autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads to use with Menzerna FG400 & SF4500

Which pads should i use with Menzerna FG400 & SF4500 on DA Flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads to use with Menzerna FG400 & SF4500

Dear,

I use FG400 and SF4000, so I cannot opine precisely on 4500.

For FG400, I like to use cutting pads, like Hybrid Orange or Blue, but I even used white with no issues, however I like to pair white polishing pads with PF2500 or SF4000 I've said above.

I believe that to precisely work FG400 abrasives you need a cutting pad, I mean, I don't think the product would work properly if using a light pad like a finishing pad, and not working Menzerna abrasives properly would leave you with a less than perfect finish.

Another pad that for me is a winner using FG400 combined with 3401 is LC Hybrid WOOL pad, I always use it when I need heavy correction in a fast manner, or to rapidly remove sanding marks.

I had succes using FG400 with MF discs on 3401, mainly for spots and heavy scratches, product works good.

For SF4000 I use white (hybrid, flat, CCS, you name it) polishing, or any other polishing pad (like Meg's yellow polishing which I like a lot), also any Finishing Pad.

For your 4500, maybe you can pair it mainly with finishing pads, but for soft paints with very fine defects, maybe you can use it on white polishing pad for fine defect removal and high gloss finish.

To illustrate that, I'm to use Menzerna Power Protect (PP) Ultra (an AIO by Menzerna that is rated 2 / 10 for cut and 10/10 for gloss) - it's very likely SF4500 characteristics, apart that PP is also a sealant. I'll use it on white pad to get more 'pick / cut' from it while using one step polishing and sealing.

Hope I've helped, please, ask if you need an clearance on my talk, or any more detail I've not commented yet.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

ok you helped me do go deaper, my problem is that there are a lot of pads like lake country pads, mf pads meguairs pads, cobra wafle and i need to chose one of them, then it`s not problem which to use for cuting, which for polishing and which for wax, those things are described in every pad. somehow i like lake country pads can i get those, with they work for me or something work beter than those with fg400 & sp4000 or 4500

Post Thanks / Like

Good, so that means you haven't got any pad and you are willing to order some? Too many options, you don't know what to choose?

For the Flex 3401, LC Hybrid pads are the way to go. The 6.5" fits the standard backing plate, but to use 5" Hybrids you'll need LC interchangeable plate system, they are perfect match for the 4" plate.

Indeed, 3401 is a beast that will move with mainly any pad you put on it, CCS pads are controversy (some love, some hate), but I have many in 6.5" and use them often, they are very durable and do a nice job.

Flats in 6.5" are also good, I have them also in 6" (don't know if AG sells the 6" LC flat), they are thinner than 6.5" but also do an awesome job.

For 4" plate, I use mainly 5" Hybrids, but also 4" CCS or flat for spots, but I think CCS are better because they are thicker compared to 4" flat. They are a 'perfect match' to 4" plate, that means you'll have any security margin regarding plate / pad size - you need to work carefully.

Get those Hybrids, but what you are willing to do? Heavy Correction? Mild Polishing? General (both and many other) use?

Go for at least 1 Hybrid wool, 4 Hybrid Orange Cutting (2 x 6.5" and 2 x 5"), 4 Hybrid White Polishing (same as above) and 4 Hybrid Gray Finishing.

For sealing / waxing, I like Flats, so you can get 1 red, or 1 blue, or even 1 gold pad, or all the three if you have different LSP (last step products), in my use I get Red Flat for sealant and Gold flat for carnauba waxes.

You can do an entire car with 1 waxing/sealing pad, however for cutting you need more pads (they are more abused during use and becomes caked with product), because you'll have to switch pads often to get the best from your polishing.

There's also the Hydrotechs, they are 'monsters' in cutting / finishing ability, but have a downside not being very durable... You can get some to try, they are simple to choose (only 3 options, cutting / polishing / finishing) that tackle almost anything. I like them but haven't re-stocked because of durability issues. IMO, hybrids are 'durable Hydro-techs', you won't regret sticking with them.

I recommend you to take a look on the following posts:

Thorough talk about 3401 and Pads
    Buying the Flex 3401

Great one regarding same subject
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-my-flex.html

Solid Technique to use with Hybrids and Menzerna on Flex 3401
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

I use mainly the technique above, but (sure) with adaptations to my taste and polishing style.

However, the technique thread above is the best point to start from (IMO).

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

These might help you understand what product to use with a corresponding Lake Country foam pad...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. You relly helped me a lot, but as i see i have a lot to read, My mind is going to blow how much time I`m reading and I`m still nowhere. What i compleated until now is Flex 3401, FG400 & SP4500, selant & wax it`s not so complicated, but with pads i have a lot more time to read. Just one more thing, i can`t take more than 50euro for this 2step compound & polish here in our country, its ok with polishes i think maybe i can do somwere 8/10 cars with 32oz(1liter botle) FG400 & 32oz SP4500 but i need to think good with pads, i can`t use as much as i want pads to play with them, to try one and another, with prices they are somewere identicaly, but they must be verry durabe, if they are not durable than i can`t profit from this job.

Anyway thanks a lot for links i will read them all, i will be back here if i need more instructions. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViGi View Post
    Yeah.. You relly helped me a lot, but as i see i have a lot to read, My mind is going to blow how much time I'm reading and I'm still nowhere.
    This isn't surprising and everyone of us stood exactly where you are today at one time or another.

Reading and understanding anything is important but the problem is there's so much to choose from we quickly fall victim to paralysis through analysis....

There are no hard fast rules with detailing that guarantee's perfection and success. Use more aggressive products with course pads and progressively finer products with softer pads.

Menzerna FG-400 - Green Cutting, Orange, and Green Polishing
    Menzerna SF-4500 - Gray, Blue, and Red

Menzerna SF-4500 is super fine and I use it to level the finish after fine polishing to "hopefully" bump up the gloss just a bit more. I would much rather see SF-4000 in place of SF-4500 for 95% of my projects...

A note on FG-400: Although this is the most aggressive product in Menzerna's line up it finishes out so nicely you might be scratching your head wondering why you need anything finer....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Reading and understanding anything is important but the problem is there's so much to choose from we quickly fall victim to paralysis through analysis....
    Thats true, I`m paralysed now.

Menzerna SF-4500 is super fine and I use it to level the finish after fine polishing to "hopefully" bump up the gloss just a bit more. I would much rather see SF-4000 in place of SF-4500 for 95% of my projects...
    I will go with SF-4000 beacuse has more cutting ability and the same gloss as SF-4500

A note on FG-400: Although this is the most aggressive product in Menzerna's line up it finishes out so nicely you might be scratching your head wondering why you need anything finer....
    Because of this i went in SF-4500, anyway i will get it SF-4000 in the cases when i don`t need to start with FG400.

If i have this 2, i thing i dont need IP2000 or PF2500.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViGi View Post
    If i have this 2, i thing i dont need IP2000 or PF2500.
    You'll find situations where the FG-400 and SF-4000 aren't sufficient and having something in between is what's needed. Personally, I'd add PF-2500 to my arsenal because at some point you will need it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    I recommend you to take a look on the following posts:

Thorough talk about 3401 and Pads
    Buying the Flex 3401

Great one regarding same subject
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-my-flex.html

Solid Technique to use with Hybrids and Menzerna on Flex 3401
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

I use mainly the technique above, but (sure) with adaptations to my taste and polishing style.

However, the technique thread above is the best point to start from (IMO).

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

Very helpful links, I think I`m ready now. FG400 - SP4000 Hybrid Orange x2, White x2, Black 1. If i can Changeable Backing Plate System with 5inch Hybrid pads. Very very helpful.

Now will i have profit, as i told you this procedure will cost 50 Euro for a car.

How much cars can i do with FG400 32oz (1 liter)
    How much with SP4000 32oz
    How much with Hybrid Pads, and how to take care for pads to be as much as they can durable.

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast