autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My 2nd Tesla With Interesting One Step

This customer approached me after ordering his Tesla. He wanted it coated with CQF and I was excited to do it as this was only my second Tesla. I still had fond memories of the first one. This car was silver. I was thinking about what the one step polish combo would be that I would do to this car a few days ahead of getting it (I do a one step polish for my new car coating package). I had considered two divergent strategies: either softer pad with a medium polish or a harsher pad with a softer polish. I'll share in a minute what those were and how they worked.

Here it is as it arrived:

When I saw the car, I knew I had to pull the wheels. In all honesty, these wheels would really benefit from having the barrels coated as well. Luckily the customer agreed. First up was to clean the wheels, barrels and wells. The barrels had some tar in them already and Tarminator got rid of that in short order. That was followed by Zep Citrus. This process was done for the barrels and the faces. The wells were cleaned with LATA. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505.

Next the car was washed with DG 901 followed by a secondary decontamination wash with IronX paste. It was then brought inside and was blown off with my Master Blaster. The car was then clayed using the Speedy Prep towel.

I had asked the customer if he knew what the wheel torque specs were and he thought it was 120 ft/lb. That seemed high to me. I went onto a Tesla forum and then posted the question on FB. Wes (who has literally done hundreds of these) responded quickly and confirmed what the forum info was: 129 ft/lb. Wow, that's high! Each wheel was removed and the barrel was intensely cleaned with Tarminator if need be and ONR to make sure it was perfectly clean. After that, it was chemically cleaned with DG Squeaky Clean to ensure a proper bond with the CQF. I am a firm, firm believer in the importance of using SC prior to coating. The barrel was then given 2 coats of CQF which was flash cured. I shot a video of the flash curing to show CQF and Americoat installers how it helps. The wells were then shot with Permanon. The calipers were also coated with 2 coats of CQF even though it did not help their appearance due to the type of paint used on them (not glossy). The faces were cleaned and coated in the same fashion.

Here is the well all done:

Here is the face all done:

Here is another shot showing the barrel:

Each wheel was re-installed and torqued to 129 using my Snap On torque wrench.

One thing that I do (because I'm nuts) is coat the Tesla key fob. I just think it's the coolest damned key I've ever seen and deem it worthy of being coated, so I do. Here is the key for this one having been coated with a double coat of CQF:

Back to the single stage polishing. My goal was to make the paint shimmer. I wanted to try my D300 with an orange B/F pad and it created a pretty damned nice finish. I honestly thought that was what I was going to go with. The other option I was considering however was to use the aggressive yellow B/S pad with M205. Now, before you go off on how hard and unforgiving that pad is, remember this: I first get it soaking wet with hot water and then wring it out and spin it on my rotary at 3,000 rpm. It makes it damp and more importantly, very pliable. It literally changes how the pad feels and acts IMO. I combined that with M205 and did a test spot. BABY!! Check this out:

So, the car got that combo followed by DG Squeaky Clean via green B/S pad. Both stages were done with Flex 3401.

The only real mark I found on the car was the RR tail lens. It had a small scratch in it. I think this pic captures it. I also shot the surrounding area in an attempt to capture on camera the before and after difference of the polishing combo.

205 got rid of the scratch:

Surrounding area:

The paint and glass were all double coated with CQF and then baked via IR lights:

The windshield was coated with Fly-By-30. The trim was coated with DLux. The tires shot with Opti Bond at 100% through my mini air gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 2nd Tesla With Interesting One Step

Here she is all done with both no sun and some sun shots as I got lucky right before he arrived to get it:

When I coat a Tesla, I make the door handles pop out and then coat them as well as the painted part behind them.

That was supposed to be the end of the photos, but I got lucky with the sun and it really showed off the look I had been going for, so please humour me with indulging in just a few more. The metallic paint on this car is stunning...

Loving the reflection from the chrome door handles:

And lastly, here is the happy owner pulling away....

Thanks so much for looking. Comments always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Richy. I've done two Tesla's so far and both I used 205 and uber orange pads with good results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning!! Out of curiosity, have you ever used a Rupes 21? I own the Flex 3401 as well and can't justify the need to buy the Rupes. Curious as to your thoughts since you have this stuff down to a science!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Great work Richy. I've done two Tesla's so far and both I used 205 and uber orange pads with good results.
    I have used Reflect as a one stepper too before as well, but 205 is just so damned good!! I am just in love with these cars!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver5882 View Post
    Stunning!! Out of curiosity, have you ever used a Rupes 21? I own the Flex 3401 as well and can't justify the need to buy the Rupes. Curious as to your thoughts since you have this stuff down to a science!
    I do, yes, I own a Rupes 21. I don't reach for it very often. I'd rather correct with my Flex and sometimes I'll polish with the Rupes, but I just am so very comfortable using the Flex and I just love the results I get with it too. I admit I bought it out of all the hype and also admit that I'm one of the few who didn't get blown away by it. I use what consistently works for me, time and time again....the 3401. I would have been better to buy a back up 3401 than the Rupes really. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    I have used Reflect as a one stepper too before as well, but 205 is just so damned good!! I am just in love with these cars!!

I do, yes, I own a Rupes 21. I don't reach for it very often. I'd rather correct with my Flex and sometimes I'll polish with the Rupes, but I just am so very comfortable using the Flex and I just love the results I get with it too. I admit I bought it out of all the hype and also admit that I'm one of the few who didn't get blown away by it. I use what consistently works for me, time and time again....the 3401. I would have been better to buy a back up 3401 than the Rupes really. Oh well.
    I only use the 21 for large panels really everything else its worthless really and use my Griots for everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Richy - great choice of polishes and pads and great results. How do you rate Carpro Reflect compared toM205? I am not getting great results with Reflect probably because the abrasives diminish too quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Richy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nubaseal View Post
    Richy - great choice of polishes and pads and great results. How do you rate Carpro Reflect compared toM205? I am not getting great results with Reflect probably because the abrasives diminish too quickly.
    Carpro Reflect is great been using for awhile now and have to say it's much easier to use than Menz 4500. It wipes off so easy and thing the shine you get is better than Menz 4500.

Post Thanks / Like

Top job as usual Richy ! Great How To . lots of great lookin pix , keep it on .
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast