autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Water Tank setup....need a little help

I'm no pro, but it does sound like the pump is the issue. I'm also running a Shurflo pump. No check valves in my system. Simple set-up: Water tank, short hose, pump w/added filter, out to hose. On mine, I've had the pump level with the bottom of the tank, and sitting on top of the water tank. No issues either way. Here's a pic showing the way I run it (off a 12v battery that I temporarily pulled from the car for testing/adjusting).

2. Thanks 215Detailing thanked for this post
    Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im going to take my chances and go with that new pump and hope all is well to get back to detailing!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

4. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully! Good Luck.
    Joseph
    JCCarCare

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tested the water flow without the PW connected? That way you are certain if it's the pump or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, initially he was running bare hose with nothing in between and it works "sometimes" so that's a good test IMO. It's the pump. For sure. You see the picture above, a good pump doesn't even need to be gravity fed.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know the quality of the water pump he is useing. But the specs claims 290gph which is about 4.8gpm and a PW at 1.2gpm. I would asume it's well over powered. But sure some water flow capability is lost with the length of hose and how it's feed from the tank. It's a simple thing to test the water flow with the tank and water pump only. To see if it's really the pump or not. And even disconnect the pump and just the tank and hose alone without the pump on the hose.

I would found a pump that is able to be placed on top of the tank or that can draw the water from the top of the tank with a hose. So you don't need to worry about the vacuum that can be alot of problems sometimes.

Just hope that a new water pump solves it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Don't know the quality of the water pump he is useing. But the specs claims 290gph which is about 4.8gpm and a PW at 1.2gpm. I would asume it's well over powered. But sure some water flow capability is lost with the length of hose and how it's feed from the tank. It's a simple thing to test the water flow with the tank and water pump only. To see if it's really the pump or not. And even disconnect the pump and just the tank and hose alone without the pump on the hose.

I would found a pump that is able to be placed on top of the tank or that can draw the water from the top of the tank with a hose. So you don't need to worry about the vacuum that can be alot of problems sometimes.

I have tested all scenarios with and without the pump. The water flow with the pump running out of a hose would be like a kitchen faucet at best, without the pump it's less of course. As in, I can thread the hoses together without getting any resistance or spraying around the connections, if that makes any sense. Either way, neither way is like the pressure that comes out of my water faucet by the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE. The shurflo pump arrived today from amazon.....now the fun part. It seems as though I need to wire in a switch and some terminals to attach to a battery.

For those with this experience, would you suggest I use the switch and terminals from my old Drummond pump....or do I need to look for something different. I have attached pictures.
    Mobile Water Tank setup....need a little help-img_3232-jpg
    Mobile Water Tank setup....need a little help-img_3233-jpg
    Mobile Water Tank setup....need a little help-img_3234-jpg

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly wouldn't use that switch because frankly it looks like a hunk of garbage and if that's the switch from your non working setup it could be the problem. I'm a huge advocate of eliminating all potential problems from a non working setup and adding them back in after you get it working in it's simplest form. Honestly, you don't NEED a switch. You can hook up the pump directly to your power source. The Shurflo is on demand, so it only runs when pressure drops. Pressure only drops when you're using the pressure washer. You could alligator clip it to a battery and unclip it when you're done.

In our setup, for example, we switch the pump on when we get on the jobsite and we don't turn it off again until we leave. That might be 2 hours or 10 hours. The Shurflo doesn't need to be switched on and off continuously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

It's the pump. Or the switch. Would have been nice to see that switch or have it mentioned in the original post because my first recommendation would have been to remove the switch from the setup just to check.

And in case I wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting that the pump is insufficient for this duty. I'm suggesting that the pump is faulty.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast