autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting mirror shine on polished aluminum

I use a product called Simichrome and a soft cotton buffing wheel on a die grinder on the final steps, I don't know if AGO sells either. It can be hard to find.

To give you an idea this is mainly aluminum - the beast is the intake manifold because it's sand cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
    Brody, yes! that is the shine I am going for, and I know it can be achieved. I have a set of Autocouture magnifiques on my ls400 I am trying to get the lip to look like that. They are $1k a piece new, so I would think the aluminum quality is decent. They are forged. (goot to know about billet vs forged, my billet wheels on the foxbody shine up super quick and easy!) I was using smaller buffing wheels on a plug in drill before. I have never used wheels on a grinder. I shall look into this.

are those buffing wheels something I can pick up at home depot or HF? I need these done before Friday so dont have time for shipping at the moment.

I will get some pictures tonight. Right now they are super dirty as I have yet to wash them in prep for polishing them.
    The drill might be your issue. I'm not sure what diameter wheels you are using or what rpm the drill turns, but you want to be around 5000 sfm (surface feet per minute) when polishing aluminum. Calculate sfm by multiplying the circumference of the wheel (in feet) by the rpm it's spinning. For example a 4" wheel has roughly the same sfm as the rpm it is turning. (4" X 3.14159) / 12 = 1.047' So at 5000 rpm sfm = 5000 X 1.047 = 5235 sfm. I think most high speed drills max out around 2000-2500 rpm. Slow speeds will give less than impressive results IME.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

good to know! i will look for a 4" grinder buffer wheel

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am having some issues finding something that attach to a standard handheld grinder. They all seem to be for bench grinders?

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a larger wheel than 4". A 4" wheel probably won't even stick past the drive head of the grinder. I would go at least 6" preferably 8" to give you more room between the tool and the edge of the wheel. I'm not sure where you could find them locally. Maybe try a truck stop? I know our local TA is a zephyr dealer and has a decent selection of wheels and compounds.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you'll find anything good at HD or HFT. The quality of the buffing wheels and rouge makes a big difference. We use these guys Metal Polishing Supplies, Buffing Supplies & Metal Finishing Supply for rouge and buffing wheels. Hopefully AG doesn't have an issue with that link, it's not like I'm sending you to a competing site or anything. Checked the model on the buffer today as well, it's a milwaukee 6066-6.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to have the lips shiny and polished like chrome, it takes a few steps. Having multiple sets of bbs wheels and tsw etc, I have some knowledge to polishing the lips. First you want to establish if your wheels are in a good state to even polish. No clear coat, and not rashed to hell. Let's assume your wheel is clean and you've done your own polishing to make it chrome like. You'll want to get a mother's PowerBall, or megs foam polishing cone. They attach to a drill. I prefer using megs aluminum polish, but eagle polish works good too. You want to have a clean wheel and lots of time. It's pretty straight forward. Use the Polish and PowerBall the f*** out of those lips. You can't really mess it up. Just takes time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had no luck with the power cone. I get better results with just my hand. Brody thanks for the link, I will look into it.

Here are the wheels.

after washing and claybar. lots of scratches and marrs.

MMAP and terry cloth.
    Ibviously wont take out those scratches. They are not deep, cant catch my finger nail on em.
    bad pic to show the detail.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

an add on question: after I finally achieve a mint scratch free and polished surface, how can I keep it super clean and bright after driving in the rain? EAfter driving through the rain, rinsing off the wheels and giving them a quick wipe with a micro, they are noticably more dull. i then have to re polish them. every. single. time.

Chrome...i need to chrome the lips.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes!! I certainly hope that's before polishing and not after.

Do you use any type of sealant on them after you polish? That should help with staining/dulling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast