autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary VS Dual Action for Compounding

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    1- Has not happened yet on things that could be done with a tool. Every instances where the DA could not do it, sanding was required. But I still try the wool pad/rotary combo before jumping to sanding, just in case.
    2- A second of loosing focus with a rotary is all it takes to burn an edge. You can't do that with a DA. Sure if you stay on an edge for a while, the DA can burn through it, but it will never do it in a second like a rotary can.
    3 - And... you can't really do 1 steps with a rotary and get a decent result...
    1 - Could your compounding have been done faster with your rotary?
    2 - Losing focus with a DA can cause dings, scratches, pigtails, etc. so we are not considering human error. So leave burning out of this.
    3 - I have already stated that you should not compound and leave unfinished. So comparing apples to apples, we are comparing only 2 step details. Whether you compound with a rotary or a DA, you still need to follow up with a second step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    1- Has not happened yet on things that could be done with a tool. Every instances where the DA could not do it, sanding was required. But I still try the wool pad/rotary combo before jumping to sanding, just in case.
    2- A second of loosing focus with a rotary is all it takes to burn an edge. You can't do that with a DA. Sure if you stay on an edge for a while, the DA can burn through it, but it will never do it in a second like a rotary can.
    3 - And... you can't really do 1 steps with a rotary and get a decent result...
    Also, it is a misconception about a rotary EASILY burning paint. If you have not done any testing for yourself, how can you make this claim?

Post Thanks / Like

Now know I have not any really experience to this rotary vs 21mm longthrow polisher. The one thing I think about is not which compound step that is faster to the other. But also the last step takes time. If you cut heavy with a rotary or 21mm how long does it takes to finish polish it after the compounding step? Be cause everyone says that the rotary leaves more defects after this than a 21mm. Does you save more time to use 21mm and da with 2 step correction or is it faster still to go rotary and da 2 step correction?
    I think it comes down to the personal preference to do it. What you are most used to use. Say that you are used to work on heavy defects all day and correct sanding marks. You may work faster and more safely with rotary and da. If you you 1/10 times have to heavy compound it's maybe faster for you to use your 21mm.
    That's why I think it's more to what kind of correction you are used to work on. Be cause if the goal is to level down clearcoat to get defects away you are going to do it with either rotary or da or sanding. If you use the method you are most used to use the safer and quicker you get it done.

4. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
    I am just pushing hard questions to get definitive answers.
    If this were really true, you'd do this experiment for yourself.

You asked which cut faster, and then allowed yourself (not anyone else) the luxury of "rephrasing" the question.

What is your opinion - in your experience? Let's answer that before further cross examination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    If this were really true, you'd do this experiment for yourself.

You asked which cut faster, and then allowed yourself (not anyone else) the luxury of "rephrasing" the question.

What is your opinion - in your experience? Let's answer that before further cross examination.
    I have not rephrased MY question, I have only asked to confirm if/then statements, provided others input be true statements

I gave my opinion in the first post.

Mike Phillips

Just to interject here, (because that's what I do, call me the "Interjector")

This is a great discussion, try not to lose focus of the original question, which is about doing a 2-step process starting with a rotary for both speed and defect removal, (that's right right?). And if you look at the third paragraph in my first reply to this thread,

Post #14

The third paragraph states the below and note the portion that is bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

When I say there's a million ways to skin a cat, what you use depends on what you want to accomplish plus how much time you want to invest.

Most people detailing cars for money should be doing production detailing or one-steps. By one step I mean using a one-step cleaner/wax and NOT trying to remove each and every single defect because they can't charge enough to make it profitable. Here's my article on this topic,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

But for those of you working on your OWN CAR where time and money is not an issue, then cut with rotary and finish with an orbital. For those of you doing this for money,

Match your services to your customer

If you sold a one-step package stick with an orbital.

If you sold a two-step process then you should still be using an orbital.

If you sold a 3-step package then you're free to do as you will when it comes to tool choice. Use a rotary followed by an orbital or use an orbital for both step. You know your skill level with your tools, you can figure this stuff out.

The Big Picture

Keep in mind, that the fact that we are all members of a car detailing discussion forum... talking about car detailing... means we all have more in common than differences.

Make sense?

8. Likes Paul A., SWETM, Mariana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Just to interject here, (because that's what I do, call me the "Interjector")

This is a great discussion, try not to lose focus of the original question, which is about doing a 2-step process starting with a rotary for both speed and defect removal, (that's right right?). And if you look at the third paragraph in my first reply to this thread,

Post #14

The third paragraph states the below and note the portion that is bold.

Most people detailing cars for money should be doing production detailing or one-steps. By one step I mean using a one-step cleaner/wax and NOT trying to remove each and every single defect because they can't charge enough to make it profitable. Here's my article on this topic,

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

But for those of you working on your OWN CAR where time and money is not an issue, then cut with rotary and finish with an orbital. For those of you doing this for money,

Match your services to your customer

If you sold a one-step package stick with an orbital.

If you sold a two-step process then you should still be using an orbital.

If you sold a 3-step package then you're free to do as you will when it comes to tool choice. Use a rotary followed by an orbital or use an orbital for both step. You know your skill level with your tools, you can figure this stuff out.

The Big Picture

Keep in mind, that the fact that we are all members of a car detailing discussion forum... talking about car detailing... means we all have more in common than differences.

Make sense?

Mike, correct. I am talking about using a 2 step process for the correction work. Step 2 remains the same in both instances, a DA that removes the rotary work and finishes down well. The variable here is step one. For a car that needs heavy compounding, grab the Rotary or grab the DA to make step 1 more efficient. I also wanted to keep "burn" out of the discussion because an experienced rotary operator will not burn the paint. A DA can heat paint to unsafe temperature as well. So do not consider burn an issue. (DA's even the new long throws, are advertised as safe to the inexperienced user but many users say it will cut faster than a rotary - how can this be true? faster cut and still safer? and if so, why then is the rotary so dangerous if it doesn't cut as fast?)

I am using this forum to try to hash out facts instead of misconceptions for each tool. Not to say someone is doing something wrong. If I am challenging your statements, tell me the data behind your initial response. If you have trouble answering my follow up questions or statements, don't take it personally, in fact, ask yourself why it is hard to answer. This type of reasoning can only make everyone more knowledgeable.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always enjoyed the many different perspectives and experience levels here. Because of that I enjoy these discussions.

However (and also because of those opinions) I find it damn near impossible to ever get a definitive answer to these types of questions i.e. everyone agrees with a single conclusive point.

I read every post in discussions like these. I get great value out of some who offer things like "I can cut as fast as a rotary with X machine and Y pad". Especially when that combo is something I have not tried (yet). I never argue with that. I can't. I like to maintain an open mind and consider the fact, as Mike puts it, there are many ways to skin a cat.

As I said earlier, I tend to agree with your original post, jslym777 on some jobs however not ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I have always enjoyed the many different perspectives and experience levels here. Because of that I enjoy these discussions.

However (and also because of those opinions) I find it damn near impossible to ever get a definitive answer to these types of questions i.e. everyone agrees with a single conclusive point.

I read every post in discussions like these. I get great value out of some who offer things like "I can cut as fast as a rotary with X machine and Y pad". Especially when that combo is something I have not tried (yet). I never argue with that. I can't. I like to maintain an open mind and consider the fact, as Mike puts it, there are many ways to skin a cat.

As I said earlier, I tend to agree with your original post, jslym777 on some jobs however not ALL.
    Of course, not all jobs require that much compounding, and if you can achieve results in one step, efficiently, then you should take it. But also consider how long you are spending on your single step. If it takes you 20 minutes to work one panel in a single step compared to a 2 step that takes you 7 minutes to cut and 8 minutes to finish, you're still better off with the 2 step process.

12. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. However on my 2 step I might need my rotary for 4 minutes OR my Flex 3401 for 6 mins depending on the job and paint in front of me.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast