autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Over Zaino

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Over Zaino

OK, lets start this again. Obviously, my initial post was not worded correctly. Yes I have owned a Corvette since 1980. Since then I have used Liquid Glass, Mirror Glaze and now Zaino (for the last 20 years). I guess I am looking for options other than Zaino. I am hoping that this forum can recommend something to try that would give me a better look than what I am currently using. Also, just to be clear, I do like Zaino, just seeing what else is out there.

No, I am not soft and I am also a Vietnam Veteran that can take hits when necessary.

So lets try this again.

Thanks

2. Likes DBAILEY, N/A, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did I figure you were a Corvette owner, I just knew itOver Zaino

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes grisby, jaamz liked this post
    Dislikes custmsprty disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the Polished Angel products if the looks is your biggest concern/desire. The durability has been as good or better than any Zaino product that I have used.

They are pricey and I had been reluctant to try their stuff, but once I did it's been no question that its the best my car has ever looked since doing this as a hobby for 20 years and for money for the last 13 years.

6. Likes stan0324 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by stan0324 View Post

I am hoping that this forum can recommend something to try that would give me a better look than what I am currently using.

I don't normally go this deep but because we did recently buff out a 1980 Corvette thus I have a full write-up documenting the before, during and after results, I'll share this with you here.

I do want to say that unlike using most waxes and sealants, in order to apply a ceramic paint coating you must first chemically strip the paint to remove any oils or other substances, (like previously applied waxes or sealants), or order for the ceramic paint coating to form a proper bond.

If memory serves me correctly, Sal recommended wiping your car down with IPA for the same reason before applying either the Zaino Z1 or Z2 products? So same idea...

And the good news is GYEON just introduced their GYEON ONE coating which is specifically formulated and intended for first time users of a ceramic coating. I also have a full review on this new product I can share but here's the 1980 Corvette...

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

The entire process in the write-up...

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

8. Likes stan0324 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, lets start this again. Obviously, my initial post was not worded correctly. Yes I have owned a Corvette since 1980. Since then I have used Liquid Glass, Mirror Glaze and now Zaino (for the last 20 years). I guess I am looking for options other than Zaino. I am hoping that this forum can recommend something to try that would give me a better look than what I am currently using. Also, just to be clear, I do like Zaino, just seeing what else is out there.

No, I am not soft and I am also a Vietnam Veteran that can take hits when necessary.

So lets try this again.

Thanks
    I'm sorry, I got confused between your thread title and the post content, I wasn't sure what your goal was.

So you want a deep wet look...a lot of that comes from surface prep, or as a member here used to say "the pop is in the prep". I'm sure Mike Phillips will tell you that the deep wet look comes from surface smoothness, and that comes from polishing. I know Zaino calls Z-2 and Z-5 "polishes" but over here a polish is an abrasive that smooths the surface of the paint.

If you just want to try a different sealant than Zaino (I happen to like Zaino, very good beading longevity), here are a few that are popular here:

BLACKFIRE Paint Sealant, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.

Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105

Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant

EDIT: I see Mike beat me with a Corvette writeup---he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

10. Likes stan0324 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Sal recommended wiping your car down with IPA for the same reason before applying either the Zaino Z1 or Z2 products?
    I thought Sal was the father of the Dawn wash, at least that's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I know Sal Zaino, he’s a cool cat.
    Have you talked to Sal lately? He hasn't launched any new products since Feb. 2007...he's at least missed the boat on selling a paint prep instead of Dawn or IPA

I'm sometimes down his way, I'd knock on his door and see if he's ok but of course I don't know him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm sorry, I got confused between your thread title and the post content, I wasn't sure what your goal was.

So you want a deep wet look...a lot of that comes from surface prep, or as a member here used to say "the pop is in the prep". I'm sure Mike Phillips will tell you that the deep wet look comes from surface smoothness, and that comes from polishing. I know Zaino calls Z-2 and Z-5 "polishes" but over here a polish is an abrasive that smooths the surface of the paint.

If you just want to try a different sealant than Zaino (I happen to like Zaino, very good beading longevity), here are a few that are popular here:

BLACKFIRE Paint Sealant, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.

Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105

Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant

EDIT: I see Mike beat me with a Corvette writeup---he'll get you pointed in the right direction.
    Great advice about the surfice prep. Here is another great thread Mike wrote a few years ago regarding surface prep. There are some great shots of a black, custom Vette too.

Making the Metallic Flake Pop! - Popping versus Muting

What color is the car? Some products look differently on certain colors. What might look great on silver and white might not look as good on a darker color and vice versa.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Thanks stan0324 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My question would be what do you use the car for? Is it a DD or is it a fun weekend car that you don't drive in the rain? Because I would suggest polish angel products if you want the look and ease of use. Especially if you do take your car to shows. Other wise if it is a clear coat/base cost, then I do suggest a coating. I personally like c quartz UK but it probably shouldn't be a beginners one since it can be a bit finicky. Polish angels coating is simple to use. Gyeon has simple to use ones as well.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

15. Thanks stan0324 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stan I have been using Zanio products for over 10 years they are great products. My last few details I have done I used Wolfgang deep gloss sealant over some of my Zaino cars that just needed maintenance and have seen very good results. Hope you don't leave this site because there is a lot of great information here.

17. Likes N/A, stan0324 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So lets try this again.

Thanks
    Thanks for hanging in there and sticking with us. And sorry for the slight hiccups, very unusual as I commonly find all folks here quite helpful always.

About the only one other dislike I had of Zaino's goodies was a seeming high cost, that and shipping charges. Here you can often catch really great sales on all the products and get free shipping, that's a great perk IMO.

Hmm, a 1980 Corvette I take it. I owned a Vette once myself, a 1967 Stingray Covertible, White with Black Top and Interior.

If you wish to stick with Sealants, then all of the Palm Beach House Brands here, such as McKees, Wolfgang, and Blackfire products are all outstanding, you won't find a dud with any product within any of these lines.

I am a big fan of Wolfgang, and have used many, their Trim Protectants, their Sealant such as Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is an absolute killer product, one which I believe you would say easily surpasses the Zaino Z2, and others. Both the look, and the ease of use, you'd be hard pressed finding a Sealant that comes off so easily, and cleanly, and leaves behind a most stunning just stand there and stare with a can't take your eyes off it look.

As the Deep Gloss Sealant air cures, and as some hours pass, it even looks better yet! You will say to yourself, "It sure looked good just after wipe off, but now it really pops and there will be a number of "wows" said! Longevity is also very good.

It should be noted, and that if you are after that hard, sterile glassy shine that Zaino typically provides and as others say about it, the WG Sealant 3.0 will provide that look in spades. Especially when further topped with a product like Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Detailer. (Been there and done that, oh yeah, fantastic look!)

There are a myriad of protectant options, such as very good hybrid waxes such as the Collinite Line of products, basically dirt cheap, and they commonly have little peer as far as how long they last and protect. Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, #476 and #915 Paste Waxes are also both superb, they are benchmark premier products that have stood the test of time and have a great number of loyal fans, including myself. They will give a deeper, more Carnauba Look, yet offer lasting protection that even the most expensive Hand Poured Estate Paste Waxes cannot duplicate.

And there's the "new kid in town", Ceramic-Quartz Coatings. I more recently chose a Ceramic Coating on my beloved 1997 Chevy Tahoe (with 44K on the Odo) because at 21 years of age, the paint surely is not getting better, nor thicker as the ravages of time, sun-uv, washings, road salts again, and other maladies take their toll.

I decided to choose a more durable protection than any Wax or Sealant could provide, and help the original paint last the longest it possibly could. Currently, my Tahoe is not so much a garage queen anymore, and is basically getting everyday use at present.

Again, and getting back to the Palm Beach products and others showcased here, Optima, Ultima, Sonax, Meguiars,and so many others, that many of the products here you won't easily find in the big box stores. Products such as water based Tire Dressings that will protect and not harm tires or rubber. Durable Trim Sealants, cleaners, tools, machines, etc.

Now that your a member, and a search function at your fingertips, you can browse, and research to your heart's content of any products you wish to investigate, read others comments and reviews of all the products, see some great work many of the members do, and read and enjoy many of the topics and videos Mike Phillips, our forum expert guru shows, and can help with.

19. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes stan0324, cyclops, PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast