autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wetsanded a little too much

Hi everyone,

I've spent all this afternoon wetsanding back all my touchup areas applied to stone chips on the front of my daily driver (Applied last weekend). After removing the wetsanding marks with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, I noticed that a few areas I must have wetsanded too deep as it seems for lack of a better word, divoted.

Everything is ok with the paint color however, whilst compounding, I noticed the reflection isnt level, as if I've wetsanded too deep in a few spots, creating a 'divot' in the clearcoat. The only way I can really describe it is similar to hail damage.

Is there a way to level the clearcoat myself or is it going to be one of those 'respray or make do' situations?

I apologise for lack of photos but it's too dark to get a good picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wetsanded a little too much

Did you wetsanded your ride ! If you went too far then you ll need to have that section done by a pro painter .

If not , some will be able to help you out in here .

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!

Wet sanding will level out all the high spots as long as they're about 0.0005 deep.

Paints today are "about" 0.001 to 0.0015 thick and you can sand right through a factory finish is no time at all. The only corrective action to restore the finish now is to repaint.....and add several extra clear coats for wet sanding...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    Saying you wet sanded a little too much is like saying a girl is a little bit pregnant. You need a repaint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bobby, did alot of research here before jumping in and now I'm hooked.

I think deep down I knew a respray was the only solution but was hoping to avoid that. It doesn't look like I've gone all the way through the clear as no color appeared when compounding so since it's the daily driver it's probably not worth doing.

I guess the only comfort for me is that it doesn't stand out as much as the dozens of stone chips that were touched up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Saying you wet sanded a little too much is like saying a girl is a little bit pregnant. You need a repaint.
    PAHAHAHAHAHA Made my entire week...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    LoL!!

Post Thanks / Like

opti coat2 and let it find its own leavel drop or two will work .

Post Thanks / Like
    Short of a repaint, you won't be able to remove them unless you sand the surrounding areas down to the same level, which is a bad idea. I'm sure others may disagree, but one possible option you may have is trying to blend or soften the edges of the "divots" so that they are less visible. I can't say that I'd recommend it, but its an option...
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_abardi View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've spent all this afternoon wetsanding back all my touchup areas applied to stone chips on the front of my daily driver (Applied last weekend). After removing the wetsanding marks with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, I noticed that a few areas I must have wetsanded too deep as it seems for lack of a better word, divoted.

Everything is ok with the paint color however, whilst compounding, I noticed the reflection isnt level, as if I've wetsanded too deep in a few spots, creating a 'divot' in the clearcoat. The only way I can really describe it is similar to hail damage.

Is there a way to level the clearcoat myself or is it going to be one of those 'respray or make do' situations?

I apologise for lack of photos but it's too dark to get a good picture.
    What grade of paper and what machine did you use? It might just be that you need a less aggresive paper or a stronger machine

Anyway for ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast