autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinse less wash....just feels wrong

I use those Buff & Shine towels for rinsless washing. I bought 5 dozen of them to keep life easy. I pretreat(Rinseless in sprayer) the paint with solution and then use a soaked towel (3 gallon of Rinseless) to wipe a panel. Been using 8-10 towels on each car.

Post Thanks / Like

Rinse less wash....just feels wrong

What feels wrong...is having to drag out a hose, two buckets, foam and soap everywhere including on me, rinse and re-rinse...then clean it all up and put it all away. Throw a high pressure washer into the mix and even more stuff to mess with and trip over. Thanks Dr G for showing us all the light.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I use those Buff & Shine towels for rinsless washing. I bought 5 dozen of them to keep life easy. I pretreat(Rinseless in sprayer) the paint with solution and then use a soaked towel (3 gallon of Rinseless) to wipe a panel. Been using 8-10 towels on each car.
    This is very similar to the way I do it. Pre-treat with a pump sprayer and my product diluted to waterless wash dilution ratio, then have 6-8 towels soaked in a bucket with rinseless solution. I've found that I can do a vehicle with just one gallon of the rinseless and not be wasteful. I always use distilled water for both my waterless and rinseless mixes.

For towels I like the TRC Eagle Edgeless 480 GSM's...
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    ...then clean it all up and put it all away.
    This....I don't mind the dragging, it's the putting it all away that makes a simple wash suddenly take over an hour to wash one car. I usually then wash at least 2 cars to make it worth it.

I ordered a pump sprayer today and may be my new way to wash cars unless I just want some outside time. Will wait for a good microfiber sale and then stock up once again.

Thank,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Been reading up on rinseless vs traditional.

Some questions comes up.

1. If saving water isn't an issue, and you have free flowing acess to water, what is the best for washing and keeping paint safe from swirls? Seems the tradition way.
    2. If Rinseless products are better, why don't we use them instead of traditional car wash soap such as WG Auto bath when doing a traditional wash method?

The Gary Dean use a dozen towels vs 1 microfiber mitt I use now in a traditional wash...... Example......I wash the car with a microfiber mitt in a traditional wash and after I wash a panel, dunk it in my rinse off and scrub bucket.
    3. Why is that ok, but not ok (or preferred) to use a single wash mitt when doing a rinseless wash method f I am still using the 2 bucket method to wash off the mitt after every panel?
    4. Why don't we use the Gary Dean "use a dozen towels" when doing traditional washes instead of 1 wash mitt if we are worried about a dirty mitt/towel ever touching the car again and ditch the 2nd rinse off bucket.

Seems the traditional wash method is the safest or the car detailing world hasn't caught up yet and old habits are hard to break.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool1975 View Post
    Been reading up on rinseless vs traditional.

Some questions comes up.

1. If saving water isn't an issue, and you have free flowing acess to water, what is the best for washing and keeping paint safe from swirls? Seems the tradition way.
    2. If Rinseless products are better, why don't we use them instead of traditional car wash soap such as WG Auto bath when doing a traditional wash method?

The Gary Dean use a dozen towels vs 1 microfiber mitt I use now in a traditional wash...... Example......I wash the car with a microfiber mitt in a traditional wash and after I wash a panel, dunk it in my rinse off and scrub bucket.
    3. Why is that ok, but not ok (or preferred) to use a single wash mitt when doing a rinseless wash method f I am still using the 2 bucket method to wash off the mitt after every panel?
    4. Why don't we use the Gary Dean "use a dozen towels" when doing traditional washes instead of 1 wash mitt if we are worried about a dirty mitt/towel ever touching the car again and ditch the 2nd rinse off bucket.

Seems the traditional wash method is the safest or the car detailing world hasn't caught up yet and old habits are hard to break.
    1. I agree, traditional wash is better & safer.

2. Because they're made to simply wipe the panel clean and don't produce suds. Whereas traditional soap provides suds and different kind of lubricity. Not necessarily better lubricity, but it provides a different user experience.

3. Since you're not pre rinsing the vehicle with water, you're likely picking up alot more dirt as you wipe along the panel to wash the car. And it's more convenient to just move along to another towel, rather than try to clean off so much grit from 1 piece of wash media as you go along.

4. I do, I use no less than 6 mitts for a bucket wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I think foam/suds give people a false sense of security. That and old habits die hard.

1. I guess the traditional wash method should be safer, but I don't really know. Hosing off the car first either way realy doesn't remove much stuck on dirt. A pressure washer may remove more, but I bet if someone where to get all scientific I would think that blasting dirt off the paint at 1500-2000 psi is also causing some scratching. Either way, rinseless or traditional, there is going to be dirt that is being moved across the paint under the wash media. How much depends on the way you use your wash media and how often you rinse or change to a new towel.

2. ?... I do often use a rinseless wash instead of a traditional one, even where others normally would not.

3. I agree, and follow the same method. Also see the first statement made at the benign of my post.

4. I agree that it would be safer to use a technique like that for a traditional wash, but you don't hear people doing that. See first statement again. Edit, like above some do have dedicated mitts for dirtier parts of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr G of Optimum said once that in his opinion ONR was safer to use than any conventional car soap chemically speaking. He also went on to say that the reason his company still offered a conventional soap was that people enjoyed the experience.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

If you feel like you prefer a traditional 2BM wash then just stick with that.

If you read enough forum posts you should quickly come to the conclusion that there is no "best" anything out there. Only what works best for you.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Just do what makes you feel more comfortable. Give the rinseless wash a try and if it's not for you go back to traditional washing.

I agree I was a little skeptical of rinseless washing at first too but it's really all I use now. I definitely believe it's safer than a tradional wash and if my vehicle is a little to dirty it gets a pressure rinse first.

Most important thing is to have fun with whatever you choose!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast