autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to use Essence?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I looks to me like Essence is more like a Glaze/Coating combo than an actual AIO polish in the way it should be used. So basically you want to spread it around really well so it can fill all the pores of the paint, then remove it before it has a chance to dry.
    This is sort of an accurate description of the product. It is hard to tell how much is polishing power and how much is filling.

What I will say with my limited experience with the product, is that if you over buff it, it will turn to glue. Less is more. Keep your speed reasonable, lower than you would for a compound obviously (setting 3-4 on Rupes machine).

The other thing is pay attention to the instructions. It says wipe off after 2-3 minutes. I haven't tried to leave it for more than 5 minutes and it has always been easy for me to remove. I feel like if you remove it wet, it won't have time to bond properly. Makes sense to me with this type of product.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had issues with every single carpro product I've tried. I've yet to get the results I want on the first second or sometimes third try. Yes I get that once you dial it in, the worlds a better place. I have many products that a caveman could use and get near perfect results every time.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I've had issues with every single carpro product I've tried. I've yet to get the results I want on the first second or sometimes third try. Yes I get that once you dial it in, the worlds a better place. I have many products that a caveman could use and get near perfect results every time.
    I love hydro2 lite and reset, but don't like any of their polishes. Your last sentence is right on par.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that you should mention it, because I had some of the same issues with a silver Infiniti that I was applying Essence to in preparation for a coating. I had streaking and a hard time getting the gloss that I could see in places to come out uniformly throughout the finish. I ended up applying and removing it by hand, as if it were a wax, and the results were much better. I don't know if the problem was with the pads, my technique, or the paint itself, but I had to set the polisher aside. The gloss is awesome, and I'll continue to work with it because I'm not ready to give up on it. I'll try different combinations of buffer settings, pads, and technique until I get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post
    It's funny that you should mention it, because I had some of the same issues with a silver Infiniti that I was applying Essence to in preparation for a coating. I had streaking and a hard time getting the gloss that I could see in places to come out uniformly throughout the finish. I ended up applying and removing it by hand, as if it were a wax, and the results were much better. I don't know if the problem was with the pads, my technique, or the paint itself, but I had to set the polisher aside. The gloss is awesome, and I'll continue to work with it because I'm not ready to give up on it. I'll try different combinations of buffer settings, pads, and technique until I get it right.
    It is not recommended to apply Essence by hand if you're using it as a primer unless you also do a solvent wipe down.

Essence relies on heat generated by machine polishing to help reduce the oils left on the surface. If used by hand, this is not happening. CarPro recommends doing an Eraser wipe down after Essence whenever possible, but especially after applying by hand (per conversation between Avi and myself when Essence was first released).

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't gotten good results with it either
    Just ok results..
    Did it on a blue Kia Sorrento as a primer for glosscoat
    Looks wonderful
    And did it on a white 2000ish Tacoma
    Didn't hide swirls
    . I feel it could of cut the oxidation a allot better the. It did
    But these were the first 2 cars I did with my Rupes mini instead of my boss G21..
    Who knows..
    I may just stick with 3d adapt and speed
    Atleast when I used McKee jeweling wax, the shine was great

Post Thanks / Like

We have used Reflect and Essence a lot... the process is NOT the same as many other products, but it is the key to success.

I highly recommend using both Reflect and Essence with a Rupes Yellow Pad or White Pad (yellow is our preferred option 99% of the time!).

These pads are firmer and help to really break down the products quickly. Do NOT prime the pads, simply add 3-4 very small dots of product to a clean pad and spread it over your working area. Work the product at speed 4-5 on a large throw polisher for 2 passes at moderate pressure, and if needed make a 3rd pass at speed 3-4 with no pressure. The working cycle is short, the amount of product used is very little. This will yield great polishing results in the majority of situations. Now as we all know, there is no perfect product that works in every scenario, so keep that in mind.

<-- after compounding | after essence on rupes yellow pad -->

<-- after compounding | after essence on rupes yellow pad -->

Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used essence to finish most of my cars in past 5 months...I use Meq MF pads...and worked it till it's gone almost...less is more...and sometimes more is less...but results are awesome...only foam pad I was able to use was carpro gloss pad...I have also done cars only with essence and MF pads...and applied coatings on top of it...
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Did an other car this week with essence. The sun was blazing down all day and no shade anywhere. So I decided to use it by hand, knowing it cures super fast when done by polisher. 30 seconds application cycle and the product was increadibly hard to remove. I do like the end result but the process is a pain in neck. I am not sure I will buy this product again when I am done with this bottle. I am mobile and I work alone so I can't take 30-60 minutes to setup a canopy everytime I detail a car and then take an other 30-60 mins to remove it afterward. I usually work around the sun, doing the side of the car that is not exposed, working on smaller sections, cleaning pads often with a pad cleaner (just water, no detergent). But essence is very temperamental. I guess if I was in a garage environment with no sun and no wind it might be easier but so far I am less than happy with the process. It's a shame cause the paint looks nice with it applied, especially with Reload on top of it. When I am done with this bottle I think I will go back to M205 and will top with Reload, I really love Reload!

Post Thanks / Like

Having used many, many polishes throughout the years... I can honestly say Essence is consistently one of the easiest I have used in terms of wiping away after machine polishing.

My only guess is that if you're having that much trouble with it every time, then you're not doing something right. I'd imagine it is the fact that you're working on a hot surface... but I'm not sure as that is not something I have ever experimented with.

I'd certainly agree with your decision of not using it if it is just making things harder for you... stick with what you know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast