autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pad cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

pad cleaning

what do you use to clean your pads? Right now, I'm using Dawn detergent and /or Snappy to clean the pads. I have no problems with removing polish from the pads, but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.

Mike Phillips

Re: pad cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by termigator View Post

but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.
    That's a good sign. If a wax or paint sealant washed out of your pads quickly and easily , you would be disappointed, that would mean they would wash off your car quickly and easily.

Post Thanks / Like

The key, I find, is to get them quickly into a bucket with some strong APC in it and let them soak. You don't want them to sit around for a few days and then try to clean them. Dawn PD is about the strongest stuff you can use to break up the wax/sealant. Wear gloves while using it.

Post Thanks / Like

DP Pad Rejuvinator always works for me, best part I can mix up as little or much as needed.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Hot water rinse followed by Dawn PD (spray/rub/sit) for 15-20 minutes MAX. Then hot water soak in sink with FREE detergent with hand/soft brush agitation then machine wash gentle hot water with FREE detergent and a final cold water rinse then dry on a rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    The key, I find, is to get them quickly into a bucket with some strong APC in it and let them soak. You don't want them to sit around for a few days and then try to clean them. Dawn PD is about the strongest stuff you can use to break up the wax/sealant. Wear gloves while using it.

Need a refresher. What's Dawn PD?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by termigator View Post
    Need a refresher. What's Dawn PD?
    Dawn Power Dissolver

I use Snappy Clean. I always rinse the pad under flowing water before going into thee cleaning solution.

Two bucket wash- fill a bucket with 4-5 inches of hot water and add some Snappy Clean to make a concentrated cleaning solution and a rinse bucket full of clean water. Agitate in the solution, rinse and repeat. Working the pad with your thumbs from the center-out under the solution (for me) seems to be the best method. Also I keep a concentrated mix of Snappy Clean in a cheap spray bottle to spray directly into troublesome spots, it works really well. If I had any more pads to clean at one time than the few and far between that I use for my own/friends cars, I would absolutely have a GG Pad Washer.

Post Thanks / Like

termigator,

Here's a relatively big ticket item, but worth every penny, IMO:

Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer,Dual action orbital pad washer, foam and wool pad washer, rotary pad washer, Cyclo pad washer, Porter Cable pad

This thing cleans my pads... all sizes, on the DA or Rotary... better in 30 seconds than my washing machine does in a normal 30 minute cycle, and it doesn't damage the velcro backing. But, I think the real value in the Pad Washer system is that the pads are cleaned instantly, on the job.

I keep mine loaded with water and a few shots of whatever pad cleaner or APC I happen to have handy. I clean the pad washer about every two weeks, but have let it go for about two months with no problem. I'm a weekender... one or two cars per week, plus the family fleet. (The Grit Guard folks probably wouldn't recommend this lax schedule, but I'm just sayin'. lol!)

You may wish to consider the GG Universal Pad Washer as a long term investment in your detailing hobby/business. I haven't done the calculation; however, I'm sure that the GGUPW is paying for itself in pad life.

I'm located about an hour west of you. If you'd like to take the Pad Washer for a spin (pun intended), send me a PM.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I will get one of those pad washers one day. There is no doubt in my mind they are the ticket for best care of your pads!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer Jay. I would love to get the Grit Guard, but financially it's just not in the cards right now. That's a big snook BTW. How big?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast