autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell has a G8 GT and it's HOT!

So a Friend of mine and his wife brought over a 2009 G8 GT that is newer to them for some clean up work. Originally they were thinking just a strong clean up and buff but after re-thinking it and seeing that beautiful red metallic paint covered up by swirl-city from tunnel washes, they thankfully moved to my Option 2: Premium Enhancement package which is a 75%+ correction.

These cell pics in the sun do it no justice at all given it really is a few shades darker and the metallic flake is outstanding. Next time I'll have actually break out a real camera

After a good wash and full decontamination I dried her off and got her ready for the buffer.

Before: Filled with swirls: The entire body was covered. Years of tunnel washes took their toll on the clear. Needless to say, the entire car looked like this:

After: Goodbye Brillo Look. The great news is the paint is decent quality and cleans up nice. Here it is after just 3 passes with CarPro Clear Cut Compound on a purple wool pad mated to my Flex 3401 Buffer.

Again, the flake in the paint is outstanding and really catches the light nicely. So much so that outside, my phone couldn't pick it up. Polishing was done with CarPro Essence and a White Lake Country Hybrid Force Pad. This serves as a great base/primer for the ceramic coating.

Gotta love when the lights clean up as well as the paint:

Overall they should be set for quite a while as the vehicle is at about 90% correction level and protected by two coats of McKee's 37 v2 SiO2 Ceramic Coating.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Thanks Misterpaul thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, GEM65, lane5515, SWETM, Hammer77 and 14 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hell has a G8 GT and it's HOT!

Nice save!
    This picture makes me crazy:
    Hell has a G8 GT and it's HOT!-img_7233-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work and great transformation!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work! The Clear Cut did an amazing job. Can almost imagine the gloss in the sun when the metallic flakes pops. Nice save from a swirlomatic life.

6. Likes Aaryn NZ, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow---That's perfection!

Bet the owners were glad with opting for Option 2: Premium Enhancement package.

Love it when a plan goes well!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great turn around!

10. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stunning! Great work. Besides wheels, any mods?
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

12. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misterpaul View Post
    Stunning! Great work. Besides wheels, any mods?
    It was bone stock when he got it. Added basic bolt ons and is enjoying it as a daily. Headers, exhaust, cam, intake and a tune. Moves out decent for its size.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning results!

I need to look into these new, wool pads. My wife's car would make for a great test bed for sure. It looks like you knew you had to go for the wool but I'm sure you did a test spot anyways.

Btw, love those wheels and if they wanna give them a nice touch, an OEM look, I have a guy who can make decal overlays for the centercaps, a nice Pontiac arrowhead logo would be a nice little touch for not too much money, drop me a PM if they're interested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

15. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Stunning results! I need to look into these new, wool pads. My wife's car would make for a great test bed for sure. It looks like you knew you had to go for the wool but I'm sure you did a test spot anyways.
    Thank you sir! The newer Clear Cut is a game-changer IMO. It really does cut FAST. I though M101 cut fast...but not like this stuff. AND the kicker is it finishes out dang near 100% perfect!! That shot of the fender directly after the before shot was after 3 passes and that very minor haze.....cleared up in 3 very fast passes with a white polishing pad. I didn't track the compounding time but I'm not at all exaggerating if I state that Clear Cut saved me 1hr over the entire car. Less compounding and less polishing time overall.

Pad wise, yes the purple and blue wool have been my go-to for compounding. At the end of the day, I no longer use anything but. The goal of using the least aggressive to me applies but the reality is so long as you cut through the swirls and level it out, it really makes no difference if you're using an medium cut foam pad and 6-8 passes or a wool pad and half as many passes as you end up at the same finishing point/goal. One still has to follow it up with a polish for best results so that's the process I now follow for cars that are medium to heavily swirled out.

Btw, love those wheels and if they wanna give them a nice touch, an OEM look, I have a guy who can make decal overlays for the centercaps, a nice Pontiac arrowhead logo would be a nice little touch for not too much money, drop me a PM if they're interested.
    I'll be sure to let him know. Not sure what his plans are. He had the wheels put on the day before so he may not have sourced new center caps yet. I know he'll be replacing these for sure.

17. Likes SWETM, DetailedByPrecision liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast