autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boats are here for Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek!

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaG View Post
    This is a must class for anyone that details boats in any way.

There were many seasoned boat detailers in this last class. I can personally testify that all of them were amazed and angry.

Amazed at learning how simple it can really be with the right products and tools.

Angry because of all the money they have been missing out on because of lack of knowledge.

I took this class to be able to offer more to my future customers.

Great class Mike.

If you have been thinking about taking this class do it. You will not regret it.

I may need your advise/input in the coming months re boats.

Hope you chime in here at forum to help me out!!

Good to hear that the class was helpful!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

2. Likes Aaryn NZ, BubbaG liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Question. Ive been waiting to see the pictures of the 2018 class and the after pictures but cant seem to find them.
    Is there another thread? or are they not up yet?

Mike Phillips

Continued....

People learn by doing, not sitting I a chair -Mike Phillips

I promise all my classes are the MOST hands-on detailing classes on Planet Earth and I keep my promise.

A technique I learned from Jason Rose was to start the class by asking each person why they were attending the class and what they were looking to get out of the class. I have horrible hand writing but I did take these pictures to show what I learned from the students. At the end of the class we review each topic and the goal is I will have covered everything.

After asking each student why they are hear and what they want to take-away from the class, next we go over a brief Power Point Presentation that included safety followed by hand wetsanding and machine wet sanding techniques, there's no more sitting in this class, in fact this first session was the end of butt-time. Now it's time to get up and start learning. Now it's time to get out of your chairs and start burning off the donuts!

First a demonstration on how to wetsand by hand followed by wetsanding by machine. In all my classes I teach the concept that most only talk about and that is,

"How to work smarter instead of harder"

Detailing boats starts with the brain, not the buffer -Mike Phillips

I told everyone I would show them the FASTEST way to buff out a boat from start to finish and when I say a "boat" I mean a boat in wasted condition. Because if you can bring back a boat that most people would say is past the point of no return you can bring back ANY boat. That's because the process I show is complete. We start with the worst condition and advance the condition to like-new. By using this approach, no matter what condition a boat is in --> you will know where to start in the process to bring it back to life.

After showing everyone how to wetsand by hand and then wetsand by machine using the BEAST aka the FLEX 3401 and let everyone choose their weapon of choice, notice no one is working by hand everyone is machine sanding using the FLEX 3401 8mm gear-driven orbital polisher.

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Don't forget how these boats looked before the class started....

The 28" Rinker

The 21' Trophy

W-a-s-t-e-d....

6. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes clearchoicedetailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Read This!

For those of you who want to get your detailing skills to the next level, this class is for you! Not only will you figure out what the process is and the different combinations of the tools to use, you can also meet and network with other people in the detailing industry!

I really enjoyed this class, "hands on" training with different polishing machines to choose from, I now have a really good idea of what products to use, we went through every inch of these boats using many different cleaners and pads and protectants, it was great!

I learned how to properly clean all the mildew from the interiors, I also performed wet sanding and final coatings!

The boats looked brand new when we were done with them - Nice job!

If you really want to step up your detailing skills, this is the best class around!

Thanks Mike and Andre ~

Mark G
    Clear Choice Detailing

8. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by clearchoicedetailing View Post
    Read This!

For those of you who want to get your detailing skills to the next level, this class is for you! Not only will you figure out what the process is and the different combinations of the tools to use, you can also meet and network with other people in the detailing industry!

I really enjoyed this class, "hands on" training with different polishing machines to choose from, I now have a really good idea of what products to use, we went through every inch of these boats using many different cleaners and pads and protectants, it was great!

I learned how to properly clean all the mildew from the interiors, I also performed wet sanding and final coatings!

The boats looked brand new when we were done with them - Nice job!

If you really want to step up your detailing skills, this is the best class around!

Thanks Mike and Andre ~

Mark G
    Clear Choice Detailing

Thank you Mark for taking the time to join the forum and then sharing your experience.

That makes about 3, 4 maybe 5 people out of the 24 that took the class have taken the time to do so far.

I truly appreciate it.

L

Mike Phillips

Wow!

As I'm going through all the pictures taken on Saturday, there's only 2 pictures that show the rotary buffer step and there of me holding the rotary buffer after demonstrating how to use this tool to cut out sanding marks.

That's BLUE GEL-COAT you see on the face of the wool cutting pad. I had just used a compound to remove sanding marks off the side of the hull and the results is I'm removing some gel-coat as a part of leveling the surface and the blue pigmented gel-coat is building up on the face of the pad. This is normal too. It's also why you must use a steel spur to clean your pad often as you work around the boat.

The only other shot we have of the compounding step with a rotary buffer and a wool pad.

Next up... removing hologram scratches left by the fibers that make up a wool pad when used on a rotary buffer.

Hologram swirls are technically hologram SCRATCHES. That's right, they are scratches in the gel-coat. It's a NORMAL defect anytime you're using a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Note: Holograms are a specific type of scratch pattern that are SPECIFIC to a rotary buffer. They are not called swirls, or micro-marring or DA Haze or tick marks, the are holograms.

Mike Phillips

Continued....

How to remove holograms and polish gel-coat to a super clear high gloss

Here's how I show...

Tool: FLEX 3401 - This is an 8mm gear-driven orbital polisher. It's so powerful it's called the BEAST! It's perfect for removing hologram swirls out of gel-coat after the rotary buffer step.

Product: Marine 31 Captain's One-Step Compound Polish - This compound uses incredible abrasive technology. It's really the key to removing both the sanding marks and the holograms.

Pads: RUPES Blue & Green foam pads. I prefer the blue coarse pad to ensure all the holograms are removed but the green is also very aggressive in its cut. I let the students use both for experience.

Roger using the FLEX 3401 and a green RUPES pad...

Mark using one of 2 FLEX 3401 polishers I have in the garage without a forward handle. This is normally for cars so you can get under rear view mirrors without the handle in the way.

Carlo using the blue RUPES pad with Captain's Compound to remove holograms...

LOOK at the reflections in the dark blue gel-coat as the class works out all the hologram swirls to create a show car finish on a BOAT!

Here's a reflection of the empty chairs at the tables - this is intense hands-on training, no sitting around in our classes.

Next up.... applying a ceramic coating!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

How to apply a Ceramic Coating to a Gel-Coat Boat

Process is like applying to a car,

1. Remove defects
    2. Chemically strip surface
    3. Apply coating
    4. Follow manufacturer's recommended waiting time
    5. Use clean microfiber towel to give coated section a final buff and remove any high spots

GTechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer and EXO
    To seal the gel-coat we stripped with GTechniq Panel Wipe and the applied one application each of C1 Crystal Laquer and EXO

Here's Mark and Jeff applying C1 to foam applicator pads...

Here's Lindsey applying C1 to a foam applicator pad...

Here's Roger applying the C1 to the side of the Rinker....

Here's Mark and Lindsey coating the side of a 28' Rinker...

This boat is coming out BEAUTIFUL!

Here's Dan applying the C1 coating to the gel-coat finish...

Here's Paul applying the C1 Crystal Lacquer...

Here's Carlo applying C1 Crystal Lacquer...

Here's Jim giving the gel-coat a final buff to remove any high spots...

Here's Lindsey and James giving the gel-coat a final buff....

On the other side of the garage the class is applying Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer to the 21' Trophy...

Here's Andrew applying Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer...

Here's Ron applying Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer....

Here's James giving the gel-coat a gentle buff...

The other side is getting the C1 Crystal Lacquer treatment too...

This gel-coat started out a very white, light oxidized blue - now it's a deep, dark blue....

Gtechniq products are all available at Autogeek.com

On Autogeek.com

GTechniq Exterior Coatings

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Here's the after shots of the 21 Trophy...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast