autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clay issue

Post Thanks / Like

Clay issue

Hey guys,

I have not used clay often. Early on when I started detailing I went with Nanoskin Sponges and never looked back. This year I purchased some Meguiar's fine clay for a client who had what we thought was paint from a construction site. Anyway, used it then and put it aside.

Now this week I decided to use it again and ran into a very strange problem. When I tried to clay the panel with it, it stuck to the paint and left a lot if clay residue that was very hard to remove. I thought I did not lubricate enough so I really put a ton of clay lube both on the clay bar and on the panel. Same thing happened again. I was able to clay for about 2 or 3 seconds then the clay would stick to the panel. I was using just enough pressure to keep the clay in contact with the panel, and I was using the clay lube that came with the clay. I tried switching to my ONR quick detailer but it did the same thing.

I am really confused by this, anyone know what is causing that and how to avoid it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay issue

I was wondering about how it was stored, but you would think that it would be a relatively stable product.

Was it hot out?

It's been hot a heck around here and the warmer it is the softer the clay will get. The southern guys would know better if this is the case.

Did you do any chemical decontamination steps before claying?

I have had instances where I've used Tarminator or a citrus solvent cleaner prior to claying and not removed it well enough. This caused my clay alternative to smear on the paint.

Was the surface super contaminated?

What was your first option you used for a clay lube?

I might not have the right answers, just some questions.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay as well as the C2000 and never had any issues. How old is the clay? Could it have been dried out? What type of container and room temp was it kept in?
    It's more than a car...Keep it clean

Post Thanks / Like

Heat can be an issue, were you in direct or indirect sunlight? What was the surface temp of the panel?
    For about $10.00 you can get cheap laser thermometers...

After using clay on a vehicle that went through a construction site, (i'm guessing there was some over spray of road tar/debris) I would have chucked that clay and started a new.

But your issue sounds heat related... maybe :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I was wondering about how it was stored, but you would think that it would be a relatively stable product.

Was it hot out?

It's been hot a heck around here and the warmer it is the softer the clay will get. The southern guys would know better if this is the case.

Did you do any chemical decontamination steps before claying?

I have had instances where I've used Tarminator or a citrus solvent cleaner prior to claying and not removed it well enough. This caused my clay alternative to smear on the paint.

Was the surface super contaminated?

What was your first option you used for a clay lube?

I might not have the right answers, just some questions.
    The claybar comes with a small plastic box to store it. It was in there about a month since I used it the first time.

Temperature were reasonable, nothing extreme.

No other decontamination steps prior to claying, just washed the car.

Funny you should mention terminator and clay alternative. Nothing like this in this case but I did destroy a nanoskin sponge earlier this year this exact way. I used a tar remover I sometimes buy locally. It is pine oil based I am pretty sure because of the smell and feel of it. Anyway, I figured tar would be much easier to remove with the nano skin sponge instead of a microfiber towel. So I sprayed all the tar (there was a ton of it on that car) and then started to remove it with the sponge. It worked for about 10 seconds then the rubber on the sponge basically disintegrated LOL Lesson learned ROFL!

As I said in original post, I used the clay lube that came with the clay bar. Then tried Optimum ONR at quick detailer concentration, the result was the same with both.

Contamination on the surface was typical for vehicles I do. Most people who call me have never had their car detailed, so the is usually medium contamination or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW435 View Post
    I use the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay as well as the C2000 and never had any issues. How old is the clay? Could it have been dried out? What type of container and room temp was it kept in?
    Opened the bar packet about a month ago and only used it once on half a trunk (long story). So the bar was basically new.

It was stored in the black plastic box that comes in the kit. I leave it in my van. Temperature can get high in there since it's summer and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Heat can be an issue, were you in direct or indirect sunlight? What was the surface temp of the panel?
    For about $10.00 you can get cheap laser thermometers...

After using clay on a vehicle that went through a construction site, (i'm guessing there was some over spray of road tar/debris) I would have chucked that clay and started a new.

But your issue sounds heat related... maybe :-/
    Ya the bar was pretty much new. The issue with the construction site was overspray from Insulating material and I wasn't able to take it off the car. Would have needed to use a razor blade to do it, the clay did not manage to do anything on that car.

Ok so if it is heat related, I will try to use it again in a cool situation and see if the problem persists.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars has some great products but I had a similar experience with their clay bar and just tossed it. They have a good customer service department so you might want to give them a call and see if they have any ideas and/or will replace it and try it again.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

The fine clay is awesome. I use it manly for new car preps. You would need a way more aggressive clay for removing insulation overspray though. Their red clay would work better for that type of job.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter