Headlight Sander - Takes the work out of sanding headlights...

I've been using the 3" Griot's Garage for dampsanding paint and now for machine wetsanding plastic headlights and it works great!

The below pictures are taken from my Detailing Boot Camp Class May 5th and 6th, page 2 where I demonstrated the 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher for machine sanding plastic headlights.

First we went over handsanding using the Meguiar's backing pad for their discs. I show hand sanding first so after seeing or actually using your muscles to sand plastic I know the students will love and prefer working by machine.

Handsanding Headlights
Next up is headlight polishing, for this we used the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Correction System with a twist, I demonstrated the Meguiar's backing pad for the 3" Sanding Discs but then shared how they also fit on the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and how working by machine takes all the work out of the project.

Wetting the face of the #1000 Unigrit Sanding Disc with plain water...

Hand sanding... (elbow grease)

Machine Sanding Headlights

Machine sanding (no elbow grease)

Everyone pretty much just wanted to work by machine... here's Jeff machine sanding a headlight lens...

Here's Stephan misting some water onto the face of the sanding disc...

Stephan machine sanding a headlight lens

Don machine sanding...

Results after Machine Compounding and Polishing out the sanding marks

Products used...

3" Griot's Garage Mini Orbital Polisher
Be sure to get the 3" Foam Interface Pad if you're planning on using the 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher for sanding headlights for dampsanding paint. It makes keeping the sanding disc flat to the surface easier and makes sanding smoother. Serious.

Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit - G3000

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Sanding Discs

Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Finishing Discs

Flitz ScuffPads
I also demonstrated the Flitz ScuffPads. The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is made of resin-coated non-woven abrasives in cut fiber strands. The flexible, durable sanding pads are perfect for contoured surfaces. Use the pads wet or dry.

The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is the equivalent to 1500 grit sandpaper. On scratched headlight lenses, plastics, wood, composite, and metal, the Mini ScuffPad sands down the scratched surface to create a more uniform surface. When you begin polishing, the entire surface is being leveled at the same rate. The results are uniform and smooth.

Flitz Mini ScuffPads 6 Pack, 1500 Grit