autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: learning on my car wet sanding with 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You can cut orange peel fairly quickly with #1200 but it can leave deeper tracers that you'll end up sanding even more to get them out.

A quality #1500 like then Nikken brand will cut as fast as #1200 and leave a lot less tracers do to the Unigrit particle size and particle distribution over the entire sheet of paper.

Machine sanding is even better with 3M Trizact or Mirka Abralon but you can get it done by hand.

If you want to be safe, stick with the #1500 and only sand till the peel is just gone, then move onto #2000 and even #2500 depending upon how old the paint is.

Fresh paint is usually considered a few day old to a week, after that it starts to get pretty hard. You can still sand it easily but buffing out sanding marks will be more difficult.

It's better, faster and safer to spend time up front sanding to a high grit and reduce the amount of time and work spent behind a buffer than it is to sand to a low grit and then spend a lot of time buffing in an effort to get your sanding marks out.

If it were me I would get an a aggressive wool cutting pad as this will cut out the sanding marks quickly so you don't heat the paint up as much and risk melting it or burning through it.

Then use foam for your follow-up steps to remove any swirls left by the wool pad fibers and compounding abrasive particles.

<3 thanks mike that makes so much sense. luckly i didnt sand more then i needed to with the 1200. i only sanded untill i leveled orange peal constantly using a 3m rubber squeegee to keep track of my sanding area. i will spot sand the major areas and "tracers" from the 1200 with my 1500 and 2000 ever so lightly and go run out to pick up a 3m wool head tomorrow @ gladwin paint shop down town. they were so helpful today

and omg u guys are so fricken nice here. seriously... every ones in it for the passion and thats very obvious on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

I see that you said you have medium cut.... I would probably give this a try as I have used it after painting... 3M Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound, 3m perfect it extra cut compound, 3m rubbing compound 06060

That along with the wool pad will get the job done quite fast. Just remember to use your foam (like Mike said) to follow up on taking the swirls left by the compounding. 1200 is a bit agressive for my tastes, so I always tend to take a bit more time using something less agressive. It seems more time consuming, but the end product is always stunning. Good luck!
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnZephyr2006 View Post
    I see that you said you have medium cut.... I would probably give this a try as I have used it after painting... 3M Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut Rubbing Compound, 3m perfect it extra cut compound, 3m rubbing compound 06060

That along with the wool pad will get the job done quite fast. Just remember to use your foam (like Mike said) to follow up on taking the swirls left by the compounding. 1200 is a bit agressive for my tastes, so I always tend to take a bit more time using something less agressive. It seems more time consuming, but the end product is always stunning. Good luck!
    i just spent 100 bux on compound and buffing heads i dont have the extra cash to spend on the other compounds. the medium cut or what ever cut 05973 is works great but 1200 grit was just a bit to much idk what brand the 1200 was but i am assuming a lesser brand name cuz of the random deep tracers i got i dont have many but they are there luckly few and far between. i have 1500 and 2000 now that i am working from home and not the shop.

i do have swirl remover. even with the wool head i made swirls , i'll be working on it today and posting pictures of progress if i am able to show swirls and stuff in the pictures.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post

i do have swirl remover. even with the wool head i made swirls , i'll be working on it today and posting pictures of progress if i am able to show swirls and stuff in the pictures.
    Correct.

The individual fibers that make up a wool pad each cut into the paint and create swirls.

The cutting ability of the fibers is what makes a wool pad a great pad for cutting or abrading the paint to remove the sanding marks but the downside is it leaves its own scratches or swirls in the paint. This is why you need to follow any wool cutting step with a foam polishing step.

Also, after using a rotary buffer to buff the paint, to insure a swirl free finish you need to change the action of your tool, that is switch from a direct-drive rotating tool to an oscillating tool like a PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher.

I can dig up a couple of recent threads where all of this has been discussed and explained in detail.

A 100% swirl free finish can be achieved using only a rotary buffer but it's not always about how good the person doing the buffing is sometimes it's about the paint and how easy or difficult it is to polish swirl-free. By changing the action of the tool to a polisher with a free rotating spindle assembly, a soft foam polishing pad and a light cleaner/polish you can insure a swirl-free finish. Key word being insure.

Post Thanks / Like

well i had success today guys. i used 1500 then 2000 and then wool then foam head. i finished compounding half the hood and the driver fender, ran out of daylight so i'll start again earlier tomorrow.

i successfully removed the deep sanding groves and tracers from the 1200 grit. i also got a few more lil goodies from gladwin paint like a foam wet sanding pad (medium) and tape and the wool head and i picked up 3m wax to get me by till i can pick up better stuff from this online store (tight on money right now)

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a couple of phone numbers. Call Anthony and see when he & Ron can take a look. Those guys turn out phenomenal work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    I sent you a couple of phone numbers. Call Anthony and see when he & Ron can take a look. Those guys turn out phenomenal work.
    i'll drive over on thursday. i want to complete fixing my 1200 scratches and at least start on the next panel and then pollish the front of my car. leaving the rear quarter panels and spoiler for next week. (unless i can actually finish them in the next few days)

Post Thanks / Like

another day of success. i buffed the rest of the hood, front bumper and passanger front fender. took me about 4 hours to do the whole area. i then took it to a car wash and power washed it with plane water to get all the splatters off with out much effort.

i came home and used meguiers detail spray and microfiber and cleaned the front some more, then i used 3m 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark, utilizes cutting-edge technology to polish away surface-marring problems. on the front of the car to eliminate swirls. and mostly cuz i was curious to see how it worked with the 3m polish pad. looks GREAT!!!

i still have very very slight swirl marks from this compound but i will be using 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish use with a buffer or polisher to revitalize old, dull, abused or neglected paint finishes—in no time! to finish

i know there is better stuff out there but right now i got what was local and what i could afford. if i am unhappy with the results i will try something else down the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12