autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If my Menzerna and makita had a face Id punch it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
    well like i said Im used to a DA polisher. I put the same amount or more on the rotary pad. I havnt been priming the pad with anything other than a mist of XMT pad conditioner. I just dont get those large even lays of polish on the paint as i do with a DA. the pad seemingly spins dry and leaves some traces of polish behind. Next thing I know the big foam pad is sticky and hopping all over the place. I dont take the rotary above 2.5-3 and sometimes it leaves some dried up polish on the paint that the pad wont pick back up. I have to use a MF cloth.

I can glide Menzerna across a LOT of paint with the DA. I get it on the rotary and Im using half the bottle just to see product behind the pad. And then theres the dusting.

When I use a smaller pad and tackle a smaller area its fine.

There are too many dang videos on how to use a DA polisher and there are next to none on the rotary.
    Sounds like to me that your not priming the pad to the edge.One of the reason the pad walks on you and you can't control it is the pad being to dry .What size backing plate are you using also.I would also reduce the speed 3 is pretty high for a rotary i rarely go above 1500 rpm .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    What is your process with the Menzerna? I have never seen it dry that quickly and it has always been an easy product line to use both applying and removing. Are you polishing in the hot sun or under shade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Sounds like to me that your not priming the pad to the edge.One of the reason the pad walks on you and you can't control it is the pad being to dry .What size backing plate are you using also.I would also reduce the speed 3 is pretty high for a rotary i rarely go above 1500 rpm .
    great tip Harley guy. The pads I have are 7.5. They are form fitting to one size backingplate which I think is like 6.5.

Can anyone post pics of a process for priming a rotary pad? It makes sense that this is the reason I'm having issues. On smaller pads I control the machine just fine. Although I have been creating some awesome holograms. I finish with the pcxp to rid those. But again there are people that finish with no holograms so I'm sure my technique is at fault.

I'd like to be good with this tool. I feel it could be a Great asset.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

So the Menz 85rd dusts a lot ?

What do you do afterwards ? Blow it off ? Wash it again ?

I'm getting the feeling that for Black Paint that Meg's 105/205 is not enough and that Menz 85rd puts the final touch on Black... but if it dusts like crazy... how do you deal with it ?
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 GMC Denali View Post

I'm getting the feeling that for Black Paint that Meg's 105/205 is not enough and that Menz 85rd puts the final touch on Black... but if it dusts like crazy... how do you deal with it ?
    It dust a little bit, any polish is going to dust to a little. The reason a lot of people get a lot of dust is either they are dry buffing, or the pad is caked up and all the dried polish is coming out while polishing.

The dust is very easy to wipe off, and yes 85rd after the Megs twins will amp your finish up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 GMC Denali View Post

No No....if fact the 85rd and the 106 or sip...whichever one is the least cut, works great. Its the medium cut and the powergloss that dusts. But all of them except the 85rd is a beech to get off opposed to the dozen other polishes ive tried. Im just not seeing the hype. Even if my technique is flawed (and im sure it is) doing the exact same thing with other polishes and now with menzerna (meaning all things equal) menz is a pain in my butt to work with. great polishing ability but not very user friendly to ME. Again im sure there are better rotary users that will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    It dust a little bit, any polish is going to dust to a little. The reason a lot of people get a lot of dust is either they are dry buffing, or the pad is caked up and all the dried polish is coming out while polishing.

The dust is very easy to wipe off, and yes 85rd after the Megs twins will amp your finish up.
    that makes sense. But why is the pad caking up so fast?
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
    No No....if fact the 85rd and the 106 or sip...whichever one is the least cut, works great. Its the medium cut and the powergloss that dusts. But all of them except the 85rd is a beech to get off opposed to the dozen other polishes ive tried. Im just not seeing the hype. Even if my technique is flawed (and im sure it is) doing the exact same thing with other polishes and now with menzerna (meaning all things equal) menz is a pain in my butt to work with. great polishing ability but not very user friendly to ME. Again im sure there are better rotary users that will disagree.

that makes sense. But why is the pad caking up so fast?
    Because you are using way too much polish. You only need a few pea sized dots on the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok then... I've added a bottle of Menz 85rd to my wish-list.

I always thought that Meg's 205 would be the last thing I used before WG 3.0 and Souveran Paste Wax... but it will be good to have something in case M-105/205 doesn't pan out.

I was just reading up on the comments about the Menzerna 85rd... would it be good for the Scratch-resistant Self-healing Paint thats on my Wife's Infiniti EX35 as well?
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Because you are using way too much polish. You only need a few pea sized dots on the pad.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

How large of a section are you working at a time?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Ok rocket this is what confuses me! First I was told Im not using enough polish and thats why it hops around, then Im being told that Im using too much. I flip the pad over and and place dots in a star pattern. 5 dots in all around the edge of the pad. Its not enough. I cant even get a 2 foot section of coverage. Its like im dry buffing right off the bat. I need someone to point me to a video or post a video of themselves with a makita because Im about to put it away and only use it to remove wet sanding marks and polish the rest out with the XP no matter HOW long it takes. its almost more trouble than its worth.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast