autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration Kit DIY how to Restore Yellowed, Dull, Cloudy, Oxidized Polycarbonate, Plexiglass, PVC in 60 seconds by hand (no machine 100%)

This technique takes 1 minute to restore most headlights or to be more precise 90% of cars & motorcycle plastics can be polished like this, the exception is very, very neglected headlamps, windshields, helmet visors, cabriolet plastic windows, PVC etc. where same technique & chemicals are needed only with the help of machine (drill) & pads/polishing balls. To make it even more complicated the next level is use of wet sanding with 800 & 1500 (2000, 2500 if you want to shorten polishing time by machine) grit sandpaper & to get confused completely you'll like to finish with 2K clear coat spray...but I repeat, 90% of mentioned above plastics can be restored in 1 minute by hand.
    This is what I have achieved using this technique & your results will be the same if not better, 2 minutes is always better than 1 & 3,4,5 is even better but 1 minute is the benchmark, the deviation varies (work + time) = but results will be almost the same, because what first polishing step does is about the maximum result.
    To restore your exterior (interior ex. speedometer in cars & motorbikes) clear plastics you'll need:
    Polishing compound (Intensive Abrasive Index Polish)
    Wax or Sealant/Glaze, Finish Polish
    Microfiber(s)
    Right or Left hand

As you see I don't mention the brands as this is totally unimportant, the best 1st step product will be something that sounds like: polish, polishing compound, swirl remover, scratch remover also something with the name like metal polish is excellent 1st step to polish your headlights.

The 2nd step is needed (but not required) only to better clean the polish residue on the clear plastics, to give more clarity, shine & protection against further deterioration in the future as wax or sealant protects better than polishing compound for example.

When you see that your headlights are not so clear again as when you first polished it last time, just take microfiber & wax it, it will look wonderful again & polishing will not be required.

So polish + microfiber & you start to clean your car/motorbike lenses using moderate to high pressure, then without removing the polish you just applied, squeeze some wax on the microfiber (same microfiber or new one doesn't matter) & start to clean lenses (any clear exterior/interior plastics in boats, cars, air planes & motorbikes) to a perfect clarity.

Now if you think I am joking, I am not. Here are 1 minute results & if you will use this simple technique & will be happy or unhappy about the results, just post your pictures here, I'll be happy to see your compliments & even more complaints.

P.S. If you are Autogeek Car Care Superstore customer all you need is available here, I checked, they got it:
    We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration Kit DIY how to Restore Yellowed, Dull, Cloudy, Oxidized Polycarbonate, Plexiglass, PVC in 60 seconds by hand (no machine 100

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration Kit DIY how to Restore Yellowed, Dull, Cloudy, Oxidized Polycarbonate, Plexiglass, PVC in 60 seconds by hand (no machine 100

Nice work on the head lamps,

But we need more pics of women and food !!!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Nice work on the head lamps,

But we need more pics of women and food !!!
    "Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you."

How long will it take you to restore my daughters 2006 Chevrolet headlights, I go buy us a coffee in a meantime.
    1 minute I said...he was totally shocked after seeing it done by the above mentioned system...Polishing Compound then Wax plus 1 microfiber.

Please post here comments & before/after pics only about 1 minute headlight restoration you did using my patented PlexiCarboPlast System™. Purpose of this thread is to help people explain how to restore headlamps in an easy, relax way. Even if one person will achieve desirable results I will be very, very happy & in 7 heaven.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the polish you use is heavy duty like m105?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike58 View Post
    Are you saying the polish you use is heavy duty like m105?
    Exactly Meguiars M105, this is 1st step then wax, sealant or finish.
    But polishing compound that comes in metal or plastic tins & looks like a paste is the best from my experience, it cleans the lenses faster. M105 is not so liquid & is more like a paste so must be OK.

This method is preferred to wet sanding & even 2K clear coat spray as a finish, because plastics that deteriorate after years, their hardness (polycarbonate hardness is Rockwell M70 & as a funny comparison Fluoropolymer which is used in many PTFE & Teflon polishes & waxes & is considered a very good weather UVA/UVB protection is M30 which means good for a liquid substance) & UVA/UVB resistance is broken not only from the outside where they are clear coated at the factory but all their structure is weakened from the inside, so after much effort the yellowing will come back & then you can't just polish & wax it in 1 minute, you'll need again to wet sand it & make all the process from the beginning which takes few hours, I think it's better just to wax it after they become yellow again, 1 minute is not so much to do it even once a month.
    In my opinion clear coat is only 30% harder than polycarbonate (on this scale would be like M90 maximum) & when applying such coatings on the lenses some of it are UVA treated with a lamp but again, most modern waxes & sealants also offer this kind of weather resistance, weaker than clear coat but when plastic is broken from the inside, so wet sanding, hours of work & you only protect in the end to outer surface with clear coat, but because plastic is broken from the inside, sun & weather will just pass through clear coat without harming it but will harm the plastic below it & this will harm clear coat back side that sits on the broken plastic & then anyway clear coat will break.
    Also keep in mind that clear coat if not of the highest quality will make your headlights look more dark, not so clear & even grey.
    So all the pros & cons leave us with 1 question in the end: Hours of hard work or 1 minute?
    Here everybody decides for him/her self.

These Toyota Prado (or how you call this thing) headlights were little bit foggy so I just waxed it, took me 30 seconds.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. How long have you been doing this and do you charge for it?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike58 View Post
    Thanks for the response. How long have you been doing this and do you charge for it?

I restore headlights for 2Y almost & till I learned the easy way doing it took me about 1Y, in the beginning I bought Headlights Restoration Kits but it took a very long time to complete about 4 hours to do it perfect, even if I have used only the best 2K clear coating for the finish, still after less than 1Y headlights became grey, less clear, not looking new because look above that polycarbonate & perspex break not only where it's wet sanded but much beneath so 2K clear coat protection is only temporary. By the way of experimenting with materials & chemistry I came myself to now the best for me system: Polishing Compound & Wax or Sealant.
    Even here you can 2K clear coat the headlights, if you see that it looks clarity OK, just wipe the headlights with paint or adhesive remover to remove all polish & wax & you can spray it with 2K clear coat.

Yes I do get paid for my work even if some might think I do it for free prices range from $34-55 depending on the situation, but 2 minutes is not much work, believe me. For example if drivers pass through authorized garage they will pay there $100-200, leave there car for many hours & result will be polishing by machine with any polish they got at hand & if 2K clear coat then the cheapest, it breaks after 1 month something Made in China, so when I say my price & most people know that when passing yearly inspection test their headlights will be checked, the price is so low that most say YES, plus to those who want I give a receipt as well, so all is legal & 1Y warranty, in 2Y only 1 guy called me to do it again & even his headlights started yellowing, he would pass the test as they check the minimum lumen.

Now back to basics of this thread

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

These headlights need comment, the guy asked me how I can restore it? 1 year ago they were 2K clear coated & he didn't believe I will be able to restore it in 1 minute by hand? Without wet sanding? No machine? Take a look I say:
    Polishing Compound then Wax, that's it. Aha, plus 1 microfiber.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Each time people ask me, how long it takes? 1 minute please, I say.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast