autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Crystal Serum Light

See what I just wrote here...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1443323

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

I've written a number of times on this forum that my own experience is that a coated car gets a dirt stain on the coating just like any LSP on any car. The stain doesn't wash off. So how do you get the dirt stain off?

If you compound or polish the paint now the coating is gone. So now what? Re-coat the car? If you try any other way to remove the dirt stain you still don't know what's left on the surface because there's no true or accurate test to determine what's on the surface. All anyone can do is simply guess.

And that's how coatings go...

That's why "m not sure I'm sold on the idea of long lasting anything, waxes, sealants or coatings. Sure the "protection" might be there but if the car in question is a DAILY DRIVER then the surface is going to get a dirt stain on the surface and for this reason if you want the car to look it's best ALL THE TIME then you must do something to it at least once in a while.

Kind of back to what I started typing about 20 years ago...

“Find something you like and use it often”

Only "Find something you like and use it often" doesn't apply to coatings but it does apply to cleaner/waxes. Thus the reason I use a light cutting cleaner/wax to maintain that show room new look on my own daily driver that is driven, parked and stored outside 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you’re reading this and you don’t know what I mean when I say that the paint on daily driver’s gets dirty? Then read these two articles and look at the pictures…

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Here's why you need to polish paint...

2. Thanks Dan K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
    I'm having CSL applied soon, and am stoked about it.

I asked my detailer about exo, and he told me in his opinion, it's a waste of money and chemical if csl is already being applied. But would be happy to apply exo and charge me for it. Lol

I will use the c2v3 over it once in a while. CSL seems like a great deal to me. I was looking at opticoat pro, but that was SOOOO expensive to have done.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I would be interested in his opinion on the hydrophobic properties of both. The main reason I use EXO on top is because I read the CSL wasn't as hydrophobic. It sounds like he's used both as stand alones
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

The GTechniq USA rep also advised that EXO on top of CSL was not necessary as CSL is slicker and harder than EXO. EXO may be a little more hydrophobic, but that has no real benefit to the vehicle owner.

As I mentioned, I have CSL on the hood of my personal vehicle, and it is very hydrophobic IMO. Water just slides right off of it in the rain or during washes.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Though I'm the least "experted" here of anybody in this thread. Seems folks get caught up in water shedding ability. I want swirl protection and for it to be easier to clean.

In regards to Mike's post, that's interesting. I'm not looking for a coating as a means to be able to perform maintenance less on my truck, just to make that maintenance easier. And also, hopefully, to resist light scratching that leads to swirling.

I'll still wash my truck at least weekly, but it is black, and water spots oh so easily! It is my hope that this will make the drying process easier and make my chances of staying on top of it before drying occurs better, and cut down on water spots. And also make it easier. My clear coat seems very soft and susceptible to scratches very easily.

2016 f150. Black

I'm also wondering if this will allow nothing more than a light polish once a year or so, going forward. Then a reapplication in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I have been testing CSL for a while now, with our longest test panel approaching 6 months of abuse. The panel has been washed just twice in the 6 months (most recently last week), and the coating is still as hydrophobic as it was on day 1. Pretty impressive given the circumstances.

I also have CSL applied to the hood of my personal vehicle which is maintained to the highest level and it is performing perfectly, as expected.

To be perfectly honest, CSL is our favorite consumer grade coating on the market right now. The slickness is off the chart, application is a breeze once you get the hang of it, and the protection seems to be on par with any other coating out there.

As far as the 5 year durability, you will notice that GTechniq does mention that in order to maintain hydrophobic properties for such a duration, the coating may need to be topped either with a spray sealant like C2 or with another coating like EXO. However, as we know, water beading is not a representation of actual protection... without opening a can of worms, I'll just say that most vehicles can benefit from a light polish every 1-3 years depending on how they are used, therefore I personally don't pay much attention to coating durability claims past the 3 year mark.

I would highly recommend checking out CSL if you're looking for a new coating to try... you can find my "Initial Impressions" article on the DI Ask-A-Pro Blog.

Hey Zach,
    I've read several of your write ups and always find them very informative. If I'm not mistaken, which I very well could be, you were one of the people that said CSL wasn't as hydrophobic as EXO is that correct? I know beading doesn't equal protection, but I also know customers really like the behavior of water on EXO.
    One more question. I know C2v3 will bond to CSL down the road. Have you tried applying EXO to CSL after it has been on for an extended period of time?? If so does it seem to bond ok?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Exo V3 I see is launched, easier to apply than CSL,more hydrophobic,more glossy and more durable than before (24 months). Also cheaper than CSL. Exo V3 can be used stand alone. Would be nice having two same colour/model cars,one coated with Exo V3 the other with CSL to compare, or if easier split a car or hood down the middle with either. Exo V3 really does look promising on its own.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, seems to me if you want to use exo, it might make the most sense to use only exo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Hey Zach,
    I've read several of your write ups and always find them very informative. If I'm not mistaken, which I very well could be, you were one of the people that said CSL wasn't as hydrophobic as EXO is that correct? I know beading doesn't equal protection, but I also know customers really like the behavior of water on EXO.
    One more question. I know C2v3 will bond to CSL down the road. Have you tried applying EXO to CSL after it has been on for an extended period of time?? If so does it seem to bond ok?

Hi Dave - you'll see in this thread and also in the comments of my CSL article on DI that I mention that CSL is quite hydrophobic. GTechniq states that it is not as hydrophobic as EXO, however that is a bit misleading because CSL is still very hydrophobic per my personal testing... EXO is just ridiculously hydrophobic. I will try to get some videos of the water behavior of CSL on my own cars for reference, but when I drive my car through the rain, the majority of the water just flies right off if that gives you any indication as to how well CSL repels water.

Also, here is a video (not in english) that I found demonstrating CSL vs. CSL + EXO.

CSL on passenger side, CSL+EXO on driver side. Skip to 1:26 to see the hydrophobic properties... as you can see, CSL repels water very well on its own!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Zach. I knew I read somewhere that CSL wasn't as hydrophobic. I have to agree CSL does great. It will definitely be a lot easier not applying EXO over it. Looking forward to trying out Essence + on it. I've got a neighbor/friend who has a black Acura I put CSL on, it's got some fine scratches and marring. I'm not much for taking pictures, but since it's a new product I think posting results on different coatings will be beneficial for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried just applying exo2 or csl over essence or is it still recommended to use panel wipe or that sort prior to app?

Is 2nd layer recommended?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast