autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well I don't use clay anymore but I do use a clay towel, fine grade speedy prep towel, once a month to keep the paint smooth. I do this when doing a RW but once the panel is cleaned I would re-soak the panel and wipe down with the speedy prep towel to decon the paint. I have recently bought both of the Griot's clay towels but the fine grade will the one I'll using most of the time as I stay ontop of my car and the other Griot's towel will be used for cars I do on the side that are neglected. I have never had any marring with my clay towel except when my Nanoskin gave up the ghost and boy did it marr the paint, looked like a gooey mess but I was able to remove with hand polishing.

Now about IronX once a year on a coated car, IMO this seems a bit extreme as its so strong and this would certainly compromise the paint coating, I feel using a fine grade clay towel as a part of a routine maintainence program, atleast this is what I've been doing.

I appreciate all the info here, not only am I learning something but surely others are as well

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, Old thread, some things have changed while other things haven't. I feel now that rubbing a clay towel on the surface does more to compromise the paint coating due to friction. Now although an Iron remover is strong it's simply sprayed on, allowed to dwell and then rinsed off. What I like to do is this, spray the car down with the iron remover and then foam the car down, let dwell and then do my wash. Doing this only removes the iron and when letting it sit and then foamed, breaks everything down and it's simply washes away.

As far as coatings go, I'm on board but will be doing a new coating come spring of 2018. I had mystery high spots appear on cool, late spring and some cool summer mornings, didn't like that. This was a good 6 weeks after the coating was applied/cured, also came back in the late summer/fall too but not as bad. I did everything to the paint prior to the coating too, even waited 5 hrs between 1st and 2nd coats too. I know I didn't have this issue in the past with other coatings so I'm moving on come spring 2018. I have learned how important it is to use N914 and Ech2o for my WW and RW needs though and 2BM washes will use coating friendly soaps, already started doing this, I'm ready!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

I’ve been dabbling in the coatings the last year or so. Like you roger I always have to be doing something to my car. Wether it’s my DD or my Challenger I like to lay the wax/sealant down. I’m just a carnauba guy at heart.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Ahhh, Old thread, some things have changed while other things haven't. I feel now that rubbing a clay towel on the surface does more to compromise the paint coating due to friction. Now although an Iron remover is strong it's simply sprayed on, allowed to dwell and then rinsed off. What I like to do is this, spray the car down with the iron remover and then foam the car down, let dwell and then do my wash. Doing this only removes the iron and when letting it sit and then foamed, breaks everything down and it's simply washes away.

As far as coatings go, I'm on board but will be doing a new coating come spring of 2018. I had mystery high spots appear on cool, late spring and some cool summer mornings, didn't like that. This was a good 6 weeks after the coating was applied/cured, also came back in the late summer/fall too but not as bad. I did everything to the paint prior to the coating too, even waited 5 hrs between 1st and 2nd coats too. I know I didn't have this issue in the past with other coatings so I'm moving on come spring 2018. I have learned how important it is to use N914 and Ech2o for my WW and RW needs though and 2BM washes will use coating friendly soaps, already started doing this, I'm ready!

Have you tested a Iron Foam product? Seems to get a longer dwell time and maybe not so harsch. But coatings are very resistant to chemicals on the acid side and up to ph12 often on the alkaline(basic) side. So good thinking when switching from the clay mitt to iron remover instead. If your beading loosing it's performence test carpro spotless as it often revives coatings behavior. Or any water spot remover will work. There is actually car schampos out there now with a water spot and mineral deposits remover in them. They recommend to every 6-8 weeks wash with this soap to release any mineral deposits that has bonded to the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I will indeed have an Iron soap by spring, good callGoing to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kitGoing to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

SWETM, are there any brands that have a car shampoo with a water spot and mineral deposits remover in them that you can mention without breaking the forum rules?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not aware of a shampoo with spot remover.

The spot removers are tricky things. They definitely do something to the hydrophobic properties of your coating, but I doubt they remove the coating itself. I think this would be hard to tell anyway since coatings are sub-micron in thickness.

I'd use a pH neutral soap and if needed some CarPro Spotless or Gyeon Water Spot Remover. I hear 3D makes one, and it is particularly potent.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Klasse, just curious why are you switching to something new in spring 2018? Do you feel the Wolfgang is failing, or do you just have the itch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Klasse, just curious why are you switching to something new in spring 2018? Do you feel the Wolfgang is failing, or do you just have the itch?
    I've had these high spots appear when it's cool out, like in the early summer and early fall. Saw one thius past Sat too, shaped like a V on the side of rear bumper, odd spot, wasn't apart of where these high spots usually reared their head.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortuneally I don't think it's sold in the US. So I'm not certain if I break the rules if writing it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast