autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: microfiber vs foam pads?

Update...... I still haven't got the hang of the micro fiber pads i keep marring the paint and can't figure out why.... Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables. Test spot determines the process. If I'm seeing marring in my test spot, I usualy switch to foam on another test spot. No sense for me to add another final polishing step (unless getting paid to do so) if I can get by with less by going with foam.

Which pads and products are you using?
    Are you allowing the product to break down?
    How many pads per vehicle?
    Are you frequently blowing out the pads, or using a brush?
    Any cross contamination of cut/polishing product?
    Tool choice?

I've only used OPT MF and OPT compounds/polishes in combination. While there is a learning curve, I've never had issues with the finished product, whether soft black Porsche CC or hard Merc CC.

If you're using Megs products, I've read that dad07 is willing to walk hands through the process.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Darn good thread.
    Great insight from exceptional professionals.

@Mike P.

Has your opinion changed since new formulated pads have been out for a while?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PERFECTIONPLUS View Post
    Update...... I still haven't got the hang of the micro fiber pads i keep marring the paint and can't figure out why.... Any suggestions?
    Less pressure, keep your pad CLEAN. blow it out with compressed air or use a nylon brush after every single pass. Use the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I love my foam pads, I bought a few MF pads, they worked OK but they don't finish well IMO.
    Once I used MF pads to cut and then used foam pads to finish, great results but having to clean the MF after every section was a bit much for this old man. Lol
    Don't get me wrong, you still need to clean the foam pads but not after every single section.

I do however want to give the Meg's MF pads a once for

Post Thanks / Like

how would you expect MF finishing to perform with po85rd?
    It's never too late to learn a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both but prefer my foam pads, they just finish better than of the MF pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post

@Mike P.

Has your opinion changed since new formulated pads have been out for a while?

Good question, thank you for asking it. Here's what I think based on experience and what I've typed every time this topic comes up.

(Now watch the wording as words are important and too many people on forums are scanners, not readers)

All things being equal, foam will finish out nicer and more consistently than any type of fiber pad on the widest spectrum of paint systems"

Fiber pads, that is a pad where the face is made up of thousands of individual fibers may finish out on most factory paint but on softer paints, both OEM and repaints, the individual fibers will then to impart their own mark.

A foam pad, and specifically a flat faced foam pad, because it offers a uniform surface that has no individual fibers, will finish out better and more consistently on the widest spectrum or variety of paint systems in the world.

Also just to add, the only way to prove this to yourself is to buff out a lot of dark colored cars and then inspect the results under good lighting and this would include chemically stripping the paint. Otherwise your eyes might not be able to detect the true results and this will be very true for white and light colors. When comparing results on all clearcoated cars the underlying color is not the influencing factor as to whether the paint is hard or soft, or more or less prone to scratching or hazing, it's just harder to visually "see" defects on light colors as compared to dark colors.

Beside that, I think the new D302 Polish and the new Xtra Cut Microfiber pads like we shared in the below video are great new additions to the Meguiar's Microfiber DA system and for anyone doing primarily production detailing, working on factory clearcoats, this will give you more tools in the tool chest to choose from when detailing a customer's car.

New Meguiar's MF Training Video

I've been told will have the new products in stock in time for my January Detailing Boot Camp Class so anyone attending this class will be some of the first people in the country and even world to take this new system for a test drive.

Class Info: January Detailing Boot Camp Class

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use microfiber bonnets the same way as the pads. (Bonnets over a foam pad)

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone wash MF pads in a pad washer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast