autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to protect cars front end form road stones etc

Hello all Autogeeks, this is my first entry, however I have enjoyed the discussions in the forum. I own a 05 E500 4matic Benz, which I enjoy. My question concerns protecting the paint/front end of my carfrom stones/etc. kicked up by trucks. I was wondering if using wax on top of Kleasse A10/ Klasse sealent will help. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MBluvr

Post Thanks / Like
    The wax will help against bugs sticking and their guts damaging the paint, but there will be no added protection against rocks/debris.

I would recommend getting a clear bra (3M or similar), costs a lot $600 - $800 depending upon installer but protects the paint very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only protection against road stones is leave it in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    for that kind of a ride [NICE ONE BTW! ] Call around and look for a reputable Clear Bra installer. The best way to do this is by finding local car clubs/forums/etc.. and they will 9 times /10 know a good installer.

A clear Bra is the best way to protect against this from happening.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into a clear Bra. If one is applied, does it damage the finish when removed? I am concerned about trucks throwing stones, recently a stone hit my windshield resulting in a crack that cost me and the insurance $954 to replace.
    Thanks again for your quick replies.

MBluvr

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBluvr
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into a clear Bra. If one is applied, does it damage the finish when removed? I am concerned about trucks throwing stones, recently a stone hit my windshield resulting in a crack that cost me and the insurance $954 to replace.
    Thanks again for your quick replies.

MBluvr
    If anything itll show you cared for the car. A MB with a flawless front end cant be too damaging to its resale value

About taking it off.. Ive never heard of someone taking it off. They stay on there for quite a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend with a clearbra on his 350Z and frankly it looks awful. You can very clearly see he has it on there as it's completely discolored. It's a ClearBra.

What I'm trying to say is if you really decide to have this installed on your vehicle, make sure you do your research and find a proper pruduct and professional installer to do the work for you.

On the other hand, you can just enjoy the vehicle you have and try and take care of it as well as possible. If the rock hits your car, the clearbra will only do so much. Careful driving and keeping your distance is probably 80% of it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new 07 G35 Sport on order and have been debating (while I impatiently wait for it's arrival) in my head about how to handle the front... I've decided that at the cost of a clear bra, $600-$800, and the fact that they are visible and take away from the cars appearance slightly, and they only protect against most tiny rocks and debris while offering zero protection against anything you can pickup with your fingers, plus the removal process and expense when you want to take it off.

I think I'd rather go without it and take my chances, for all the negitives and costs, I'd rather just have the front repainted, and if it's really just a small amount of nick's and minor chips, you could just have it detailed to "good enough for a 6 year old car". if it takes a big enough hit, the bra wasn't going to help you out anyway.

as P1et stated, and I'd probably go even further, 95% of it is keeping your distance, not just from trucks, as in the long run, the cars do considerably more damage then trucks because you probably drive behind hundreds of cars a week, vs the handful of trucks doing 50+ mph in the same week.

Post Thanks / Like
    DRIVE BACKWARDS

Seriously though .... chips are bound to happen. Bras can flap and damage the paint. Clear bra's deterioate and yellow over time. Other than detailing, there is no sure fire way to remedy or lessen these marks.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    DRIVE BACKWARDS
    And what about to protect the rear-end of the car? Then my trunk will have rock chips!

That there sounded very whinney...

Joey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast