autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help!!! Can i polish only one part of my hood?

So i have mirco scratches on one part of my hood. I was wondering if i can only polish that section and be done with it or it will make it look different from the rest of the panels? I dont really much have time to do the entire car. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help!!! Can i polish only one part of my hood?

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Yes you can do some spot correction with a compound and cutting pad in the affected areas. After that you will want to follow up with a polish on a polishing pad and refine the area that was compounded to remove the defects as well as finish up by completing the whole hood to ensure you have a uniform result.

If you only work on the affected area, you will clearly see where you repaired the area. More so if the paint is a darker color.

What vehicle/color and tools/products do you have on hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it will look different, how much different is dependent on the condition of the rest of the panels. Since it's the hood, there are no panels adjacent at the same angle to contrast it, so the difference you can actually see may be minor
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

--------------------------
    ...to AGO!
    --------------------------

•Sure you can polish only
    one part of the hood.
    -Afterwards: you can determine
    if that will be satisfactory, or not.

•Regardless:
    -Once you are done with all of the
    polishing you are going to do...
    -apply an LSP.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

If you are as anal as most of us here are,you will see a difference and you will make the time to do the whole thing or it will drive you crazy every time you look at it. Or you will do it as soon as time permits.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Yes you can do some spot correction with a compound and cutting pad in the affected areas. After that you will want to follow up with a polish on a polishing pad and refine the area that was compounded to remove the defects as well as finish up by completing the whole hood to ensure you have a uniform result.

If you only work on the affected area, you will clearly see where you repaired the area. More so if the paint is a darker color.

What vehicle/color and tools/products do you have on hand?
    Thank for the help well i have a 2016 mx5 with ceramic white color. For tools i have the griot garage DA 6", with meguiars finishing disc, meg cutting disc and foam pad. the guy at the detailing store told me not to was money on a flex or rupes because my car so new. I have meguiars corection compound and their polish. for paint selanti am using menzema power lock. i gues i will have to do the whole car or it will bug me. Should i just use the polish only or start with correction compound instead of skipping it. Lot of people told me try to start off using the less aggressive stuff unless you are not getting the result you want.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well the car is pretty new the rest of the car is like dealership new. i will try to do the hood only then if i am not happy i will do the rest of the car. thank you for the help

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    If you are as anal as most of us here are,you will see a difference and you will make the time to do the whole thing or it will drive you crazy every time you look at it. Or you will do it as soon as time permits.
    Yeah I am guessing i will have to do the rest of the car i am pretty anal my friend dont even notice it but i do thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kamasu View Post
    Should i just use the polish only or start with correction compound instead of skipping it. Lot of people told me try to start off using the less aggressive stuff unless you are not getting the result you want.
    They're correct. I'd not only start with the polish, I'd also use a less aggressive foam pad. You mentioned a foam pad, but I'm not sure which. The MF pads are great, but I wouldn't use them unless you need the extra aggressiveness they offer over foam. Mazda has some ultra thin paint, so I'd make sure I left as much as I could, and still got the scratches out.
    Last edited by Hantra; 08-03-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

What you are doing is in essence a test spot. The pupose of a test spot is to establish a method which will remove defects to your satisfaction ( that means time spent for desired results). Definately want to go least aggressive method first (testing), this means a polish with medium cut pad (pad supplier will have a chart showing which colour too use). You can increase correction speed with more agressive pads or polishes/compounds. Assuming the affected area is small, it is golden opportunity to learn some important knowledge. Good luck.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast