autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang products turning black paint cloudy?

So, I'm gonna try to keep this brief...

I have a 2006 BMW 5 Series that has some oxidation on the roof, hood, and trunk that I'm trying to remove.
    I purchased Wolfgang Compound, Swirl Remover, Glaze, and Sealant for this job.

I've gone through the entire process from claying, compounding, swirl remover, and glaze. I'm holding off on the sealant until I get this right.

Anyway, after going through this process, the 3x3 area on my roof that I'm starting with has turned a milky white color.
    I washed and clayed it hoping that would take care of it, but it's still there.

I was just told by a local professional detailer it was the product, but I spent a lot of time researching products for this job and I thought I had made a good decision.
    Now, I'm feeling like something's missing...
    After reading up on Mike Phillips, it seems like I may need some type of conditioner? #7?

BTW, I'm using Chemical Guys Hex Pads for the job. I purchased the entire kit...

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Obviously, I can just pay someone to do this, but I'd REALLY like to learn how.
    I enjoy detailing cars. I've just never messed with oxidation before.
    I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing...

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang products turning black paint cloudy?

It'll be really hard to give advice without decent resolution photos. Also, is the cloudiness even in coverage or spotty?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Brett offered the best for follow up help...pictures as good as you can get them. I hate to even think this but it may be clearcoat failing and nothing will bring it back other than a repaint. MAY be but we don't know that. Now, let's not jump the gun and see if you can offer up some pics of the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve2016 View Post

I have a 2006 BMW 5 Series that has some oxidation on the roof, hood, and trunk that I'm trying to remove.

I've gone through the entire process from claying, compounding, swirl remover, and glaze. I'm holding off on the sealant until I get this right.

Anyway, after going through this process, the 3x3 area on my roof that I'm starting with has turned a milky white color.

I was just told by a local professional detailer it was the product, but I spent a lot of time researching products for this job and I thought I had made a good decision.
    After reading up on Mike Phillips, it seems like I may need some type of conditioner? #7?

BTW, I'm using Chemical Guys Hex Pads for the job. I purchased the entire kit...

Thanks!!
    Pictures would be best to really see what is happening. Could be clear coat failure, or something else.

What type of tool were you using, what speed was the tool set on, and how fast were you moving in the area you were correcting (arm speed)?

I had a similar issue occur about 10 years back when I first started out with Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover but it was entirely my fault.

I was using a Porter Cable 7242, orange LC pad, and set at a 6 (the highest it could go). In my frantic movement, the tool almost seemed to create some "haze" in the rear pillar of the car I was working on (Black 2006 Camry).

I ended up following up on that area with some Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing lotion, and that took care of the haze I was seeing.

Once I slowed down and adjusted the tool speed, I never saw that issue again.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Yes, Brett offered the best for follow up help...pictures as good as you can get them. I hate to even think this but it may be clearcoat failing and nothing will bring it back other than a repaint. MAY be but we don't know that. Now, let's not jump the gun and see if you can offer up some pics of the area.
    Yes, pictures will help, but sounds like clear coat failure. Compounds and polishes will not give you a milky look,

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve2016 View Post

Thanks!!
    Sounds to me like clear coat failure.

Roof, hood, trunk are all horizontal panels that are far more susceptible to clear coat failure.

Time to have the car repainted!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else posting. Also, that person who told you it's the product, they don't have any idea what they are talking about. Wolfgang products, the entire line up are high quality products. I've used all of the above mentioned products on black BMW's with excellent results.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

When you clayed the surface was it really grabby,or deos it glide with lube.Take your nail and see if you can etch a mark into the promblem area.pics would be very good if you have the time as stated above.

Post Thanks / Like

i bet its polish sticking to paint..i had same issue when i tried to correct 2012 crv honda paint..Tried so many polish (Hd polish+ , all griots boss polishes ) nothing worked most of them stuck on paint and were never able to get it off.left white residue like in ur case and was never able to get it off with quick detailer or IPA...use P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax to remove the polish that is stuck on paint..this helped me to remove the white residue..now the trick i learned is add one drop of Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze is a final step auto glaze to enhanced the gloss prior to wax application. Get a show car shine with Meguiars #7 Show Car to the pad along with the polish that you are going to use.. this will fix your issue.. i never had issue with Ultimate compound and polish from megs..worked great for my crv...tru P21s it will work..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    i bet its polish sticking to paint..i had same issue when i tried to correct 2012 crv honda paint..tried so many polish (hd polish+ , all griots boss polishes ) nothing worked most of them stuck on paint and were never able to get it off.left white residue like in ur case and was never able to get it off with quick detailer or ipa...use p21s gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser car polish - this pre-wax cleaner and polish is a german blend of quality ingredients that will make wax to remove the polish that is stuck on paint..this helped me to remove the white residue..now the trick i learned is add one drop of meguiars #7 show car glaze is a final step auto glaze to enhanced the gloss prior to wax application. Get a show car shine with meguiars #7 show car to the pad along with the polish that you are going to use.. This will fix your issue.. I never had issue with ultimate compound and polish from megs..worked great for my crv...tru p21s it will work..
    wow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast