autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abrcrombe
    Forced Induction and reliable hardly belong in the same sentence. You have to pick!! I wish I could pick FI, but $$$$.
    Well not really, know quite a few high power Stang, Porsche, Vette, Viper etc gusy. One of the guys we know has had a TT Viper for almost 3 years including going back a few times for upgrades (more power) and it's been his daily driver pretty much the whole time. Drives the piss out of it to. For whatever reason the S62 in the e39 M5 just does not like forced induction even with upgraded internals and tuning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well of course there will be exceptions, but in general, adding FI to your car hurts your reliability in the long run, especially if you get crazy! I think it is worth it though, but I might change my opinion after I have an engine blow!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many exceptions actually. Look how many vehicles come straight off the showroom floor with superchargers or turbos or both. All with factory warranty's. FI has come along way. The tune is key!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I was talking about aftermarket. Factory installed systems are reliable if you take care of them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    abrcrombe, are you talking about my coupe?

My thoughts are comparing the '06 Z4 M Coupe at 52K or 13k plus labor for Dinan S3 added to my '99 Z3 M Coupe.

The S3 package adds free flow exhaust, ( I already have a Tri-flow that sounds awsome and adds 5 or so hp) lightweight clutch, springs, shocks, anti-roll bars, camber plates, 3.38 limited slip.

I'm also thinking the Dinan supercharger is supposed to be reliable and very streetable.

I have never owned a supercharged car, one reason being reliablity.

I would do a lot more research before pulling the trigger, and it's a lot of money!

What options did you get on the M5 and how fast have you been able to drive her?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have a simple and probably dumb question, but I don't know the answer.

I don't want to do it in my car but I see guys doing burn outs with the front wheels locked up and the back wheels spinning.

How are they locking up the front wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you can just dump and sidestep the clutch and powerbrake it, but it'll eat the rear brake pads rather quickly.

If you enjoy going to the track or turnin'em over frequently, invest in a line lock. Its a solenoid that will just hold the brake line pressure to the front brakes only.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So all around it just tears up everything?

I knew there was an aftermarket solenoid to do that, but I've seen a few car reviews, Corvette and others, that smoke the rears and the fronts seem to be locked up.

I wouldn't think they would install it just for a review. I was wondering how they did it on stock cars.

Tires cost too much to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock cars do it just like I described in the first sentence. Rev, dump clutch to start spinning, cover the brake pedal w/ left foot and mash the gas. The engine will overpower the rear brakes. The front brakes will hold. This is how you see all street cars do burnouts in mags or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dinan offers what, a 1 year warranty with their products. If you are willing to pay the extra coin for the Dinan name and warranty, they have great products. It would be nice to bolt on a supercharger on your m coupe, but yes it does costs a lot of money and reliability CAN be an issue. I won't say it will be an issue, because they can be reliable. In a perfect world, you would do it in a heartbeat. In reality, there are so many factors you need to look at to see if it is right for you.

Burn outs are generally not that great for your car/tires. I mean a couple times isn't going to hurt you, but if you do it all the time trying to impress your friends, it might create problems for you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123