autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish drying quickly

This weekend I was working on a 2012 Subaru WRX with pretty best up paint. I started correction on Sunday afternoon with M205 on an orange hydro pad with the Rupes when it was about 60 degrees outside. The results were great; perfect finish and great gloss. The M205 combo was great on the soft paint, so I called it a night and started again yesterday morning.

When I started, it was a bit chilly in the garage so I turned on the space heater until it hit 60 degrees. I started again with the same combo, but before I could finish my section, the M205 completely dried. Unsure of why, I used some IPA and cleaned off the panel but saw some marring due to the wiping. I tried another few section passes. Same thing. I tried going to HD Adapt on an orange hydro. Same thing. The process continued on different parts of the panel with yellow Rupes combo, orange hydro and SF4500, orange hydro and PF2500, and red crimson hydro with SF4000. I settled on the red crimson with SF4000 on the griots 6” but went through two bottles of panel wipe removing the leftover polish after each section. This turned what could have been two hours of work into 12 hours. I used the griots over the Rupes as it seemed to give better results with the extremely conservative pad and polish combo.

So the question: why? I have never had this happen before, and am completely stumped as to why I achieved great results one night, then had this happen the next morning.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish drying quickly

What machine Speed are you using?

How many passes are you making before it starts to dry out?

How large is each section you are working?

How much product are you applying to the pad for each section?

Post Thanks / Like

Humidity possibly. As temps drop the air can get dry. Then adding a space heater to an already arid environment only makes things worse. During your processes did you try spritzing some water onto the panel?
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did try some water and ONR QD spritz, but it didn't help much, if at all.

On the griots, I was using speed four with the red pad and speed three on the Rupes with the same pad. The sections were small - maybe 1'x1' since I figured reducing the size would reduce the drying, but no dice. As for product, I'd say it's two pea-sized spots. The same amount I've used before with great results.