering stuff you'd see on Zaino's website (32 coats lol), even today at most I may put a second coat of the same product but never more than that. I do top sealants on occaision with a finsihing product, maybe a nuba or a spray wax. It's usually dependent on the vehicle and desired results. I try to stay in the family of products when doing so for synergism.

So that being said, I own and have used most of AG's brands of products with exceptional results.

If you want to try something out that is both user friendly and a great deal you can't go wrong with this. You get the protection and shine of the sealant with the warmth and depth of a high grade carnuba. I'm sure it would make your Vette glow!

BLACKFIRE Wet Ice Over Fire Kit, car wax kit

This is the BF combo on my GC a few years ago.

Over Zaino-blackfiremidnightsun2-jpg

Over Zaino-polishedbfmidnightsun-jpg

Over Zaino-bfmidnightsun3-jpg

This is it on my wife's Sonata (old packaging)

Over Zaino-blackfirems-jpg

Over Zaino-blackfirems2-jpg

Their are endless other options but I thought I'd share this proven combination first.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys, stan0324 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another combo I really liked, was from Duragloss - as mentioned earlier as being similar.

The 601 bonding agent + 111.... Very nice. I applied it to a family member's vehicle in the fall, and upon seeing it in the rain today, it's still got the gloss and small, tight beads. It can easily be boosted with Duragloss Aquawax which is a spray and wipe product. It's really hard to go wrong with Duragloss.

Rupes 808, which is a spray on sealant is also very strong, and very glossy. I had it on a car from November 2016 through April of 2017. Still seemed to be holding up. I got to see first hand how strong some of the ingredients were when a semi-dried glob of product ejected from the sprayer. I had to pull the solids off the car, and re-polish areas hit by the thick residue. This type of occurance isn't common.

Post Thanks / Like

@OP, stan0324:

•IMO:
    -Due to the results achieved from using
    the below products on my DSOM C7:
    Finish Kare 303 Glaze; and,
    Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp...

-A TR C7 will also look just as
    fabulous after it’s been treated to
    the exact same duo. (You do still
    have the red C7, don’t you?)

An example:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes stan0324 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a faithful Zaino user on the last three Vettes I have had until two years ago. Switched to Wolfgang Coating shortly after it was released. Had that on there until this week. Literally just finished putting another coating on minutes ago. Good luck with whatever you choose. So many great products out there.

8. Likes stan0324, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    How did I figure you were a Corvette owner, I just knew itOver Zaino

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    If you want to know why I disliked this post drop me a pm.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

10. Thanks SgtMajUSMC thanked for this post
    Likes SgtMajUSMC, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All right, now we are going somewhere

Let me break it down in 3 steps for you.

So, you want to replace Zaino, can you explain why? What feature are you looking for that you are not getting with Zaino?

As other have mentioned, how glossy your paint look is mostly based on the preparation steps, not the protective product you apply. So the first thing you would want to do is purchase a Dual Action Polisher if you do not already own one. Depending on your budget, and how often you plan to use it, I would recommend a Griot's Garage 6'' polisher as a basic machine that is very capable and very inexpensive. If you don't mind spending more, a Griot's Garage Boss 15 or a Rupes Mark II 15mm would give you more correcting ability and would till work decently on the curved panels of a Corvette. I would avoid 21mm machines because you will find it very difficult to use on curved panels.

Second thing, you will need polishing pads for the various stages of work on the paint. If your car has spiderweb scratches, micro marring, oxydation, or light scratches, you will want cutting pads to remove the damage in the paint. The most efficient and agressive of those are microfiber cutting pads used with a compound. You can also use foam cutting pads but they are much less efficient, and thus will require more work (and time) to remove the same amount of damage.

Then you will want foam polishing pads to use along a finishing polish to make the paint shine. There are various grades of pads but the diffence is minimal. As for products, again a ton of them available but as long as it says finishing polish you should be good.

As a protecting product, the two main categories are sealants and ceramic coatings. If you are looking for long term protection, you will want a coating. McKee's 37 paint coating is very easy to use, gives excellent results and lasts about 2 years on a typical car. An other easy to use product would be Optimum Gloss Paint, again a 2 year coating.

If you prefer to apply the product often, there are several amazing paint sealants on the market, the one I like most is Menzerna (also sold under Jescar) PowerLock.

You can also go with a ceramic coating and top it off from time to time with a Ceramic Sealant such as CarPro Reload. This gives amazing gloss and water repellency.

Hope this gives you at least some of the answers you were looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You want the Zaino Z2
    I call FOUL! Moderator just broke the forum rules by recommending products not sold by AG... Over Zaino
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

13. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

to the OP First off.....thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service.... second...thank you for giving our forum a second shot. I have learned so much since joining this forum ( not just car detailing). I have tried to contribute and have welcomed advise. I know that you will find us welcoming and respectful.

Post Thanks / Like

Strong 4 year bump....

16. Likes seabiscut88, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast