autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Sonax CC36 Ceramic Coating

Really good work on the review and follow up videos Mike! Love that hyper aggressive beading on the first rinse, mesmerizing. CC36 after using the Gloss Coat has some of the tightest beading I've seen. Thanks for posting your results!

2. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Really good work on the review and follow up videos Mike! Love that hyper aggressive beading on the first rinse, mesmerizing. CC36 after using the Gloss Coat has some of the tightest beading I've seen. Thanks for posting your results!
    Thanks. I agree with you on Sonax having some of the tightest water beading even more so than Gloss Coat. I also think CC36 looks a little better.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up, fair and square but that's to be expected with you Guz! When I was deciding on a coating it was between this and WGU and I chose the later because it was available at the time, Sonax wasn't. I'm looking forward to seeing how this does but with the high spots that "decloaked" with WGU when it got cool outside makes me not wanna use it again. I mean I did apply a 2nd coat about 5-6 hrs later but that shouldn't have been an issue and I did a complete prep before applying the coating.

BTW the car looks awesome as always!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Great write up, fair and square but that's to be expected with you Guz! When I was deciding on a coating it was between this and WGU and I chose the later because it was available at the time, Sonax wasn't. I'm looking forward to seeing how this does but with the high spots that "decloaked" with WGU when it got cool outside makes me not wanna use it again. I mean I did apply a 2nd coat about 5-6 hrs later but that shouldn't have been an issue and I did a complete prep before applying the coating.

BTW the car looks awesome as always!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

Sonax is doing great at the moment. Gave my car a two bucket wash after not 2 weeks of not washing it. Fantastic water behavior. Sheet rinsing left no water on it and I was able to dry the remaining water with the McKee's turbo car dryer and no towels. So far this has proven to be a better performer over Gloss Coat and PBL V2.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping up this thread only to mention that it is currently on sale for a good price.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-cc36-...c-coating.html

Along with a nice kit.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-12-deal-kit2.html

Post Thanks / Like

At 6 months the coating seems to be holding up well. As I have mentioned in other videos, I have left the driver side hood untouched and left it as bare coating. The rest of the car has been maintained with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer here and there.

My car sits outside 24/7 and is exposed to the Southern California elements. Seemed to do well during the two days last week when it rained. I noticed that Sonax CC36 does indeed repel better than the side that has BSD on it. It also attracts less dust side by side.

What I did notice a couple weeks ago during a bucket wash is that the coating appeared to be contaminated with road grime from another sporadic rain storm that passed. Also the city workers working on the street near by. After washing it with Reset this weekend, it appears the coating is doing well. Beading and sheeting is still good. Not as good as it was when first applied.

At this 6 month mark, Sonax recommends to use Polymer Net Shield to extend the life of the coating as they share similar chemistry. I am primarily only using BSD to see if that is good enough

I am confident that it will make the claimed 1 year mark easily here in So Cal. It would be hard to say in harsher environments. At the 1 year mark I will do a decon wash to see if that either degrades the coating or leaves it ok as the Sonax representative never gave me good answer on whether or not and iron remover would damage the coating.

The beading at 6 months still looks good.

I ran out of daylight so I did not capture any sheeting videos. Just a quick wash with Reset.

On to 9 months and I will report back.

9. Likes jknudsen27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick update based on a little something I have noticed in the water behavior. As of late there has been some rain here in sunny So Cal.

This is a direct comparison on the hood that has the driver side just with the coating an topper and the passenger side that was topped in January with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Since then I have not used BSD on the paint. What I noticed is that when I get on the highway the side of the hood that is coating only with no toppers sheets water off faster at lower speed compared to the side that has BSD as the topper. The surface tension is definitely altered at this point. Not necessarily a bad thing but just something to keep in mind if someone decides to use BSD or PNS.

As of this point forward there will be no toppers used as I approach the 1 year mark and give my final evaluation.

This is not as noticeable when washing and rinsing the vehicle.

11. Likes SWETM, osiapstndp liked this post
    Dislikes osiapstndp disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update! That's something that is not done often and is very helpfull for those that wants to know about the real world experience. I'm a little confused about cc36 as in the EU it's claims a longevity up to 36 months. But that seems to be with the PNS application every 6th month during that time. And that's not something that are mentioned in the description of the product. Don't think it's a different product here than you have either. Looking forward to your final thoughts about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Quick update based on a little something I have noticed in the water behavior. As of late there has been some rain here in sunny So Cal.

This is a direct comparison on the hood that has the driver side just with the coating an topper and the passenger side that was topped in January with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Since then I have not used BSD on the paint. What I noticed is that when I get on the highway the side of the hood that is coating only with no toppers sheets water off faster at lower speed compared to the side that has BSD as the topper. The surface tension is definitely altered at this point. Not necessarily a bad thing but just something to keep in mind if someone decides to use BSD or PNS.

As of this point forward there will be no toppers used as I approach the 1 year mark and give my final evaluation.

This is not as noticeable when washing and rinsing the vehicle.
    Sorry, I clicked on the "like" button and somehow it did a "dislike." That was not intended. I'm not sure why "dislike" is even an option.

Thank you for the update. It's great to see that the side that hasn't had a topper is still doing well after all this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Thanks for the update! That's something that is not done often and is very helpfull for those that wants to know about the real world experience. I'm a little confused about cc36 as in the EU it's claims a longevity up to 36 months. But that seems to be with the PNS application every 6th month during that time. And that's not something that are mentioned in the description of the product. Don't think it's a different product here than you have either. Looking forward to your final thoughts about it.
    From what Dimi Habermeier (Sonax rep from Europe/South America) mentioned to me, the products are the same other than the paint prep not included for the US market because it can not meet regulations. I recall it being mentioned by the Sonax US reps on a video stating the same thing. That in order to achieve the 36 months they recommend PNS every 6 months.

I am in an area where there is no exposure to snow or harsh chemicals. Living by the coast has it's perks . So I can not comment on how it would react to that environment. But this may be a case where PNS before the winter could be a good thing to act as a sacrificial layer.

Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post
    Sorry, I clicked on the "like" button and somehow it did a "dislike." That was not intended. I'm not sure why "dislike" is even an option.

Thank you for the update. It's great to see that the side that hasn't had a topper is still doing well after all this time.
    No worries. It happens.

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast