autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant Petroleum & Silicate free? Water Based?

Hello,

I have always chosen water based trim dressings that are petroleum and silicate free to preserve my trim and not leach anything out of it. I have used 303 aerospace and 1z Einszett Vinyl Rubber Care and Protectant. I have heard great things about Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant but want to know if it is petroleum and silicate free? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant Petroleum & Silicate free? Water Based?

Wg ets is an excellent product as is uttg.

If you want water based get carpro perl.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mean water based as in mix it with water but water based as in non petroleum based with no silicates. Petroleum and silicates can sap the plasticizers over time and lead to premature aging of the rubber. I want to make sure the wolfgang trim sealant wont do this. Maybe someone from autogeek can chime it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Wg ets is an excellent product as is uttg.

If you want water based get carpro perl.
    En-route as we speak....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRXINXS View Post
    I dont mean water based as in mix it with water but water based as in non petroleum based with no silicates. Petroleum and silicates can sap the plasticizers over time and lead to premature aging of the rubber. I want to make sure the wolfgang trim sealant wont do this. Maybe someone from autogeek can chime it?
    Carpro perl is water based as I already mentioned. Grab that if you want water based. Review: CarPro PERL

To answer your question WGETS must be solvent based I'd the scent means anything. Review: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

UTTG and WGETS are excellent products ime. I havent seen any such proof of those claims myself... Where did you obtain your knowledge on how solvent based products affect plastic and rubber? Something you read? I've read that too but never seen proof. I've also read that it depends on the solvent.

Now, something I know is that most plastics are actually made of petroleum so thats the math I'm doing....
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 12-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

So because the perl is water based it definately wont sap anything from my plastics correct? I see it is on BOGO and your review for it looked good!

Post Thanks / Like

Car tires are also petroleum based as they are actually synthetic rubber.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

So because the perl is water based it definately wont sap anything from my plastics correct? I see it is on BOGO
    PERL will most certainly will NOT harm your plastics.

Edit: I see Bob in here. Im looking forward to this one

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

-Depending on the "type and dwell-time", perhaps petroleum may have adverse effects on plasticizers.

-However...........Would you be so kind and please explain/define silicates?
    -Are you saying: You prefer car-care products that don't contain quartz, mica and other common silica-based minerals?

What exactly are the similarities and/or differences between:

-Silicon
    -Silica
    -Silicates
    -Silicone
    -DMS & PDMS

Thanks in advance for any input you may have on these matters.

BTW: I prefer water-based PDMS products. That's just me though.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

What you mean is silicones not silicates. Silicates are the minerals that form rocks like quartz. Silicones contain silica, oxygen, and carbon, and are a polymer. WG ETS is a polymer based product, yet, I don't know exactly how they derive the polymer in it/from what elements. Either way I don't believe it is the oily type of silicone like found in Armorall since it dries and doesn't leave a sticky/oily film that collects dirt. As far as it containing a petroleum product as its carrier and/or catalyst, I am ignorant to what other types of chemicals/liquids, not derived from petroleum, can be used for that purpose to say one way or the other. To know for sure we would have to hear from the chemist that mixed the formula for WG ETS. From my experience with using WGETS on black plastic and rubber I have not seen any ill effects that come from the products you are trying to avoid. I know that on the cap of my WGETS the residue dries to an opaque green, gummy substance, which IMO is not how a plasticizer leaching product would dry, if it would "dry" at all. Silicones are used in cosmetic/health care products and are a low-toxicity, so that means that they can be made to be safe for plastics as well.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast