autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotaty buffer - what pads to use

Hello guys,

I have been using DAs for 2 years. I own a Rupes Bigfoot 21, a Meguiars G110V2 and a Griot Garage 3".

I am well stocked on foam pads for those machines in 5.5 inch sizes and 3" sizes.

Now, last year I purchased a Dewalt Rotary polisher. It's a very nice machine but the only pad I currently have for it is a synt. Wool pad. I think this is way too agressive for my level of experience with this machine and I want to get myself several foam pads to use instead.

So I checked Autogeek's store but I am really confused about what I should buy. So I am hoping some of you guys with good experience with rotaries can point me to a few good pads.

What I need are pads to do compounding. For polishing and wax/sealant applications I see no reason not to use my DAs. Unless someone can convince me doing polishing with rotaries would be a good idea... ?

So for compounding, what would be the equivalent of yellow and orange cutting pads for a Rotary? Also, for size, what works best? I believe the backing plate supports pads from 7 to 9 inches? Am I correct?

Finally, can I simply slap on a 5.5" buff and shine or Lake Country pad on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotaty buffer - what pads to use

You can use your 5.5" foam pads on the rotary with a compatible backing plate, like a 5" buff and shine one.

When I was doing dealer cars, I liked to use a rotary with AIO polish, bc u don't have to use any pressure or do many passes to get awesome results.

Nothing is smoother and quicker than a rotary for that application. That being said, I've never used a rupes or flex for longer than a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotaty buffer - what pads to use

Yeah those smaller pads give you more control and help get in tight little areas. I prefer to use the yellow lake county pads for compounding, they are more durable and don't soak in as much product as the softer pads do.