autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight sealant: spar urethane vs. opti coat 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
    Last I checked they still looked good. Its my sisters car, so I don't always see it too often. I don't think its even been washed since the restoration, so it will have a heavy film of grime and bug guts, not to mention our part of the country has had a record number of triple digit temperatures, so the lights definitely got tested. I will try to get some pictures uploaded soon.
    Hotrod.....very cool...can't wait to see some pics. I've been contemplating switching to the Opti-coat. We have had some hot temps here in Daytona Beach, Florida as well. Where are your record triple digit temps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reggie1967 View Post
    i compounded it i talk to gary and he told me not to compound wipe with alcohol and wipe the mixture and stir real good i guess by compounding it messed it up
    Ahh.......yes, compound will do that. Glad you found the solution. There's nothing worse than not knowing why something didn't work as expected. Keep up the good work....it shows that ya care.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see some pics as well from Hot Rod, I am wanting to try the Spar Urethane method just seems right to me, Want to say hello to you Part-Timer I see your in Daytona, I'm in Orlando, heat has been letting up lately over here so hopefully better for work
    Quote Originally Posted by Part-timer View Post
    Hotrod.....very cool...can't wait to see some pics. I've been contemplating switching to the Opti-coat. We have had some hot temps here in Daytona Beach, Florida as well. Where are your record triple digit temps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Blu View Post
    Would love to see some pics as well from Hot Rod, I am wanting to try the Spar Urethane method just seems right to me, Want to say hello to you Part-Timer I see your in Daytona, I'm in Orlando, heat has been letting up lately over here so hopefully better for work
    Howdy neighbor..........whats the going rate there in O-town? I've recently run into some competition here. Someone running around doing headlights for $25 a set!! I dunno how they can make any money like that, considering the time and effort involved. I'm lucky to have one dealer that loves my work and sticks with me. He told me about the $25 person and how he told them....."No thanks, I've got a guy already"

Post Thanks / Like

As promised here is an update.

3 months after restoration spar urethane vs. opti coat 2.0

The hot Kansas summer definitely put these coatings to the test. We've had many 100+ temperature days this summer. And I don't think this test car has been washed since I did the restoration. So the bug guts really baked into the lights all summer. And neither coating stood up to the bug guts as it left scaring behind even after cleaning the lights. So, wash your car more often than once every three months.

So here are some pictures:
    Drivers side Opti Coated

Before washing

Before washing

After washing

After washing

After washing

My observations: The opti coat side seemed to suffer a little in my opinion, it almost looks as if it is showing signs of failure already, which is disappointing. Now that the tough summer is over, it should last a good deal longer, but how long? The signs of possible failure are very faint, and is not close to needing redone yet. Its very hard to capture what I see through photos. But it also suffered a few bug gut scarring that will not wash off as did the spar urethane side. The opti coat side still looks pretty decent considering what it went through this summer.

Passengers side Spar Urethane

Before washing

Before washing

After washing

After washing

My observations: The spar urethane light is still looking pretty good, but it does have a few more bug gut scarring than the other side. The bug guts ate into both coatings under our hot, hot summer. No signs of the coating deteriorating whatsoever, no streaks, no haze, and no yellowing. And this is the non polished version of the coating treatment. Neither light was easier to clean, I used optimum no rinse and microfiber rags to clean them with. They both showed signs of beading when they were wet.

After I thoroughly cleaned these lights I sprayed them with water to check for water beading properties. This is the opti coated side, not sure if its suppose to be beading more, since I have not used it much.

And here is the spar urethane side after washing and drying, I then sprayed it with water and it showed a little water beading as well.

Spar urethane side after 3 months

Opti coated side after 3 months

To sum it all up, after 3 months of grueling summer weather, the urethane side gets a slight edge in durability an looks thus far. I will continue this experiment with more updates every 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's a little disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the spar light looks to have retained clarity better that the oc light.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but something has to be wrong here. I don't see how a varnish can last longer than Opti Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Hotrod......Thanks for the awesome update with pics. I too am kind of shocked. So many people praise the opti-coat and talk down the spar. I figured the opti would be a clear winner. I've never used opti-coat just the spar, but I was seriously contemplating buying some to try. Don't think I will now. Thanks, ya saved me 60 bucks! lol
    P.S. I used to drag race in Manhattan Kansas.....from Nebraska...you anywhere close? (I'm in Florida now)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Part-timer View Post
    Hotrod......Thanks for the awesome update with pics. I too am kind of shocked. So many people praise the opti-coat and talk down the spar. I figured the opti would be a clear winner. I've never used opti-coat just the spar, but I was seriously contemplating buying some to try. Don't think I will now. Thanks, ya saved me 60 bucks! lol
    P.S. I used to drag race in Manhattan Kansas.....from Nebraska...you anywhere close? (I'm in Florida now)
    I am in mid western Kansas(Hays), probably 3 or 4 hours west of Manhattan on I-70.

I had no clue that the opti coat would be showing signs of failure already, depending on how long it lasts, it might not be much better than using Klasse for headlight restorations. I don't think optimum made this product for headlight restorations though, its mainly for paint protection. And its got rave reviews from what I have heard on paint. But how long does it last? Supposedly its permanent. I have a few more syringes of opti coat to use, so I might do some durability testing of my own on paint, and see for myself. Here is a question for someone: whats more durable opti coat or c quartz?

Not sure why so many people talk down on the spar treatment, it works for me. Some people just can't wrap their heads around the idea of using wood urethane on headlights, I understand that, but the results speak for themselves. IMO Also, I don't know why some people are having bad luck with it, maybe they are not mixing things up properly, maybe the lens is not prepped right, etc.... I think some problems people are having are not stirring the urethane up enough when they open the can, before they pour it into their mixing cup with the mineral spirits.

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast