autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

The only time I allow for there to be any sort of grace period is if the customer isn’t home when I finish. [I don’t like being paid until I’m done]

Post Thanks / Like

Unless it's understood and agreed upon beforehand any stand up person would pay immediately....I don't understand any other thinking it just makes everything else awkward going forward

3. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleankat View Post
    I personally don't give them the keys till I have the cash in my hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I agree, this is a service business, you pay at the time the service is rendered. I don't go to my barbers and after she's done say I'll pay you later.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I wonder if they would accept that type of explanation from their boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Bingo. This isn't a mortgage payment with a grace period. Work is done, pay the bill. Now.
    I think you guys are forgetting the fact that he made a deal with the wife and not the husband... I’ve had times where I have a deal worked out with the wife and the husband has nothing, not even an interest in what I’m doing or how much I’m going to get paid for the job.

I’ve also had a situation where the husband wanted me to do a cheapo detail [I don’t cheapo details] but I spoke to the wife [it was her newly purchased used vehicle] and explained how much better it would turn out if I did what I recommended instead of the bare minimum like her husband wanted to settle for... She agreed with me and I ended up doing a proper clay, polish & seal.

I ended up getting paid alot more for that job than the husband planned on spending, but she wasn’t home when I finished and I had no problem with getting paid a little bit later. I even got a nice tip to top it off. That’s what happens when you deliver personalized customer service. That’s what makes what I [we] do different than a regular “job”.

It goes the other way around as well. I’ve had plenty of times where I let the customer know that it’s going to be a bit longer than expected... But IMO it’s better for me to keep their car longer or even overnight if it’s ok with them, as opposed to giving it back half arse done. “Give me a bit longer so I can get this deal done right”.

How would you like it if a customer made a huge commotion if you weren’t done fully detailing their vehicle by the time you said you’d be done? It would suck right? Especially if all you were trying to do was overdeliver for them. How about if they took it even further and said they weren’t going to pay you a dime because you’re not done exactly when you said you’d be.. Even worse right?

...Relax, everything’s gonna be alright. It’s not like they’re actually going to stiff him for the money. So what’s all this about not giving them their keys until you get the cash in your hands. Cmon now.How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There's some real bad, sissy advice here. Get your money. Put your business owner pants on, call them up and ask for payment and go and collect your payment. Any time you waste will add to the fear of you ever even calling them back, then you'll be out money for a detail and you'll be more scared to move forward and more bitter.

Think about every situation where transactions are made: you get no leeway to take your time making a payment - your credit will take a hit, they'll slap fees on you, they'll take your car, etc. Take control of the situation you put yourself in dude

6. Likes wing commander, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Dislikes mc2hill, sudsmobile, SirTanon disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailhustler View Post
    There's some real bad, sissy advice here. Get your money. Put your business owner pants on, call them up and ask for payment and go and collect your payment. Any time you waste will add to the fear of you ever even calling them back, then you'll be out money for a detail and you'll be more scared to move forward and more bitter.
    You say there’s “sissy advice” here... Yet you assume anyone here has any kind of “fear” regarding this type of situation..

“more scared to move forward”? Who’s the sissy here? Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about sissy advice. The thing to do is be polite and to the point. I am too nice (sissy?) so after I married my current wife she taught me to collect for our work and not to work collecting. Since I met her we do not allow people to owe us money. It is better to loose the customer than your time and money. We had a husband and wife team that agreed on 200 and when the work was complete we get from the wife "I forgot to stop by the bank so I will give you the other 80 tomorrow. I looked at my wife and the now bad faith customer and said you guys wait here a few moments as I take Kieth to the ATM. We got paid and rid of a bad customer at the same time. If the customer did not agree to the ATM trip I would eat crow for years because she warned me to collect upfront since they were a first time customer. My sissy problem is I think everyone is nice and honest. Thankfully she keeps me on alert for trouble.

9. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it very insulting that people so under appreciate the work a detailer does, and this being a 15 HOUR JOB!!! Id be pretty upset to wait 2 or 3 days and after they pay this time they get a new deal next time...1/2 up front and 1/2 before delivery. You have to make that clear though before taking their car ever again. This is pretty sad the poor guy has to wait over 1 hour let alone a day for his payment. These people do not appreciate what you have done for them IMO.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

why not text Her & ask if the husband is not happy with the work ? tell Her He hasn't paid you yet & is their a problem. how can they get in that vehicle each time & not mention how good a job you've done.
    it's time to get paid. while they still realize how bad it was & how much time you had to invest in it. I would of paid you as soon as i got my keys. good luck.
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

Text between wife and I / Husband and I and still waiting LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to remind customers to pay for a detail.-screenshot_20180221-102550-jpg   How to remind customers to pay for a detail.-screenshot_20180221-102556-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, sounds like they’re fleecing you. I bet they want to trade or sell the car and wanted detailed prior.

You have a few options. I assume you have an attorney, you can always type an invoice and a letter demanding payment. At the bottom of the letter “cc” your attorneys name and him/her a copy as well. Send it certified with receipt. Usually seeing “cc ATTY so-n-so: Law offices of...” at the bottom of the letter might show them you mean business.

Next step would be to contact a collection agency where of course they will charge you a fee plus a percentage of the claim being recovered.

At the end of the day you got fleeced by the old husband/wife scam. It’s one of the oldest in the books and used by folks determined to get services for free.
    Back where I lived in NH there were a band of these types and I stayed far away from them or else they’d rob you blind.

Use this as a learning lesson, make adjustments to how you conduct business and move on.

Your VIF or work order should be very clear with details. All jobs for now on when quoted should have “x” % down and the rest due upon receipt. Keys will NOT be handed over until payment is received.

Offer many payment methods:
    Cash, check, square, PayPal, Square Cash App. The cash app is great!

I hope you recover what is due for your hard work, but I think this is more of a learning lesson than a payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast