autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY vs pay $$$

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY vs pay $$$

Quote Originally Posted by jboy2015 View Post
    Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm going to pull the trigger!

Do you guys recommend purchasing white or orange pads? (Or a few of both)
    I'll be working on my single cab ram and my wife's Mercedes c300 using 3D Polish+ and the porter cable
    Both are black with with light to moderate swirls. (More light than moderate)

Thanks again!!
    Try Speed first on the swirls and see if it works. You may be pleasantly surprised. No sense using anything stronger than necessary.

Cut chart is here: http://site.autopia-carcare.com/news...opiaPol800.jpg

3D is in the first row.

2. Thanks bryanviper thanked for this post
    Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd stick with your original plan that ends in Gyeon CanCoat, which will not play well with HD Speed. If yer gonna take the time to put a machine on the paint, may as well used dedicated polish and protect with something a bit more durable than HD Speed. Time wise, you'll save about 15 minutes using HD Speed with it's limited Poxy-ish protection vs polishing + Gyeon CanCoat protection. Have never used Gyeon Polish but a small bottle of Jescar Finishing Polish may be a better choice. Not sure the extent of the defects or if a polish will get ya where ya want to be.

FWIW I started with:
    GG6 DA
    (6) Lake Country Flat Pads - White
    (6) Lake Country Flay Pads - Orange
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 - 8oz
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - 8oz
    Poorboys Tornado Pad Cleaner
    Gyeon Prep - 500ml
    12 Pack Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Unless ya have some deep/more severe defects, the combo will give you medium polish (WG TSR) on orange pads if needed and finishing polish (WG FG) on white pads.

It's a nice overall combo to start with and you can move on from there if needed....or wanted...or compelled because now your teetering on the edge of the rabbit hole.

The Wolfgang 'Twins' are pretty close to Menzerna 2400 & 3500 but you can get 'em in the smaller bottles.

Maybe grab some McKees 914 or Optimun no rinse which you can use in a variety of ways; rinseless wash, waterless wash, clay lube, quick detailer, etc. depending on dilution.

Everybody has their preferences, this worked well for me when I started. Gyeon CanCoat is a steller way to finish off; great gloss, blindingly easy application, great water behavior and self-cleaning characteristics. Recently read review from user who got a year outta it maintaining only with Gyeon Bathe+, a SiO2 infused auto shampoo which would play nice with CanCoat.

4. Likes JustJesus, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's up jboy2015. DIY vs pay $$$I just now saw your thread...

I replied to your PM so you already know my opinion as far as that part...

However as far as paying Chemical Guys $200 for a detailing course? Don't do it bro.. Heck, I'd be happy to walk you through your 1st time polishing if you'd like, and I won't cost anywhere near $200 for the lesson. DIY vs pay $$$lol.

6. Likes jboy2015 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw guys, I polished OP Dodge truck the 1st time around... I'd be happy to guide through any questions in person if requested. DIY vs pay $$$

8. Likes jboy2015, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gyeon polish is a good polish before cancoat. It’s like a 4 oz bottle

Maybe some green pads would be a good one step followed by cancoat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes jboy2015 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jboy - skip the class. I would take Eldorado up on his offer to show you.

Another option, attend one of the 3d/HD FREE classes they do from time to time. It's free. They also show you real-life examples of how to use some of their products.

12. Likes Eldorado2k, jboy2015 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would first practice on a old test hood or panel if you are able to get one if you are going to DIY. I've have many customers that try DIY then turn around and have me fix what they did costing hundreds to thousands of $$$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    The Gyeon polish is a good polish before cancoat. It’s like a 4 oz bottle

Maybe some green pads would be a good one step followed by cancoat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do have some small bottles of Gyeon Compound and Polish, guess I'll give 'em a try soon. The Gyeon Primer I used last week before coating was an absolute delight to use.

15. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DIY all the way! Once you get the Detailing disease, there is NO TURNING BACK! Welcome to the DARK SIDE! I AM NOT YOUR FATHER!! All kidding aside you will have FUN detailing your own ride! By the way, you will get a TON of opinions on product choices. But for a good start custmsprty has the right idea when it comes to pads....6 Orange, 6 White and 2 Red or Black pads. I PREFER Lake Country Pads as they have been the best for me. As for your PC7424XP it is a GREAT starter DA. I still use mine til this day.

You might look at the Griot Garage 6" DA too! That is a little more than the PC, however, it is more powerful and has a LIFETIME Warranty. Have fun and enjoy and let us know what path you took! I am rooting for the DIY path instead of spending the $$. Besides, the detailer might not be that good.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

DIY unless you are doing 20 to 50+ hour paint corrections leave it to a pro. Been detailing for 15 years and still learning how to paint correct some cars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.