I'm a complete newbie at this, but this car is mainly a work car now and decided to learn a few things on it and maybe even make it look a little better in the process instead of spending $2,000+ on a repaint.

I've got a few spots all over that the clear coat has completely chipped and peeled off exposing the base paint, with frosting surrounding the exposed area.

I wet sanded the remaining clear coat frosting on the middle of the roof towards the back glass and the corner closest with 1500 grit paper. Afterwards I wiped and wet everything down to give what I'm assuming will be the same look that I would get after I put a coat of clear on the roof (haven't done yet).

My question is if I want to get the the closest possible seamless look (without the dividing lines of the new and oem clear coat), do I have to sand the entire roof down to the basepaint then clear? Everything I've read says to basically not even try to blend clear coat so I won't even attempt.

Do I have any other option besides sanding the entire roof? Polishing maybe? The whole car has these frosting spots everywhere so I would essentially be sanding the clear coat off the entire car if I wanted to get rid of these.

I appreciate any direction you guys can give me, thanks.