autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff

I've read many threads here at AG re: both guns and cannons, but can't yet figure out the better item for my situation - I'm a backyard detailer with an 05 Pacifica and an 06 300c SRT8. I wash both...a lot using the 2 bucket approach, but it takes me a long time and wifey doesn't like that.

If I understand from the threads and vids, cannons result in a greater density of suds that sit on the panel longer relative to guns. Is that the case?

I do not have a pressure washer, but wifey does want one of those for other household chores, so I might have an in to get one, but money is tight as we are saving for a house.

So...the question is - for the 1x a week car wash guy who lives in Portland, OR where it rains from October through April, what would be appropriate?

With the winter rains, I'd love to find a product where I could drive for the week and get a good layer of road film and then have a wash product that I spray on, dwell, rinse and be done. Is that available? Or do I need the mitt to get that film off anyway?

Look forward to your advice, suggestions, etc. TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff

You're going to need the mitt regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

a rinseless/waterless wash might be something you want to look into. you wash a panel and then dry it...

4. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both. The Foam Gun is faster, no pressure washer to get out, plug in, and put away. If I'm in a hurry, I use the foam gun in one hand and a wash mitt in the other. If I have time, I pressure wash the car and use the foam cannon, and then use the pressure washer spray gun in one hand and a wash mitt in the other. I just squeeze soap on the wash mitt and blast the mitt every half panel with the pressure washer (no extension on the spray gun).

6. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep reading reviews of these foam guns and it's wild the varying opinions. Though, my eyes tell me that there's a huge difference between a foam gun that sprays soapy water and a foam cannon that sprays heavy suds. I just don't know how to assess what is "better". Pressure washing gets the nod to knocking off caked on dirt, but my cars rarely ever have that. Lubricity-wise, it seems that the foam gun and cannon are the same if the point is to get some lubricant wash liquid on the paint surface.

When I wash, I tend to do the roof, hood, and rear deck lid first, rinse, then windows all around, rinse, then one side, rinse, other side, rinse, front and back, rinse. I'm supposing that using a foam gun, I'd spray top-down, then 2-bucket wash, so I'm really just adding a step, thereby extending my wash time, yeah?

Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff

IMO there's not much difference between using a foam gun and taking your wash bucket and dumping it across your hood. Would it make any significant difference if you did that? No. Lol.

Foam cannon, while it won't exactly result in touchless washing, provides suds that actually cling to the vehicle and combined with the force of the power washer actually makes a difference. i.e. takes full advantage of an effective wheel & tire cleaner and can truly make it a touch less procedure.

9. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    IMO there's not much difference between using a foam gun and taking your wash bucket and dumping it across your hood. Would it make any significant difference if you did that? No. Lol.

Foam cannon, while it won't exactly result in touchless washing, provides suds that actually cling to the vehicle and combined with the force of the power washer actually makes a difference. i.e. takes full advantage of an effective wheel & tire cleaner and can truly make it a touch less procedure.
    Yeah, I find it takes me a long time to clean my SRT8 wheels for Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner and two Daytona brushes. I'd love to spray that stuff on all the way around, then foam it up, and then rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

As I read your post, you are looking for speed. A foam gun, foam cannon or pressure washer may improve the quality of your wash, but will slow you down overall. The set up and break down will cost you several minutes. A two bucket or rinseless wash requires minimal set up and break down time. With any wash, you still have to run a sponge, mitt, MF etc. over the paint. As Eldorado mentions, you can mimic the effect of a foam gun by loading up a sponge with soapy water and squeezing it out on your car.

12. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    As I read your post, you are looking for speed. A foam gun, foam cannon or pressure washer may improve the quality of your wash, but will slow you down overall. The set up and break down will cost you several minutes. A two bucket or rinseless wash requires minimal set up and break down time. With any wash, you still have to run a sponge, mitt, MF etc. over the paint. As Eldorado mentions, you can mimic the effect of a foam gun by loading up a sponge with soapy water and squeezing it out on your car.
    Thanks...

I wonder how the pro detailers do it then using a power washer and lance....do they wash the car with the power washer and then start the polish/wax procedure?

Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff-dsc_4928-jpg
    Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff-dsc_4932-jpg
    Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff-dsc_4936-jpg
    Foam gun vs foam cannon - weekend warrior stuff-dsc_4941-jpg

I use it as a prewash and think it's loosen up dirt well. Useing the spray pattern from the power wash to clean it from the bottom up. Under the summer this can be a quick wash. I take the car for a spinn to dry it and you could use a leafblower too. Dont recommend to dry it with mf towels as it's not safe that you get 100% clean and can induse scratches.
    After this I usely 2bm wash with carpro reset and dry and finish with a qd.
    You don't get all the traffic film away with just foamcannon and prewash soap. But IME I get it so that it's acceptable clean. It does not take away the 2bm or other methods. Do you have a powerfull power wash it does not take long to do this IMO.

15. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast