autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What am i missing?

I am also a huge FG400 fan for wide application scenarios. Audi paint would most certainly get it after my test spots tell me to get stronger. Another thing is to very carefully inspect the paint after each test spot and see what you're left with.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are trying to finish this vehicle with the products you already have... I wish you the best of luck.

If the initial compounding step is removing the level of defects you are after than you really just need to focus on your finishing system. Out of your pad and product selection you'll need to find the next step that removes the compounding haze and brings back the gloss. Forget about the "4 step" instructions. You need to perform some test spots and see what the paint likes.

If none of the products work to restore any gloss than I suggest selecting a higher quality abrasive such as M205 (non-diminishing abrasive) or CarPro Reflect (diminishing abrasive) for final polishing. I've used both on several A7s and both have worked equally well in my experience.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

A few weeks ago I started a poll and asked

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

1: Technique.
    2: Tool.
    3: Pad.
    4: Paint.
    5: Abrasive technology.

Which one and why?

The number one reply was technique.

Here's the link.

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

My answer was and always has been,

Abrasive technology is the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

And the replies by most in this thread would tend to prove me right.

Some say technique and they're entitled to their opinion but from my experience, it's the abrasives that are touching the paint and the first most important aspect of any paint polishing project.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow! so much help here i appreciate all of everyones input here, looks like I'm going to have to do some test spots to see if i can bring the shine back even more, like i said the "haze" can only be seen in certain angles of sunlight and under very high luminance artificial light smh in normal daylight if you are not looking close it looks amazing but I'm a perfectionist... and anal with my own car haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackalak View Post
    As you can see within my picture I am getting this hazing effect after a 4 step polish using chem guys v series (all 4) and 4 pads with rupes 15 lhr not sure what stage needs more polishing to get rid of the haze? any help would be greatly appreciated!
    did you use 4 pads for each step, totaling 16 pads?

Or did you use 1 pad for each step, totaling 4 pads?
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to chime in...

A few weeks ago I started a poll and asked

The number one reply was technique.

Here's the link.

My answer was and always has been,

Abrasive technology is the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint.

And the replies by most in this thread would tend to prove me right.

Some say technique and they're entitled to their opinion but from my experience, it's the abrasives that are touching the paint and the first most important aspect of any paint polishing project.

I see what you are saying, but without good technique it doesn't matter what kind of abrasives you are using, the results will be off bc of the poor technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    You can't go wrong with Menz FG400. The hex logic pads from CG are crap too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackalak View Post
    I def agree on that one, one pad fell apart after one whole car I pretty much followed their instructions 1 pass slow to spread then 3 passes at max speed mid pressure till product became clear
    I agree. the CG polishes aren't so great.My experience with Rupes is that it works best with flat pads too
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Flat top and a microfiber will do the job quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I have held off enough. My opinion was Technique also in Mike`s poll.

I am going to quote the Master that I have nothing but extreme respect and appreciation for all the knowledge he shares with all that want to learn and be proud of a task well done.

Page 8 in Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine regarding hard/soft paint. You need experience, Nothing beats first hand experience, Your personal skill level has huge influence with success or failure.

There is so much to learn and Mike you are the man if I am off key please advise. Now just a couple more quotes.

Technique is more important than the products and pads you`re using, You can have the best products and best tools available but if your technique isn`t exactly right, you won`t get the results that you`re after.

I have read Mike`s book so many times pages are coming loose from the binding.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, without good tools and products, technique doesn't matter and vise versa. This might be a case of residue control or by the pic it may even be your machine not be turned up enough to spin properly. Watch a few more videos about buffing and polishing, you'll get it, takes practice
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast