autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much time would a Flex or Mille actually save me?

Background: Have a G15 and Rupes mini as my main polishers. MT300 and GG3 w/2" as backups. I'm thinking eventually as I get more work I'll get a long neck iBrid. I'm not interested in a 21 at this point, I feel my 15 can do everything a 21 can.

However, something I've been considering lately is the Mille. I'm not a huge fan of the 3401 and think the mille would be smoother and easier to operate. What I don't know is if the juice is worth the squeeze, so to speak.

The main role I can see for a mille in my lineup is a single machine that's able to tackle everything the G15 and 75e do but on a production job, especially when mobile. One machine, typically doing an AIO service, able to cover large and small areas either flat or while edging where needed. Time saving of switching machines would be at least a few minutes per job, if not more. That would reserve the G15 and 75e more toward the higher end, multi-step polishing work, even though I could break out the mille for a compounding step and then finish with the G15, I suppose.

What I'm trying to understand is whether investing in the Mille is worth it given the existing tools I have, or if I should bypass the forced machine since I'm so far down the path of free spinning DA, and save the money for other tools/upgrades later on down the line. I'm still mobile and weekend warrior status for sure. I'm hoping to ramp up a little this year, and target between 2-4 cars per week during the good weather, from about April to October.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much time would a Flex or Mille actually save me?

. . . Hesitant at replying to these “this versus that” questions, especially regarding Flex or RUPES polishers but here goes - In my opinion - use what works for you.

Also, for me - if I had to choose just one Polisher it would be the Flex 3401 hands down.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

3. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you may have missed what I was asking....this is less "flex vs rupes" and more "does a forced DA do me any favors or should I invest the money elsewhere"

Post Thanks / Like

I think your money would be better saved and spent on the ibird. The lager stroke on the 15 covers a lot more ground. The Mille only has a 5 mm throw. If you're not having issues getting the job done with the 15 keep using it. As far as the ibird I got a long neck and haven't had any situations that the short neck wouldn't handle. I think the short neck is easier to run one handed.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

6. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Flex 3401 and IMO I think you should stay put. No need to spend the extra $$ as I think you have 2 really great machines (Rupes Mini and G15) that can get the job done in a timely matter. You might save some time but IMO not worth the change. The Flex is louder and more than likely heavier (I have not tried your DA's). I would assume your technique of the G15 and Rupes Mini are sound. The forced rotation would be the only reason to change and IMO that is not significant enough. Now if your G15 broke then maybe the change.

In terms of time saving...that would be a tough call. My opinion with the Flex you would probably save "some" time but at what Return on Investment. My guess not that much.

Remember, I am a Flex 3401 guy too! I love it and I beat the crap out of it a lot (dropped it again 2 weeks ago) and it just keeps on running. I would try the Flex 3401 1st before you make or do not make a switch. You might not even like the Flex 3401 once you try it.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a 3401 at my disposal to try out (a friend’s) but I was definitely leaning more to the Mille.

General opinion seems to line up with mine though in that it’s probably money better spent elsewhere and whatever time I might be able to shave off, minimal as it may be, can probably be made up with adjustments to my current process.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

9. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    I think you may have missed what I was asking....this is less "flex vs rupes" and more "does a forced DA do me any favors or should I invest the money elsewhere"
    Oooh, okay . . . my bad. I assumed from how you listed the polishers you already own & operate & the mention of whether or not a Flex or a RUPES Mille would save you time & perhaps be a stand alone machine that can tackle most/any situation, that you may have been looking for a tool that could be used to tackle most/any situation - hence why I mentioned if it was me looking for one tool to tackle most/any situation I'd choose the Flex 3401. Also - apologies for my assuming that you asking whether these tools could save you any time compared to the tools you already use was being in any sense - a comparison or a "this verses that" situation as I mistakenly said. The fact that you mentioned Flex & Mille in your post title unfortunately lead me to say "regarding Flex or RUPES".

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    I do have a 3401 at my disposal to try out (a friend’s) but I was definitely leaning more to the Mille.

General opinion seems to line up with mine though in that it’s probably money better spent elsewhere and whatever time I might be able to shave off, minimal as it may be, can probably be made up with adjustments to my current process.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    As I also mentioned - "use what works for you". I think you already knew that too . . . & here I was being all hesitant about commenting. Silly me.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a GG15/21 or Rupes 15/21 would I go buy a 3401? NO (As much as I LOVE MY 3401)

Now that I bought a 3401 first would I go buy one of the long throw machines? NOPE.

I think you would be just fine with just about any work (specially AIOs) with your G15!!!
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post a different answer from the others. I would say yes IF you plan on polishing out boats or trailers in the future. I don't see a rotary in your arsenal so I'd you want something that will save you time for doing boats and trailers, then absolutely pick one up. If you dont, then put your money to something else.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

13. Thanks JCDetails thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I'll post a different answer from the others. I would say yes IF you plan on polishing out boats or trailers in the future. I don't see a rotary in your arsenal so I'd you want something that will save you time for doing boats and trailers, then absolutely pick one up. If you dont, then put your money to something else.
    Yes, no rotary yet. I had been considering adding one but for right now I’m not sure it’s needed. When the time comes though it’s seeming like I’d be best to add a true rotary rather than gear driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

15. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast