autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubbed through

Post Thanks / Like

Rubbed through

So, detailing my moms blue Honda Fit. There were a few deep scratches that i wet sanded with 2500grit. Passenger side Rear quarter panel there was a strange looking spot. I hit it with the 2500 grit for 2 passes and then I saw blue in the water from the sand paper. Instantly felt sick and knew. Sure enough there must have been a flaw in the clear coat as I rubbed through. So disappointed! Guess I am going to a body shop tomorrow to get it repaired

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rubbed through

Guess you got a little too gungho...sometimes you just have to let those scratches be.

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed on the door, that I went through an entire ridge the whole length of the door also. Thats just from using a DA. Orange pad and 105. I don't think I will be able to polish this car EVER again. If the clear is already this thin, its a lot thinner now!

Post Thanks / Like

with a clean pad, that had the proper amount of product on it for lubrication. I just dont see how you could get through the clear that easily. Unless the pad was dirty, or you were polishing in the direct sunlight holding a heatgun to the paint as your scrubbed away...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, doesn't sound right. Are you sure it isn't SS paint?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Once again these are comments that cause me to not want to be a part of this site and forum. Why would I make this kind of sh*t up? It pisses me off that I tell my side of the story and guys doubt you. What I explained happened! I'm not happy about it. I'm pretty disapointed that I'm going to be out of pocket a large chunk of money to get the damage repaired. Thanks for your ignorance and doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, settle down! Nobody was saying it didn't happen.

Sheesh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if someone possibly sanded the spots before you.

Sorry that happened to you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho_15 View Post
    I just noticed on the door, that I went through an entire ridge the whole length of the door also. Thats just from using a DA. Orange pad and 105. I don't think I will be able to polish this car EVER again. If the clear is already this thin, its a lot thinner now!
    Yes this is quite possible, paint is thinnest in high spots (ridges, body lines, etc.) and along edges. It is best to tape these spots off when compounding. I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. It's admirable of you to share this experience in hopes of helping others.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho_15 View Post
    Once again these are comments that cause me to not want to be a part of this site and forum. Why would I make this kind of sh*t up? It pisses me off that I tell my side of the story and guys doubt you. What I explained happened! I'm not happy about it. I'm pretty disapointed that I'm going to be out of pocket a large chunk of money to get the damage repaired. Thanks for your ignorance and doubt.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

Its always good to either try a small test area and get a feel for how much clear you can remove whether its by wetsanding or compounding..or even better invest in a paint gauge and check out the surface before doing anything.

If the car is older, used, or you don't know the history its possible the car has been compounded before you ever got to it.

Plus, the imports have very, very little clear on them from the factory anyways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast