autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car, needs love, what would you do?

I'm from St. Louis too. I have a ton of extra product. If you find yourself needing something or even a hand just shoot me a PM. I have a ton of machines(G21, Nano, MKII Rupes, etc.) that might help speed your process up, plus plenty of AIO, Compounds, Polishes, Coatings... whatever you'd want. Always glad to help a fellow Geek!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the consensus is #2. I've used 360 twice and it has held up pretty well to our spring and summer with weekly washes using Megs ultimate wash and wax and spray wax. I also have been happy with griots paint sealant, which I have enough for at least two more applications. I've thought about switching to HD Speed/Poxy but I want to use what I have first. I don't know if the 360 and griots would play well together though.

I'm pretty lucky, my wife knows the cars are my thing, and in the 8 years we have been together she's never once had a mechanical issue while out on the road and she knows that taking care of them means we keep them longer and go without a payment. We both work irregular hours so it's not out of the question to have several days off in a row and the time to do this stuff. She also gets annoyed with me and playing with the cars gets me out of the house for a few hours

Next question: leather is new to me. I got some Pinnicle leather conditioner and black label leather sealant from a mystery box this summer (that I never thought I would use!) Will these play well together? Should I use the conditioner prior to sealant? I also have some McKees interior cleaner. Would this be better to clean with prior to sealing?

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I appreciate it! Heisenberg, I may take you up on that offer at some point. Doing this stuff is therapeutic to be but the shear amount of product, and research time can be absurd at times.

I also need to clean the garage out, and get it organized so this beast fits inside!

Post Thanks / Like

I know this may not sit well, but have you given any thought to having a professional come in and polish the car out for you? They would probably be faster, and you could be doing something else in the mean time. After they are done, all that would be left to do is to coat with the LSP of your choice. It would get the contaminants off, and give you a great base to start working from in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

It had, but I like watching iron-x do it's thing while I'm standing upwind.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 would be a great coating to keep the new paint protected throughout the winter. Works great as a windshield protection too keeping you from having to use your wipers so much.
    Might even try just a light 6 month coating to keep it maintained easier till spring. Maybe Carpro Hydro2 Sealant. Haven't tried it, but I've seen really good reviews about it.
    Seth Berry - Pursuit Mobile Detailing
    http://www.pursuitdetailing.com
    info@pursuitdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just did the exact same vehicle a few weeks back. AIO will get you pretty far but to fully correct it you'll either spend a lot of time with some orange pads and 360 or you really should just compound and polish it and be done.

Either will work, it really all depends on what you're looking to put into it time wise. My vote is Compound and Polish now. It may, depending on how you care for it over winter, get a few more swirls, but overall it should be good for just a clean up and polish in the spring. If you just go AIO now you'll eventually have to compound and polish it anyway to get it perfect so why not just do it now?

Just my two cents.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the second child on the way. Since you have had success already using McKees 360 I would stick with it for now. Adding the various thin pro pads will give you the option of starting with the least aggressive approach in the future. Protect the vehicle for now and make a plan during the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone. I'll take the 360 to it when I have a day that works and I can pry it away from her. The weather is supposed to be nice next weekend so I might do it while in a food coma.

When I bought the PC I also got a dozen pads split between white and orange, two black and two red so I think I have my bases pretty well covered. The white didn't have the results I was looking for the first time around on my truck so most of them are still in the package, waiting. They'll probably get used this spring on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Done today. Wash with Megs Gold Class, decon with iron-x "lemon" and McKee's 37 iron remover (wanted to do a side-by-side comparison), clay, wipedown with carpro eraser, wheels coated, plastic trim coated and 360. Also had time to hang most of our Christmas lights outside. Will post some pics shortly.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm satisfied for now, but I'll be doing a 3 step on it this spring when I have move daylight to work with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12