autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratch Repair - Opinions?

Looking for opinions on my scratch repair technique I just used. Came out pretty good, I kind of want to go back with some more touch up and sanding, but I think I should probably just leave it.

Walked out to my car after work the other day and there was a nice little scratch on the driver's side rear quarter panel. I just got this are repainted from a door ding, so it was very annoying.

It was through the clear coat and some of the paint, so really it needs to be repainted to look perfect, but I can't spend the money on that right now, so I decided to see what I could do with some touch up paint.

I first tried just some compound by hand and that didn't do much at all.

Before I used touch up, to smooth it out, I did some wet sanding. I started out with 1500 then went to 3000 then 5000. I don't think the 1500 was necessary and probably wouldn't use it again (I thought it was actually 2000). This didn't do much to the appearance, but got some of the edge off of it.

Next I started with the touch up paint. Some of the areas were about as thin as the point of a toothpick, so it was pretty difficult to get the paint on well. what I ended up doing was leaving a little extra on and let it dry over night.

The next day I came back with the 1500, but folded on the edge of a credit card and very carefully tried to sand just the built up touch up paint. I then did the same with the 3000 then 5000. After this I went over the whole area with the 3000 then 5000.

To finish it up I used my porter cable with menzerna Fast Gloss with a yellow LC pad and then Super finish with an Uber green pad.

The end result came out pretty decent I think. I could maybe go back and get it a little better, but I feel like I may end up making it worse instead of better.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch Repair - Opinions?

Good job, you did enough sanding for one day, just leave it alone. Only you will know that it's there.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO leave it alone. I also think you did an incredible job too! Awesome work!! You can barely tell it's a scratch. I would say you are done and just enjoy your ride!!

Additionally, there is only so much clear coat with all cars.

Again, excellent work!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO leave it alone. I also think you did an incredible job too! Awesome work!! You can barely tell it's a scratch. I would say you are done and just enjoy your ride!!

Additionally, there is only so much clear coat with all cars.

Again, excellent work!!
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking, from 3 feet away I have to look pretty hard to see it, so I guess no one else will see it.

Yea I'm not all that experienced with wet sanding, so I was tried to keep it light and pretty much just guessed I wouldn't go through the clear coat since I couldn't measure the paint depth.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, leave it. looks fine, nice job. sanding through would be a lot worse! as others said, only you will know it's there.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it came out really good. Now you just have to leave it alone which seems to be the hard part. If this car is a daily driver you are going to have to learn to deal with some scratches and dings. If you start chasing down every defect you will eventually wish you didn't.