autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing Plate

Thank you PaulMys for your feedback. I do own nothing but black cars. My 2007 Sequoia is in pretty bad shape. It has severe water spots, swirl marks and scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azacura View Post
    Thank you PaulMys for your feedback. I do own nothing but black cars. My 2007 Sequoia is in pretty bad shape. It has severe water spots, swirl marks and scratches.
    NP, bud. Go with the GG6. It'll make your experience much more enjoyable and way less frustrating.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes custmsprty, azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

btw, you can use the BOSS Pads & Creams with the GG6 and all of the other Griot's Polishers (G21/G15/GG3, etc.) as well...

5. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggested privately to the OP that the Lake Country ThinPro Pads would be a good place to start with either the PC or Griots Machines.
    (As Mike Phillips says, "Thin is In!")

I suggested that for everyday run of the mill correction processes, the white pads will be one basic good one to have on hand, and that dependent upon the aggressiveness of the polishes used, one can achieve varying degrees of correction as required-needed.

This is of course a learned, "hands on" trick-technique that one learns in time, and learns quickly with doing the proverbial "test spots".

Mike P has basically taught us underlings that once you find the right combination of Pads, Polishes, and technique on a given test panel, to then repeat the same processes on the rest of the vehicle. In essence this is correct, but there are of course the variables, where the hood, or trunk is beat to hell, the fenders-doors-etc slightly less, so you have to adjust and compensate accordingly.

The major theme and guideline with any detail, and any vehicle is to use the least aggressive methods and products to get the job done to satisfaction.

In other words in layman's terms, start with a very mild ultra fine finishing polish first. See what results that brings you. If not satisfying, one may then either repeat a polishing process again, or then perhaps resort to a slightly more aggressive product and try again till satisfied.

7. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I, just as many 1000's of others here have put in some good homework. I myself have probably read 25,000 posts here, heck, maybe more?!

Was my time invested worth it? Sure was!

Keep in mind that for any proper correction processes to take place, many other things should occur and be done beforehand.

Such as of course the decontamination of Washing, Iron Removers which are usually needed even if the vehicle is brand spanking new, Claying, Washing, Masking, good lighting, many good MF Towels on hand for all the processes.

One that has been accomplished, then, and only then will a good experienced detailer place machine to paint.

9. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely go with the 5" plate.

I've used both the GG6 and the PC, and prefer the PC.

1. Better fit and finish. Feels great in the hands.
    2. Smaller spindle shroud. This facilitates 3" plate/pad systems if you decide to go that route.

I usually use Green, blue, and red Buff and Shine foam pads, and Lake Country Hydrotech on with them. I also use the microfiber offerings from both companies too.

More recently I've been putting the Meguiar's thin foam discs to work. Not really a fan of the thin discs, but I love the foams.

My favorite? The Lake Country Hydrotech.

Whatever you do, try and keep that pads matched up to the plates. They're usually designed to be compatible.

11. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Definitely go with the 5" plate.

I've used both the GG6 and the PC, and prefer the PC.

1. Better fit and finish. Feels great in the hands.
    2. Smaller spindle shroud. This facilitates 3" plate/pad systems if you decide to go that route.

I usually use Green, blue, and red Buff and Shine foam pads, and Lake Country Hydrotech on with them. I also use the microfiber offerings from both companies too.

More recently I've been putting the Meguiar's thin foam discs to work. Not really a fan of the thin discs, but I love the foams.

My favorite? The Lake Country Hydrotech.

Whatever you do, try and keep that pads matched up to the plates. They're usually designed to be compatible.
    Your comments put a smile on my face, because reading between the lines I can gather you "walked the walk", with your written opinions to come to these liked personal choices of yours. And to realize that so many of us "old timers here" have done the same.

That this vast wealth of shared information here has many-most of us on quite similar pages of the understanding of the good basis of guidlines of paint correction and car detailing.

Makes me also realize that you, I, and countless others here have probably spent not only multiple hundreds of dollars, but multiple thousands on our hobby. That in retrospect and in hindsight looking back, we most likely never could've realized that we'd all wind up at this highly complex point, amassing such great knowledge and as well that many of us grew such a vast array of tools and products to have on hand in our arsenals.

And that surely, the majority of us have absolutely no regrets with where we've gone and are going. That our loves for this hobby and its addiction and reward always continue to grow.

I hope some of my words and thoughts have not "scared" any newcomers, but gives such people starting out hope and light that this hobby is an enjoyable and rewarding one. The personal pride and accomplishment to say "Hey, I done this, look at how nice my work is, and how fantastic the results are that I have gotten!"

13. Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I'd highly recommend the Griot's GG6 over the PC. It's more powerful and has a lifetime warranty.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

This is the backing plate I put on my GG6, it's excellent and worth the extra $$, get it on a sale.

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate
    I agree with this griots has a lifetime warranty I think both machines come with the 6-inch plate.

Post Thanks / Like

You can switch the plates back and forth but beware a lot of people like the 5 in plate but if use 5-inch pads it takes a lot longer to do the car. I get at least a 5.5 pads.

The 5-inch pads are good too for smaller panels.

16. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Your comments put a smile on my face, because reading between the lines I can gather you "walked the walk", with your written opinions to come to these liked personal choices of yours. And to realize that so many of us "old timers here" have done the same.

That this vast wealth of shared information here has many-most of us on quite similar pages of the understanding of the good basis of guidlines of paint correction and car detailing.

Makes me also realize that you, I, and countless others here have probably spent not only multiple hundreds of dollars, but multiple thousands on our hobby. That in retrospect and in hindsight looking back, we most likely never could've realized that we'd all wind up at this highly complex point, amassing such great knowledge and as well that many of us grew such a vast array of tools and products to have on hand in our arsenals.

And that surely, the majority of us have absolutely no regrets with where we've gone and are going. That our loves for this hobby and its addiction and reward always continue to grow.

I hope some of my words and thoughts have not "scared" any newcomers, but gives such people starting out hope and light that this hobby is an enjoyable and rewarding one. The personal pride and accomplishment to say "Hey, I done this, look at how nice my work is, and how fantastic the results are that I have gotten!"
    Thank you!

I had written a paragraph where I use the PC to make money - mostly in the spring/summer/fall months. That I used the GG6 alongside the PC in a production environment in my friend's shop. We cut certain cars with a rotary/wool combo, and finished with Menz 2500 on either the PC, or GG6. Some cars I used the Meguiar's d/a microfiber correction system using either tool. The GG6 is obviously not a bad tool, I just prefer the PC. That GG6 was his 12th unit in three years. He went through twelve of them. While the lifetime warranty is nice, he's still down a tool. Yes he has backups as do I, but twelve times is a lot to be messing around with mailing out, etc.

The third point I forgot to list in my original post, is that I like supporting the actual manufacturers of the tool. Rupes, Flex, DeWalt, Makita, PC/B&D.. Just a personal preference thing.

18. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast