autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Production Shop looking for a better Wetsanding Procedure

Well I have been in the business for sometime. I own a production shop and we have been consistently having issues with the buffing. Im ready to make a move and streamline our setup. I make sure the surfaces are clean before sanding and buffing and always clean the buffing pads and use an interface pad on a 3/16" fine throw d.a .Currently we are using trizact 1500 to level the surface. Ideally the next step is to go to the 3m 3000 then 3m 5000 with multiple passes of each. We then use 3m's one step compound and finishing pad on a 8" electric rotary buffer at 1800 speed. When all is said and done we still have light pigtails throughout. I sometimes use mirka 2000 foam pad after the 1500 which helps but doesn't solve the pigtails. I am thinking of switching to a better paper, compound and pad. Any recommendations would be excellent. It seems a lot of users recommend the orange lc pad (which one?) and meguiars 105 compound. We are a production shop but I do a lot of high end restorations where we buff the whole car. I need a setup that is relatively simple so I can avoid confusion with the staff. Thanks Guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Production Shop looking for a better Wetsanding Procedure

to AGO

I think your initial process sounds fine but instead of doing your finish polishing with a rotary, how about using a forced rotation DA like the Flex 3401 (since you mentioned being a production shop, and speed is of the essence). If the final step does not need to be sped through I would also look at a large throw DA (Rupes)

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If I read you correctly, the pigtails are instilled by the 1500# step in your process?

If this is the case, you should attempt to eliminate them at the source

As you know, pigtails are generally caused by debris between the sanding disc and the surface

Try increasing the focus on keeping the sanding disc clean by frequently wiping the painted surface, spraying the pad to remove residue and using adequate lubrication

3M also suggests that when changing sanding discs, make sure you are not holding the machine over the painted surface, as debris can fall off the machine/disc and onto the paint

Good Luck

Post some of your work, would enjoy seeing it

Post Thanks / Like

I'm missing something...are you saying you are a bodyshop and you are cutting fresh paint? Or are you saying you are a detailing shop and are routinely sanding cars that come in to be detailed? Or by "production shop" are you saying that you are reconditioning hacked cars for auction, and that they are all so bad they need to be sanded?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casey79westfali View Post
    I ... always clean the buffing pads. ...When all is said and done we still have light pigtails throughout.
    You always clean the buffing pads! May I ask why you aren't using new pads on each job?

Contaminated pads are likely your problem.

Perhaps you meant that you clean them after each section pass and I at first misunderstood you.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

If I understand your issue correctly, the pigtails would come from the DA process and not the rotary process. A rotary would leave holograms.

Based on that, narrow down the DA process and equipment to find out where the pigtails are coming from. Maybe just a build up of debris in the paper during one of the sanding steps?

Randy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a production body shop and also restore classic cars many of which are show winners. I am meticulous. I know how to get a great finish. Im just looking for a better system. Im not a hack, I don't use old pads and I know that it takes a clean panel, water, paper and pad. My current method works very well once I get through all the steps Im just not happy with the trizact and the overall length of my wet sanding process.

With that being said I like to cut and buff all paint work in my shop. I don't do it because the panels are dirty or to make up for a poor paint application. I just like to make them look the best they can and I think everything looks better properly buffed.

I don't believe in changing out the foam buffing pad for a new one on every job. I do keep them clean and wash them after use and when they get worn I replace them. And the issue is not the buffing its the sanding. If I don't 1500 I have no issues at all once I buff.

What I am noticing is that after I 1500 trizact with clean paper on a clean panel I get light pigtails. I do not get them everywhere. Just a few here and there. I usually come back with some mirka 2000 over the pigtails which removes them and then can finish with 3000 and 5000 3m foam discs and get a great result.

So I guess my concern is two things.

First is anyone using a 1500 paper that they get less pig tailing with then trizact?? It seems to be a problem for many people using the trizact. Im not saying the paper doesn't work Im just not crazy about how careful I have to be with that paper in particular when it comes to pig tailing.

Second the 3m onestep system is ok: Perfect-It 1 No Compound Paint Finishing System - Featured Products - Products.

It works well for production but the compound is a little slow going. Doesn't buff quickly and takes a lot of passes even after 5000. I want to speed up my workflow a bit. Im wondering if a lake country orange pad for compounding with meguiars 105 would be a faster cut and buff then the 3m one step and would eliminate the need for the 5000.

Simply put my entire process is too long.
    1500 trizact (2-5 passes or until desired texture)
    2000 mirka (2-3 passes depending on depth of remove pigtails)
    3000 3m foam (3-4 passes)
    5000 3m foam (3-4 passes)
    Perfect it one step compound on turquoise quick release pad on rotary buffer.

I need an easier process. Whats working best for you guys.

Ive been in the business for many years.Heres some of the past years work. My shop does around a 1000 cars a year give or take a little. Mostly insurance work with a handful of restorations throughout the year. Thanks for the advice guys, looking to change my process.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

According to 3M, you are doing everything correctly with the Trizact System

The only variable that hasn't been touched on machine speed during the 1500# sanding step

Is it possible the machine speed is too high?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

And thanks for the pictures

Looks like nice work

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I always keep my buffer speed around 1800. I have resorted to the fact that everytime I wetsand all the way to 5000 there are still traces of pigtails no matter how much I am to baby the job. I'm just starting to wonder if a stronger compound would help to pull them out better then 3m's perfect it compound. Like a lake Country orange with m105 or Wolfgang.

At this point in ready to try some new products to see if I can speed my work flow up and maybe eliminate a step of two and save some money while doing it. Having to use the 1500, 2000 Mirka, 3000 and 5000 to get the surface ready for buffing is exhausting day in and day out. The old 3m system was 1500, 3000 and the three perfect it compounds with three colored pads. I still had the pigtail problem on the old system. They're has to be a 1500 paper that won't pigtail like the trizact to be a effective. As well as a buffer/pad setup that can do more pigtail removing then my current setup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast