autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business

I work full time for the Sheriff's office and have a detailing business on the side. It's not always easy. I've had to turn down a lot of customers in the beginning that called and wanted their cars done on the spot. However, over time, I've developed relationships with other detailers that I trust and have given them my stamp of approval. If I can't handle something, I'll throw it to them, and say something like- I'll have my top technician call you. They do the same when they're too busy to take something and it keeps the business flowing for everyone. The steady accounts will usually keep growing and they will work around your days off if you do a good job. One-timers on the spot tend to pay more, but it's a one time shot, so don't feel bad if you can't capture all of the business. Business is good and keeps growing. Slow and steady, you'll get there. Another thing- fleets. Fleets are great, they usually work well for weekends and will bring constant revenue. Get some fleet accounts and you'll be good. Get your name out there properly via the internet, brand your company well, SEO your website, and the fleets will come to you. Every 1 to 2 years, most company redo their bids for fleet maintenance. If they see your name out there as a major service provider with a professional appeal, you'll be one of the people they'll call.

It can be done... I've got 2 side businesses running. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You should be able to clay a car in under 30 minutes from start to finish.

Watch my video on how to clay a car, it shows you the proper technique...

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Interesting. It seriously takes me about 4 hours to clay a car. Now I do make an extra pass sometimes to double check my work, not wanting to forget any contaminants, but my technique probably needs work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    Interesting. It seriously takes me about 4 hours to clay a car. Now I do make an extra pass sometimes to double check my work, not wanting to forget any contaminants, but my technique probably needs work.
    4 hours to clay a car????? Omg, holy cow! I say this with no disrespect but that's insane sir. No way should it even come remotely close to that for a passenger vehicle or even a large SUV using a traditional clay bar method. I can clay an entire car with my clay mitt in 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    4 hours to clay a car????? Omg, holy cow! I say this with no disrespect but that's insane sir. No way should it even come remotely close to that for a passenger vehicle or even a large SUV using a traditional clay bar method. I can clay an entire car with my clay mitt in 15 minutes.
    That's good to know. Even though detailing can be my happy place and all I've been looking for ways to cut my time down without compromising the quality of my work. And I felt like this was the part where I just wasn't doing it right in terms of how long it took.

Looking at the video an seeing how he goes about it, I can definitely see how I am taking too much time and accomplishing little. One reoccuring learning lesson working in smaller sections. I'll try to take on the world then find out I'll miss a spot or it'll happen so much I'll assume I had. Next thing you know 2 hours go by and you need a breather and you finish in another hour or so and your thinking that shouldn't take this long.

Post Thanks / Like

MIKE.PHILLIPS@AUTOGEEK, I am in the Army. Can you accept the GI BILL classes you offer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post

MIKE.PHILLIPS@AUTOGEEK, I am in the Army. Can you accept the GI BILL classes you offer

Sorry to say but the answer is "no" and that's not because we don't want to accept the funding from a GI Bill but it's OUR Government that has created multiple multiple layers of bureaucracy to comply with before we or ANY type of school can accept the GI Bill funding.

That said, Bob McKee is and has always been very supportive of our men and women in the military. So while our government makes it pretty much impossible for Autogeek, a private sector business to help you, Bob will still help you by offering your our class with a military discount provision.

In the past when we have had someone ask us this question, because the government makes it difficult if not impossible to accept funding from the GI Bill that most people that ask are or were hoping to be able use this option to avoid any or most out-of-pocket expense. Then when this proves to not be the case there's less interest.

If you truly want to attend one of our last two classes for 2016, that's the class in May or the class in September, then give Andre a call at 1-800-869-3011 x244 and he will let you know what Autogeek can do to support your interest in taking one of our classes.

I personally would love to have you attend a future class.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait until I can drive down and take one of your classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by attaboydetail View Post
    I work full time for the Sheriff's office and have a detailing business on the side. It's not always easy. I've had to turn down a lot of customers in the beginning that called and wanted their cars done on the spot. However, over time, I've developed relationships with other detailers that I trust and have given them my stamp of approval. If I can't handle something, I'll throw it to them, and say something like- I'll have my top technician call you. They do the same when they're too busy to take something and it keeps the business flowing for everyone. The steady accounts will usually keep growing and they will work around your days off if you do a good job. One-timers on the spot tend to pay more, but it's a one time shot, so don't feel bad if you can't capture all of the business. Business is good and keeps growing. Slow and steady, you'll get there. Another thing- fleets. Fleets are great, they usually work well for weekends and will bring constant revenue. Get some fleet accounts and you'll be good. Get your name out there properly via the internet, brand your company well, SEO your website, and the fleets will come to you. Every 1 to 2 years, most company redo their bids for fleet maintenance. If they see your name out there as a major service provider with a professional appeal, you'll be one of the people they'll call.

It can be done... I've got 2 side businesses running. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
    Good Luck!
    You probably work for the same county that you live in. I won't name anything, but I'm a LEO in the same county as you. I see people charge roughly 30-40 an hour for a detail job in this thread. Well as you know we make that much in OT or details, so that kind of negates me to have a PT detailing job on the side it seems. How do you feel about this?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11B250 View Post
    You probably work for the same county that you live in. I won't name anything, but I'm a LEO in the same county as you. I see people charge roughly 30-40 an hour for a detail job in this thread. Well as you know we make that much in OT or details, so that kind of negates me to have a PT detailing job on the side it seems. How do you feel about this?
    I hear you. #1 I work for BSO. If you work for Palm Beach SO, then you're getting compensated for your sacrifice much more. #2, I'm a dispatcher, so I make a lot less and try to spend as little time as possible in that hell hole. Lastly, I charge around $119 for a detail on a sedan. That's about 60$/hr assuming I get it done in 2 hours. Sometimes it takes 2.5, but that's ok. It all averages out. But I set my pricing at a point where I'm not taking time away from my family and relaxation unless it's worth my while. Make sense?

10. Likes rpms111 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a guy who helps me part time, so I send him out to do the work with my trailer, compensate him handsomely, and still make a good amount of money for sitting at home. The other day I sent him out to do an full detail with compound and high speed polish on an Escalade. Took him about 6.5 hrs. I have him $250 for the day and I (the company) made $300. Keeps him loyal and that's important to me because he does great work and wants to keep our customers happy.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast