autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Decibel Rating of Various Polishers

As I was getting interested in a new polisher I had kept researching decibel readings as I often try to work in my garage at night and prefer to avoid annoying neighbors. Polishing at night is beyond a rare occurrence but I was still intrigued. So when I got the Flex I knew I wanted to make this information known. I can't speak for the accuracy of this test but for reference OSHA recommends a maximum of 85 decibels constant for an 8 hour day. This adjusts for less time as decibels increase. Above that rating long term hearing may be affected. A 10 decibel increase is registered by humans as roughly twice as loud depending. So small changes and differences in readings can show noticeable change. I can't verify the accuracy of an iPhone's microphone in testing decibels or even how accurate of a reading the decibel app is, but I also have no issue trusting it based on no data saying it's incorrect and at the least it will show differences between polishers.

This test was done using an iPhone 6 3 ft away from a polisher facing upward with no pad on it.

Each polisher was turned on and tested 3 times via a locally sourced app. Each speed was individually tested with the polisher in an off position. Here is a photo of the app.

And the polishers up to the test.

The Porter Cable was also given a 6" backing plate but no difference was noted. And the final results!

Now I'm no expert, but hey I do have a piece of paper that says I got a college degree, not that it means much. So what do I draw from this? Ear protection probably wouldn't hurt honestly, and a decibel rating means little in regard to ergonomics and smooth operating but it is a factor. I hope this is a bit of interest to you all and if anyone has anything to add feel free to tack it on if this could be done better. Also data on the Rupes machine's or other machines wouldn't hurt either as I'm sure I can't be the only one interested in this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decibel Rating of Various Polishers

That is very interesting Eric. Thanks for doing this and putting it together.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info and thank you for this effort. Bear in mind that noise induced hearing loss is cumulative. That is, exposure each and every time to damaging levels of noise adds up over time. Trust me, from years working in airport operations, hearing protection was critical equipment.

While these levels don't seem excessive I think about my machines running for hours on end about arm's length from my ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Thanks! I'm pretty sure my trusty HF DA is pretty loud.

I always make it a point to wear ear-plugs whenever I'm running power tools or machines.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I tried to do a thread asking about this a while back and didn't get very far. I'm glad someone was able to put the info out there.

Have you considered looking at the db rating of rotary polishers as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollerstiltner View Post
    Thank you! I tried to do a thread asking about this a while back and didn't get very far. I'm glad someone was able to put the info out there.

Have you considered looking at the db rating of rotary polishers as well?
    I'd be absolutely open to test any other polishers out if I had one. For this I just tested the polishers I had in my collection. If anyone else with a phone and using the same or similar decibel app could verify their readings were extremely similar that would be great to have somewhat of a database for this information. It only helps to have it out in the open.

Ear protection, even something as simple as disposable foam plugs may avoid someone hearing damage in the long run. Even with something as quiet as these machines (comparable to many other noises that could be encountered daily) it could be damaging. It had been quite a while since I used my PC, so imagine my surprise to find at lower speeds how quiet it was comparably.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread, I work with a Rupes and microfiber pad quite a bit. Compressed air is by far the best way to clean your pad after each section, but depending on the psi and air nozzle you are using, this action is most likely even louder than the polisher. I started using ear protection for this reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, which app is this? I think it would be ideal to use the same app as a basis if other users wanted to start doing some further testing with other machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

It's called Decibel 10th and was the first one that popped up on the Apple App Store when I searched decibel meter. 4 stars with over 100 reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, simple app... with some of the worst in-app pop-up ads I've ever seen. It's worth a buck to get rid of the ads.
    Francesco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast