autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Spray Wax or McKee's Fast wax

Well a sealant and a wax that both use the same solvent or carrier substance might not be great since there's a chance you're removing the sealant with the wax.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

I would encourage you to try both and see which one you like more.

I'm proud to admit that Optimum Car Wax was the benchmark during the development of McKee's 37 FAST Wax. We analyzed every single formula on the market, and Optimum Car Wax had by far the most "good stuff" in its respective formula. I'm also good friends with the owner and chemist of Optimum Polymer Technologies, Dr. David Ghodoussi. Top notch company.

With that being said, I'm certain that McKee's 37 FAST Wax can "hang" with Optimum Car Wax in any comparison - gloss, slickness, paint protection, etc etc. You will find that McKee's 37 FAST Wax is by far the easiest spray wax on the market (in my biased - but, extremely experienced - opinion. ), especially working on BLACK paint in a humid climate. You will have absolutely ZERO issues with the application of this product. My goal was to take "dummy proof" to a whole new level.

3. Thanks JustJesus, KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely agree with Nick. Try both. They're both great products and easy to use. I mean do half with one half with the other see which one you like more.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

All great suggestions folks...thanks! Was hoping to not buy both but thats probably best way to do a side by side test. With only 2 cars to look after it will last a very long time...but McKee's has told me that the Fast Wax is also suitable for gelcoat finish on our trailer, (although they did say that their RV line would be more suitable to a gelcoat) so I can go through a fair bit of it on there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried the Mckee's but referring to the statement with the trailer. I have a 32' 5th wheel with approx. 960 sq. ft. of fiberglass. I have Collinite as a base and use Optimum Wash and Wax as a rinseless and QD (because of the added Car Wax in this product). Then at no longer than 3 Months I add a coat of Optimum Car Wax and repeat every 3 Months or so. I have had to Rotary/Compound this beast several times over the years until finally coming up with this regiment. Granted, there are still times I have to break out the Collinite 870 but that is still a whole lot better than the rotary, wool pad, compound and the endless hours of work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I have not tried the Mckee's but referring to the statement with the trailer. I have a 32' 5th wheel with approx. 960 sq. ft. of fiberglass. I have Collinite as a base and use Optimum Wash and Wax as a rinseless and QD (because of the added Car Wax in this product). Then at no longer than 3 Months I add a coat of Optimum Car Wax and repeat every 3 Months or so. I have had to Rotary/Compound this beast several times over the years until finally coming up with this regiment. Granted, there are still times I have to break out the Collinite 870 but that is still a whole lot better than the rotary, wool pad, compound and the endless hours of work.

Dave
    Thanks for that suggestion...I have a 31ft 5th wheel and know all too well about how much work it is to keep up the shine and protection on that...I currently use a Meguiar's wax on it but find it doesn't last long enough. I also like to wash it after every trip but often it's not all that dirty, more dusty than anything many times unless we get caught driving in the rain. So I have been looking for a good solution for a rinseless and may just copy your routine. I have never tried the Collonite so will look into that as well. Do you go over your graphics/decals with the Optimum products? If I go the Collonite route I imagine I need to remove the Meguiar's product that is currently still on there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Thanks for that suggestion...I have a 31ft 5th wheel and know all too well about how much work it is to keep up the shine and protection on that...I currently use a Meguiar's wax on it but find it doesn't last long enough. I also like to wash it after every trip but often it's not all that dirty, more dusty than anything many times unless we get caught driving in the rain. So I have been looking for a good solution for a rinseless and may just copy your routine. I have never tried the Collonite so will look into that as well. Do you go over your graphics/decals with the Optimum products? If I go the Collonite route I imagine I need to remove the Meguiar's product that is currently still on there?
    I would use the 870 as it is a cleaner wax with 885 added in to remove any previous wax/contamination. When I go that route in order, 870 then 885 or 476 or 925 or 845. 476 or 885 are the longest lasting and I try to do it once a year. All of those can also be used on vehicles if desired. After a week rinseless wash then Car Wax. I apply everything over the existing 15 year old decals with no ill effects. After that initial start I do the routine rinseless wash/Car Wax application. All the applications I use Buff and Shine's Orange pad for 870 then a Red Pad for wax application just as a reference on pad selection. A MF cloth for Drying and Car Wax application. I have at times gone around the RV with a MF cloth and Wash and Wax mixed as a QD. So far the UVA and UVB protection appears to be doing it's job. I religiously use and do the same on the vehicles and have seen no ill effects with the 870. The vehicles colors are Desert Sand (Toyota) and Driftwood ( Silvery Copper mix on Dodge).

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado2k View Post
    for once, i agree with bob. Lol.
    lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave...Just so I am sure what you are saying...you are talking about a 2 step process right? 1st being the 870 followed by a 2nd step of 1 of the other 4. Your preference is the paste wax over the liquid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Dave...Just so I am sure what you are saying...you are talking about a 2 step process right? 1st being the 870 followed by a 2nd step of 1 of the other 4. Your preference is the paste wax over the liquid?
    Yes. Initially that would be required. Occasionally it may have to be done again, I did it after 2 years as fiberglass sitting outside eventually oxidizes no matter what. I generally use the paste as I really want it to last as long as possible. If using a DA some use a butter knife to spread on the pad, some a old credit card, I have used a Body filler plastic spreader cut to the can opening. The liquids are good if you get the itch to wax after 6 Months

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast