autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber pads questions

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    For intensive correction work we clean out microfiber pads much more frequently than that. In fact, I like to clean them out after every single working area. The fiber structure of the microfiber "fingers" are very similar to microfiber towels. They hold on to polish, paint residue, etc., so it is important to clean them frequently to ensure maximum cutting ability. Otherwise you will have abraded paint residue coating the fibers and blocking the abrasives in your correction fluid from contacting the paint. A dirty, matted down, pad will have significantly less cutting ability compared to a new or freshly cleaned pad.

GSKR, It's fine that you don't like to use microfiber pads. Everyone has their own preferences. I am only giving tips to the OP who asked how to clean them out. Simply saying "Switch to foam pads, microfiber pads don't work," is not a helpful way to contribute to the discussion, IMHO.
    x 1000 with

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    i thought everyone cleans the MF pads after every working section. it literally takes 10 seconds total to walk over, grab the nozzle, hit them and walk back. they are great.
    Absolutely!
    Clean a microfiber pad after EACH section with air. Don't have to remove it from the buffer either. Go inside out, outside in, clockwise, counterclockwise and your done.
    I don't think overall it takes any more time with MF pads than foam as you don't have to swap pads as often, and cleaning (foam) on the fly takes longer than blowing (microfiber)out with air.

Not only that, but air cools the pad while cleaning it. (Doesn't happen with a foam pad like that.) I've been able to easily do vehicles with only 2 microfiber pads time and time again. Where with a foam pad if you're not cleaning on the fly A LOT, and changing pads A LOT, (to stay in front of heat buildup if nothing else) as in you are using 4~6 pads on a vehicle all you're doing is destroying pads.

FWIW... I have orange CCS pads (even yellow and white ones) that I've used on a dozen corrections *in the compounding step* that still work great.

Then again... I have an orange flat one that that was BRAND NEW that I let a guy use ONCE when he was training in my driveway and he melted the crap out of it when I went inside to get a glass of tea!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber pads questions

I have found that microfiber pads need to be "pre cleaned" before being thrown in the washing machine. I prefer to clean mine by hand, and typically use Castille soap. I use the blue Rupes microfiber pads, which makes it very easy to see if I've cleaned them thoroughly enough, when I use a white product like M105, or FG400. Most times I don't clean them out enough, and that's when they don stay soft.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123