autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange peel on new vehicle

Godfearingman, I am in the middle of wet sanding my oem paint (dodge) right now. I'm doing it one panel at a time, and I've completed two panels so far. I'm using 1500 grit megs unigrit disks, followed by 3000 grit disks; followed by heavy cut compound on a MF Pad, then a nice finishing medium-to- light polish on a black pad.
    I would say, yes the clear is thinner and it does remove some of the "depth" look, but the clear's orange peel in gone. It was not as delicate of a procedure mentally I made it out to be. Megs makes really nice sanding disks. I believe with some care, it would be really hard to screw it up. Stop often, and check your work. The unigrit pads are not like a buzz saw, they are gentle, yet effective. Like Mike said, Yes my chances of cc failure are higher now, but the car is in the right hands now to have the cc taken care of. I say, go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Godfearingman, I am in the middle of wet sanding my oem paint (dodge) right now. I'm doing it one panel at a time, and I've completed two panels so far. I'm using 1500 grit megs unigrit disks, followed by 3000 grit disks; followed by heavy cut compound on a MF Pad, then a nice finishing medium-to- light polish on a black pad.
    I would say, yes the clear is thinner and it does remove some of the "depth" look, but the clear's orange peel in gone. It was not as delicate of a procedure mentally I made it out to be. Megs makes really nice sanding disks. I believe with some care, it would be really hard to screw it up. Stop often, and check your work. The unigrit pads are not like a buzz saw, they are gentle, yet effective. Like Mike said, Yes my chances of cc failure are higher now, but the car is in the right hands now to have the cc taken care of. I say, go for it.
    well I've never done anything like that I've done waxing and everything myself but nothing as in depth as removing orange peel plus I don't have a garage to work in so chances for contamination are going to way higher along with chances of messing up my paint job. If I had a garage I might try to but I don't I always wax my car every 2-3 months and wash it at least 2-3 days a week so it should stay protected. But nervous about trying since I don't have a garage or carport or anything

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by godfearingman View Post

Ok thanks I'll do that where would I need to post it?
    This forum group tends to have the most eyes in it....

Auto Detailing 101

I gotten a lot faster responses on here than I have another detailing forum that I'm not trying to bad mouth lol.
    No need to say the name...

One thing for sure though.... this forum rocks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This forum group tends to have the most eyes in it....

Auto Detailing 101

No need to say the name...

One thing for sure though.... this forum rocks!

Thanks I just posted it hopefully I can find someone to help me I hate looking at my car and it be cloudy, hazy and rippled looking instead of smooth and black shows up every little imperfection

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw your other "wet-sanding thread"
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-corolla.html

•I'll post here that, IMHO:
    -Wet sanding is absolutely the most effective means for removing surface paint defects.
    -The caveat is that it should only be performed by someone with proper training/experience/tools for this type of "paint correction" on OEM BC/CC paint-systems!

-That's why I'm glad you're going this Professional-route to have your vehicle's paint thusly "corrected".

•I also think that personalities has a lot to do with wet-sanding OEM BC/CC paint-systems.
    -First is your displeasure in the way your nearly-new vehicle looks:
    I hate looking at my car and it be cloudy, hazy and rippled looking instead of smooth and black shows up every little imperfection
    -Secondly: Most of the Professional Detailers I've known over the years approach the paint on every car with the same intolerance that you have for paint imperfections...
    That is what makes them geniuses at their skilled trade!!

Best of Luck!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Just saw your other "wet-sanding thread"
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-corolla.html

•I'll post here that, IMHO:
    -Wet sanding is absolutely the most effective means for removing surface paint defects.
    -The caveat is that it should only be performed by someone with proper training/experience/tools for this type of "paint correction" on OEM BC/CC paint-systems!

-That's why I'm glad you're going this Professional-route to have your vehicle's paint thusly "corrected".

•I also think that personalities has a lot to do with wet-sanding OEM BC/CC paint-systems.
    -First is your displeasure in the way your nearly-new vehicle looks:

-Secondly: Most of the Professional Detailers I've known over the years approach the paint on every car with the same intolerance that you have for paint imperfections...
    That is what makes them geniuses at their skilled trade!!

Best of Luck!!

Bob
    Thanks I already know I've never done it and I'm not ruining the paint on a car with less than 6,100 miles on it with a 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty I haven't gotten any replies about a detailer around here to do it for me hopefully I'll get some I've talked to the dealership numerous times about it and there giving me multiple different reasons why my paint is like this and they keep saying it's not orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't gotten any replies about a detailer around here to do it for me hopefully I'll get some
    Give it some more time...
    There's plenty of AGO members that live in and around North Carolina.

If need be:
    We'll keep bumping that thread.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I believe forum member Bunky lives in Raleigh, North Carolina. He's pretty sharp and may be able to help you out or at least give you a good recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    I believe forum member Bunky lives in Raleigh, North Carolina. He's pretty sharp and may be able to help you out or at least give you a good recommendation.
    Ok thanks how would I get in contact with him?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks how would I get in contact with him?
    If he doesn't see and respond to your threads very shortly...
    I don't believe he'll mind if you leave him a message here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/bunky.html

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast