autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie mistake, need help

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    While I'm hesitant to say you went through the clear, that comment about using a Magic Eraser on paint couldn't be farther from the truth.. I once tried using a Magic Eraser as a last resort in order to remove some extremely stubborn tree sap and ended up with a small dull spot on the paint. [went through the clearcoat] It's a good thing I only did a small test spot.. It's also a good thing it wasn't a showcar or anything crazy like that. I'll never use a Magic Eraser on paint again.
    Yeah, that is where I get confused. I'm a novice, no doubt. At the same time, I've watched a ton of videos and read articles about scratch repair before attempting. A pretty reputable auto detailing guy on youtube uses the magic eraser all the time, especially on transfer. It always looks dull afterwards, just like many other videos I've seen but that never scares them. They say its normal for it to be dull and turn on their polisher and use a couple steps, and voila, its back to a beautiful shine. Seeing those black spots appear freaked me out. I wasn't prepared for that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No offense taken. This was my first time! I guess I just thought I was better prepared because of all the research I did beforehand. Ever see that video of a guy writing scratch into his car and then promptly gets rid of it?? These videos gave me lots of confidence. And yes, I looked at more reputable videos as well. The spot is only about the size of a quarter and its a 4Runner so I won't be repainting the fender. I just need to cover up my mistake as much as possible. I'm looking to buy a Griots Orbital polisher or a PC. If you look closely at the picture, you will see a dull spot surrounding the black spot. I think that can be fixed with a less abrasive polish and pad. The thing is about getting a DA is that this spot would be hard to get at with a DA. Its a fender that sits out from car a bit. I could tape off lines to make sure I don't get burn I suppose. Thanks for your comments.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for so many messages, but how would I know for sure if I went through clear coat? I think in this case, its pretty obvious but are there any tricks? Also, do you think I can apply a spray clear on it successfully? Can I get it to a 8/10? Thanks again, you guys rule!

Post Thanks / Like

You could try doing a spray can clear touchup on it...it likely would look the same after, I don't know. 1K clear touchup will yellow over time though.

I understand your frustration with watching a lot of successful videos, and then having it go down the dumper IRL, but it's just one of those things that is hard to convey--how long to rub, how much pressure...and more importantly, how thin the clear actually is.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

okay, so should my steps be: spray a primer, paint, spray clear, and then eventually polish it lightly? Setec, thanks. I'm from NJ as well but live in Denver area now. My wife trusted me to fix scratches and am feeling a little pressure to recoup her confidence!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weaverpsu View Post
    okay, so should my steps be: spray a primer, paint, spray clear, and then eventually polish it lightly? Setec, thanks. I'm from NJ as well but live in Denver area now. My wife trusted me to fix scratches and am feeling a little pressure to recoup her confidence!!
    Just take it to a professional. I won't risk again doing a DIY solution this time. If you want to get experience on that, buy a hood in a scrap yard.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    Just take it to a professional. I won't risk again doing a DIY solution this time. If you want to get experience on that, buy a hood in a scrap yard.
    ahhh, Booooo. That's no fun lol. How much would they charge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weaverpsu View Post
    A pretty reputable auto detailing guy on youtube uses the magic eraser all the time, especially on transfer. It always looks dull afterwards, just like many other videos I've seen but that never scares them.
    You talking about this guy? [I'm the 1 on the left]
    Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465926054-730122-jpg

Darren's vids are full of great tips and advice. [IMO they're the best source of quality information presented by someone without a script or a camera crew] I've learned alot from watching Darrens vids and always look forward to the videos he uploads to youtube.. But you have to keep in mind that he's a seasoned veteran when it comes to auto detailing, a guy like him can make something like de badging emblems on a luxury car look easy because he's a master of the craft.

If you've seen him use a Magic Eraser it's usually for oddball tasks like removing scuffs from interior panels, cleaning tar off the lip of a wheel, removing transfer from a plastic mirror, etc.. But when he's going straight to the paint with it, you best believe his experience comes in handy.

I've never used Chemical Guys V32, but if it's supposed to be a cutting compound it sure doesn't sound too great.. Reason I say that is because I've removed a bunch transfer on numerous vehicles by hand using just Ultimate Compound and a microfiber applicator. The stuff has never failed me.

Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465929695-752647-jpg

Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465929735-557308-jpg

I still think there's a chance you haven't struck through the clearcoat. We're all novices at 1 point, and I think any novice deserves a free pass. Good luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so, if I didn't strike through clearcoat, how would I know and what would my course of action be? I bought the chemical guys sampler kit because lots of my scratches are small/thin and won't need the V32 and would use a V34 or 36. Plus the 38 is a finishing polish. I almost bought Meguiars 205 and 105 instead. I have the day off, so that is why I'd like to get as much info as I can today. And I'd love to fix it myself because I'm a frugal son of a gun! And yes, thats the guy! Darren's videos are long but very informative. He uses eraser to rid of transfer. BTW, my first attempt was on our Jetta. Wife hit garage and everything worked out great. I'd say its a 8/10 and won't have any issues with returning lease now. Then I moved on to our new 4Runner Limited, which I love and that is what happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the V38 with a foam applicator or a foam finishing or polishing pad. Smooth strokes, not too much pressure, but not too little either.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast