autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to coil an extension cord

Over/under - the only way to go. Been in pro audio for 30 years and the LAST thing you want to do is untangle 50+ mic/power cables for a show. Believe me, it WASTES valuable time. You only have so much time before the artist sound check, and for every min. wasted on untangling cables is time not spent on sound check.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used the old wrap it from your hand to your elbow method but I think Ill give over and under a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don't think I could get used to that over under method. And don't ya just love it when a person leaves out important information such as how he said to tie it once you're done, but didn't even take a moment to show how to tie it...

It's probably just me though, I'm the type of person that needs the directions to be complete when I happen to be following them... Leave them unfinished and I'm very bad at completing them sometimes. Same thing with typos, they tend to confuse the heck out of me and I have a hard time figuring out what people meant to say if their post is full of typos.

I'll stick to the knot method that's been working for me. Plus it rolls up the cord twice as fast and ties itself.
    tbh, it doesn't take anymore time then if you were to roll it up around your elbow like many still do. i just got done doing yard work and rolled up two 50ft cords with ease. i tend to roll it up like the guy in the video above where you just twist your wrist on the second part which is the under (you can do it that way or like the guy in the first video it doesn't matter). it's nice to just drop the cord on the ground and have it lay flat as you pull it...

Post Thanks / Like

how to coil an extension cord

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    tbh, it doesn't take anymore time then if you were to roll it up around your elbow like many still do. i just got done doing yard work and rolled up two 50ft cords with ease. i tend to roll it up like the guy in the video above where you just twist your wrist on the second part which is the under (you can do it that way or like the guy in the first video it doesn't matter). it's nice to just drop the cord on the ground and have it lay flat as you pull it...
    I like this way because it's twice as fast as you're rolling up both sides at once + it ties itself. It's also impossible to tangle. how to coil an extension cord

Not to mention, that guy in the vid didn't show how to tie it, so I'll be left with a loose cord...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I like this way because it's twice as fast as you're rolling up both sides at once + it ties itself. It's also impossible to tangle. how to coil an extension cord

Not to mention, that guy in the vid didn't show how to tie it, so I'll be left with a loose cord...
    No need to tie it at the end, I just plug it in to the other side or you can take a some string about a two feet or so and tie a middle knot (at the end of the cord) and then wrap it around the cord and tie a knot when you're done using it. Its real easy. The whole point of doing it this way (over/under) is to prevent any memory or twist in the cord. If you are happy with the way you do it then its all good...

6. Thanks jimhanus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zip ties have tons of uses. I always carry a pack of them in my detail bag... Just make sure to also have some scissors because you'll need them too.

Post Thanks / Like

IME, still the best way to store extension cords...

Post Thanks / Like

I’m an over/under guy. Nothing beats throwing 50+ feet of extension cord like a horseshoe and having it unravel perfectly every time.

I leave the ends loose and hang them on a hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes VISITOR, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I’m an over/under guy. Nothing beats throwing 50+ feet of extension cord like a horseshoe and having it unravel perfectly every time.

I leave the ends loose and hang them on a hook

Same here.

It also helps to have a quality cord. Those $11.99 green "outdoor" 14 gauge Walmart cords will tangle with even the best methods. And, the loose/cheap male and female connections can cause havoc with any tools. (i.e. your expensive polisher you just bought).

I have two 12 gauge HD cords. The 100' one was 90 bucks. The 50' was $40 or so.

Sounds like a lot of money, but with care they will last you a lifetime.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes VISITOR, Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Same here.

It also helps to have a quality cord.

Sounds like a lot of money, but with care they will last you a lifetime.
    I’ve alway been willing to spend money on something that’ll last longer, as I see it as an investment. Certainly didn’t get that trait from my parents growing up (or maybe I did just out of frustration) because they never wanted to invest in anything. Not even things they’d use daily. Constantly replacing cords, tools, you name it. End up spending more in the long run than just dropping the initial cash for a quality item that’ll last you years/come with a good warranty.

I do also seem to have great luck with cheaper things I’ll buy if I’m not sure I want to commit and invest. I think it’s just because I’ve always taken care of my things. I guess that’s partially thanks to my step dads constant berating me to “leave things as I found them or better” when i was growing up.

I used to be 265lbs, and when I was starting my journey to lose the weight (ended up down at 185) I decided to do two things: start weighing my food, and weigh myself everyday. I bought an $8 food scale with horrible reviews and a $15 scale that also had mixed reviews.

About 4 years later and both still work perfectly. Which is frustrating because I had honestly planned to get a nicer food scale once mine had broken. But it never did.

Long winded way of saying I agree, and take care of your things and they’ll take care of you.

14. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast