autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hit & Run Scuff Mark Repair: 2008 Honda Civic - Alabaster Silver Metallic

Equipment:
    Meguiar's G110v2
    Meguiar's W67DA Backing Plate
    Meguiar's M105 / LC Orange Pads
    Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer
    Automotive 1000/2000 grit sand paper
    IPA
    OEM Honda Touch-up Paint
    Toothpick

My good friend unfortunately got involved in a hit and run accident. He had to go to downtown for work during the week it happened. He chose to park in a car park building for safety purposes. When he left work to go home, he was greeted with this:

It was actually worse at the time of the accident. The right side of the rear bumper was hanging down. Luckily, he was able to re-attached his rear bumper. The edge of his rear tail lights were damaged as well. I couldn't believe that someone would hit a car that bad and not even have the conscience to leave a note... I mean you hit someone's car and leave such damage?!?! That's just ridiculous. Sorry to sound so rude but I hope karma haunts him down and kicks his/her a$$!!! I hate people who have no respect for other people's property. Especially on something you truly care about.

Anyway enough about my rant. It's not even my car and this thread is not about the accident but on how the car was brought back to life.

I recently read this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...procedure.html (Thanks for the guide Richy!!!)

Given how my friend's car got hit, I was inspired by the thread. I told my friend that i think I can repair the damage and I told him to come over.

When the car arrived, it was just a little dusty. I used Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer to wipe off the dirt and grime from the paint. I saw that the damage had some paint transfer involved so I tried to remove that first. I used my G110v2 and M105 to remove the paint transfer damage and i was left with this:

At this point, my friend was already ecstatic because there was some improvement made. The damage wasn't as bad as it was originally.

The next step was to try and apply the touch up paint. I used IPA to properly prep and clean the paint surface so that the paint can adhere to the bumper properly. What I did was to use a toothpick to apply the paint to the bumper scuffs. I made sure to try and apply the paint and leave it higher than the surrounding OEM paint. We left the car outside to let the paint cure for 4 hours. When we came back and inspected the touch up paint application, I was shocked to see the paint's level drop. The paint seems to have sunken into the bumper leaving us with a lower level to work with. At this point, I told my friend that we could apply another layer to the damaged areas and let it cure for another 4-5 hours. He didn't have time to do that and he was already satisfied with what he's seeing. Since I was given a go ahead, what I did was to wetsand the areas where the paint was applied and some scuff marks which M105 didn't take out. I wetsanded it first with 1000 grit followed by 2000 grit. After this, I polished the paint with M105 via my G110v2. Here are the results:

Close-up of the touch up repair:

I know it's not a perfect fix like the one Richy did but the owner was extremely satisfied with the outcome. He said he can live with that and now he doesn't really have to spend $700-800 to get his bumper fixed. I'm also happy with the outcome.

What do you guys think?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hit & Run Scuff Mark Repair: 2008 Honda Civic - Alabaster Silver Metallic

I think you did an amazing job. Only if you knew about the original damage and knew where to look would you notice it. To all but us perfectionist it's like it never even happened. I'm sure your friend is thrilled. Thanks for sharing.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Much much improved! I think you did a pretty good job. Like Spiney said, you'd have to know where to look because it wouldn't jump out at you right away
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! It sickens me that people think it's ok to damage someone's car and then just drive away. Ugh

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding! Great job and i bet your friend is ecstatic. I mean, shoot, he was happy after the buff out!

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously how can you do this and not stop or put your information on the window?!? Nice touch up though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!! I sincerely appreciate it.

Yeah I really don't understand how people just drive off like that... I mean people should have the decency and conscience to at least admit to the fault and leave a note. If people just acted right, we'll live in a much better world... *sigh*
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me.

There was a time when people actually regretted doing things like this, and owned up to it. Also a time when parking spaces were big enough to park a full size car in and open the door without hitting the car next to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantisic job! Turned out great and like everyone else said you can't really notice it. My rear bumper, all 4 doors, hood, 4 fenders, and front bumper all had to be re-painted (long story, the roof and trunk lid are still original paint ) it drives me crazy because none of them match the OEM paint but most people never notice it, only me. You ever see hot girls driving then you notice their missing a side mirror because they hit something? I say a chick the other day that was missing BOTH! HAHAHA now thats noticeable. Great work again!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!!! I sincerely appreciate it.

Yeah I really don't understand how people just drive off like that... I mean people should have the decency and conscience to at least admit to the fault and leave a note. If people just acted right, we'll live in a much better world... *sigh*
    haha you should ride with me for a week. You would be amazed at how people act, lie, steal, cheat etc....

Great job on the fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast