autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 BMW 335i

Post Thanks / Like

2013 BMW 335i

I was really looking forward to doing this car. The customer drove from a few hours away to have me coat it with OG. He is the brother of a girl that I knew from the University of Western Ontario. She used to date a fraternity brother of mine back then. They both came to my wedding 22.5 years ago.
    The cool thing was that he is very into cars and was quite sincere about helping out. He put up with my eccentric taste in music (he heard everything from Godsmack to Chicago, LOL) and we had a great time working on his car. We had some real time constraints too, so I actually really needed his help to meet the deadline....and we did with about 10 minutes to spare...whew!! We took about exactly 8 hours to do the whole job.

Here it is as it arrived. He had his set of Summer wheels and tires in the car too so we also cleaned and coated those, although I have no pics of the other wheels. In fact, I had already done 3 of the wheels when I remembered I hadn't taken any "before" shots yet. So, here they are:

Here's one dirty wheel:

First up was the Summer wheels which were already clean, but he told me he had used a wash and wax product to clean them. I then re-cleaned them by first spraying Zep Citrus at 4:1 and allowing that to dwell and then using a wash mitt dipped in DG 901 mix with Dawn poured directly onto the mitt. I was damned sure there was no wax after those 2 steps! I had him blow them off with the Master Blaster while I then attended to the wheels on the car.

Those wheels were first treated to Wolf's Decon gel on the faces and barrels and agitated with the Raceglaze XL brush on the barrels and RG detail brush on the faces. That was followed up with Zep Citrus on both barrels and faces. The tires were cleaned with Zep 505. (He actually commented on how they were cleaner than when he got them brand new...I really love 505 on tires!) The wells were cleaned with Zep Citrus.

The car was then foamed (mix of DG 901 and Zep Citrus) and all the gaps and seams and emblems, etc done while the foam was dwelling:

I have found that the metallic paint on the BMW's is quite hard, so I chose a yellow B/S pad with Megs D300 for a one step. There were a few scratches that actually required my black TB wool and the rotary to correct along with Menz FG500. I used my Flex for the D300 stage. I had him follow behind with my Megs DA and a black B/S 4" pad and DG Squeaky Clean after giving him a lesson on how to use it. He was a quick study fortunately. He did the paint and glass with it and did the chrome grille by hand. Here is a shot of my customer hard at work:

The car was polished and then given a fast wipedown with ONR to make sure no dust or whatever was present. The glass was sealed with Opt Glass coating. The paint and wheels were coated with OG. It had a clear bra at the front which I buffed with a white B/S and D300 followed by the DG SC. It was coated too. The chrome exhaust tips were done with Colli Metal Wax. It was already dark outside so we only have inside shots. Enjoy!

Reflection shot:

I tried to capture some shots with the cool looking lights on too:

Thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 BMW 335i

Great job, that metalic really pops, sun shots would be blinding.
    Rims turned out great too.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the new look of these BMW's.

Great job! Sometimes I find that having a helper actually slows me down, glad this wasn't the case with your customer.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cartman57 View Post
    Great job, that metalic really pops, sun shots would be blinding.
    Rims turned out great too.
    Thank you. I was bummed it was so foggy that day; it would have been great to capture some full-on sun shots for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I love the new look of these BMW's.

Great job! Sometimes I find that having a helper actually slows me down, glad this wasn't the case with your customer.
    In all honesty, he was great. He didn't mind me smoking a cigar while I worked on polishing (which I really like to do) and was helpful without being intrusive. We worked well together on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange, the color looks like M-Sport exclusive, but its got the 'Modern Line' wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic job on a beautiful new M sport 3 Richy. Any pictures of his summer wheels?

Which cigar did you fancy?

It is an M sport with Le mans blue metallic and since he has the winter wheels/tires on it I guess he liked the look of the Modern line wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work richy!
    It's funny but I don't seem to be able to work well with Collinite 850 (at least not as well as with others, like Optimum)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    Strange, the color looks like M-Sport exclusive, but its got the 'Modern Line' wheels.
    I know he factory ordered it himself, so I'm not sure what he was able to customize.

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Fantastic job on a beautiful new M sport 3 Richy. Any pictures of his summer wheels?

Which cigar did you fancy?

It is an M sport with Le mans blue metallic and since he has the winter wheels/tires on it I guess he liked the look of the Modern line wheels.
    Thank you! I didn't even think of it for the wheels unfortunately. My concentration was getting through the job with the time constraints. They looked great and were actually an easier design to keep clean. They had an M emblem on them if that helps?
    As far as the cigar goes, I was smoking a Tony Alvarez barber pole that I got from Cuban Crafters in Miami. They are a very, very cool cigar as they are a mix of 2 different types of wrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by RMM View Post
    Great work richy!
    It's funny but I don't seem to be able to work well with Collinite 850 (at least not as well as with others, like Optimum)...
    The best luck I have with it is to use a white terry towel to put it on with and then remove with a mf. And..thanks very much!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the cigar goes, I was smoking a Tony Alvarez barber pole that I got from Cuban Crafters in Miami. They are a very, very cool cigar as they are a mix of 2 different types of wrapper.
    I've been to Cuban Crafters before! I've been to almost all of the factories in Little Havana besides the El Credito and Padron . They have the strangest hours.

Great job on the BMW! I love that color. It was featured on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

Great job as usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast